C5 2001 indicator fault?????
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 2001 indicator fault?????

A friend of mine has a 2001 C5 with a problem that occurs when using the left hand indicators.
    Right signalling is working properly but the left does not work at all on the exterior lights. However the turn direction light in the instrument cluster functions intermittently in regular rhythm and at other times with a very rapid ticking and flashing.
    All of the wiring in the rear is in order after a recent repair to the panels and light clusters caused by a rear end shunt. Yes I did confirm that the earth lead is actually earthing to the frame!
    All that remains to do is to check the flasher unit itself but before we delve into the dash space I would like a few ideas from any one who has experience of similar faults!

Advertisement
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Does the hazard light function properly? If so you can then eliminate the globes and wiring and concentrate on control issues, viz the flasher unit. Worthwhile checking the simple things first. Also fuses?
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Hazard not checked but fuses and globes are all OK
    Cheers Gerry

Hazards are now checked and only work on the right hand side!
    I am beginning to suspect the flasher unit!
    Cheers Gerry

1000+ Posts

Most probably front or rear globe on left side;this would account for rapid flash on dash,Andy.

1000+ Posts

Hi, Probably bad news. It is probably caused by the Com2000 unit failing. It controls the blinkers, lights, wipers, sound system and a lot else too. It's called that because it's a Com(mon) fault and costs 2000 to fit a new one

Perhaps not as bad as that, but I am talking about the computerised unit under the steering wheel which does all those things and is known to fail in a lot of different and odd manners. Lucky if his has lasted this long without something failing before this. There is no flasher unit ! why use one of those when a computer can do the same thing but badly

You might have to get a part number and see what they cost on Ebay from the UK. There are a lot of different part numbers for all the Citroen and Peugeot models, which incidently are all fitted with one up to currently, so do not jump in and order. Probably less than $300 these days and fitting of course. That is not so hard to do.

If you wish to get a part number then supply a VIN number for the car and I or someone can look it up on the official Citroen site.

Good luck jaahn

I am sure that My friend will appreciate the assistance ---if not the bad news!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information