Citroen C5 HDI 2.2 suspension oil leak
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: Citroen C5 HDI 2.2 suspension oil leak

Default Citroen C5 HDI 2.2 suspension oil leak

On the rear passengers side At the rear I have had a slowly developing suspension oil leak and am interested to learn if it is ok to drive it over the holidays and what the likely cause of the leak is and if it is a common problem. I live in an area where Citroens are thin on the ground.

cheeers

Advertisement

Bruce

1000+ Posts

Gaiter? Sphere? Pipe joint?

1000+ Posts

Hi Bruce,
    I think you will need to supply more details to get a usable answer. There are no common leaks there AFAIK. Put it on high and see what is the area that it is coming from based on seasinks suggestions.
    How much is leaking ? a drip or a puddle ? Have you any spare fluid ? How long has it been leaking ? Do you know how to check the fluid level ?
    Jaahn

Thanks Jaahn

It has been leaking for about a year starting off very slowly. I would be interested to learn how I can check the fluid level to take me over Christmas.

cheers

bruce

Fellow Frogger

Bruce, check the fluid by placing the car at the lowest setting. Remove the RH cover (clip centres lift up to free the clips) and make sure the LDS is about at the seam in the tank. That's close enough.

The source of the leakage is likely to be the seal and/or the piston in the cylinder, which sometimes 'pick up' a little. Try tightening the external clamp a fraction if it's leaking around the boot, but the cylinder will likely need to be either serviced or possibly replaced.

If it's slow, it should not stop you driving it provided the fluid level is OK.

Thanks David

1000+ Posts

Default Oils aint oils !

Hi Bruce
    The next problem is where to get the oil if needed. The Citroen Car Club in NSW have it.
    When I had a leak I went to a show in Sydney and got a couple of bottles from Bruce in the Citroen Car Club. I fixed the leak, filled it up and then having the fluid available in the car at all times was enough to ensure I did not have another one It went with the car recently. However It seems wise to carry any oil that will be hard to get in a hurry !!

Jaahn
    JohnW likes this.

Happy Christmas Jaahn

Sensible advice which I will follow through with.

cheers

bruce

Hi Bruce, you will just have to have a look to see what's going on there. That oil is VERY expensive, and also seems to be able to almost dissolve many kinds of rubber, like the kind which seals your rocker covers, the harmonic balance pulley, the crank/case breather hose, and electrical insulation rubbers, as it previously did on my C5 for the delight of the previous owner.
    It could be just the rubber cover on the suspension boot might have a small cut, or one of the return lines might have come out of the rubber cover from where it connects. If that's the case, just pop it back in. Good luck.

Good advice George

At this time of year it is hard to get a mechanic to even put it up on the hoist and have a captain cook but obviously that is a starting point armed with the info I have so far. In a week or so mechanics may be interested in tackling it.

thanks again George

Thread Information