• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen
  • 1 Post By seasink
  • 2 Post By George 1/8th

Thread: Parts prices for C5

Default Parts prices for C5

Hey C5 owners,
    ok, I now have a C5 V6, 2004 model. Drove it 360 odd ks last Sunday, family Christmas gathering at Hepburn. Fully laden with passengers etc.... amazing drive and performance. Could not fault it.

I was wondering if the front spheres may need testing for gas pressure. Just to check that everything is ok.
    I contacted a parts importer for pricing of V6 front spheres... JUST $550.00 EACH. Bloody hell...that's a bit steep. I contacted the company that the previous owner went to for all his car servicing... Bayford Citroen of South Yarra, " Sorry, we no longer service citroen and we have no parts." I asked them " Since when?" and they said about 4 months.
    Just out of interest I phoned the local Citroen Dealer and got put through to to their Spare Parts office. I was now quoted a mere $688.00 each, but nothing in stock, they would have to order the parts.
    These prices are so steep that there's no wonder they don't sell any.
    I could import them myself from Poland or Russia for less, in fact I could probably fly to Poland and get them for less.
    Needless to say I found a V6 at the wreckers, removed the front spheres and took them home. Ridiculously cheap, the 2 spheres and a door lock for under $40.00 all up.
    I tested the 2 spheres on my little home made sphere pressure tester, made out of a CX HP pump, a regulator, an oil pressure gauge and a return tube. Both spheres held 52 Bar, the actual Specified pressure stamped into them.
    Well that's my Christmas present to me. Couldn't be happier. I have read on some UK forum that was discussing how to de-pressurise the suspension on a C5 that you don't need a lexia to do it. Apparently just setting the height to LOW is enough, I'm thinking it would also need to be jacked up a little to completely reduce the system suspension pressure. I'm just curious to see exactly what pressure is in these 10 year old spheres. Warren, I remember you asking about spheres recently for a C5, and now an XM. How did you get on?
    George 1/8th.

Advertisement

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

[QUOTE=.

I contacted a parts importer for pricing of V6 front spheres... JUST $550.00 EACH. Bloody hell...that's a bit steep. I contacted the company that the previous owner went to for all his car servicing... Bayford Citroen of South Yarra, " Sorry, we no longer service citroen and we have no parts." I asked them " Since when?" and they said about 4 months.
    Just out of interest I phoned the local Citroen Dealer and got put through to to their Spare Parts office. I was now quoted a mere $688.00 each, but nothing in stock, they would have to order the parts.
    QUOTE]

Don't get ripped off!

I've never heard of such outrageous quotes for spheres.

You don't need to get them from Poland either. Sphere for c5 should be approx. 40pounds direct from France or England.

Here''s a link to a reliable company:

Buy new sphere Citroen Xantia, C5, C6, CX, IFHS, SM, XM, Bx, Peugeot, Rolls
    danielsydney likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

1000+ Posts

From the 2004 handbook:
    Parts prices for C5-depress.jpg Parts prices for C5-depress2.jpg
    danielsydney likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I have recently got new spheres from "myparts.org", helpful, price less than $100 each including freight but depends on the value of the dollar & the euro, contact them & get current price, good people.

Regards

agd123

Fellow Frogger

Also consider that the later LHM (greay paint and/or 3 dimples) and all LDS spheres from the factory had better membrane technology, which is why George has found a set of used front spheres still at 52 Bar. Sometimes, it may be worth paying the extra for factory parts, but you would certainly look for alternatives to the $700 option.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I got spheres for both my XM and C5 from this mob. The spheres are Lizart so, good quality and the service is very good AU600.00 or there abouts will get you a full set delivered:
    citropart-shop.de - Citroen Autoteile, KFZ-Ersatzteile, Federkugeln *-*Citroen Ersatzteile Shop

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I got spheres for both my XM and C5 from this mob. The spheres are Lizart so, good quality and the service is very good AU600.00 or there abouts will get you a full set delivered:
    citropart-shop.de - Citroen Autoteile, KFZ-Ersatzteile, Federkugeln *-*Citroen Ersatzteile Shop

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and helpful replies. I made a discovery yesterday, a couple actually.
    1. I returned to the wreckers for a few more spheres since they are so cheap, and if I don't grab them now they will be melted down very soon. Grabbed another 3, a pair of spare rear ones and the centre sphere as well. What surprised me was that the centre one was 42 Bar ( stamped on it- genuine one too ) and had a Baffle. The two rear ones were rated at only 25 bar each.
    2. I had some issues to deal with on my wife's Camry, this took most of the rest of the afternoon. Finally I decided to bite the bullet and depressurise the C5, and remove the front spheres , and swap in the replacements. OK... all went well, no problems, far easier than I expected. Geez these silver spheres are slippery to get a grip on. The originals that came with this C5 are ALSO at spec...right on 52 Bar each. I find this pretty amazing, as they are probably the originals, so also 10 years old.
    So, I probably didn't have to do this, but since I have done so a couple of things become apparent. I now know exactly what pressures the spheres have, and I have some spares if I should ever need them, and at $5.00 each I think I'm well ahead.
    Driving to work and driving home are now both highlights of my day, not kidding. This C5 is far more of a step up than I ever imagined . I also like it's size , and it's height as well as the headroom. And being a V6, I'm still getting used to it. I also like all of the electronics too.
    cheers...
    PS. just as a reference for future C5 owners who want to depressurise the system, I started with the height at normal, ran a small trolley jack under the drivers side jacking point on the body, raised it a few pumps, then set the height to LOW and let it idle for about a minute , then switched it all off. The left side of the car lowered down fully, right to the bottom travel of the wheels, while the jack held up the drivers side. Now both drivers side wheels were suspended in the air. In this config the system is at zero or negative pressure, and now both spheres can be changed. I used a plastic bag to catch any spilled LDS, and got it all. No more than half a golf ball in volume per side. Before unscrewing the spheres I did disconnect the battery, just to be sure , though it probably isn't necessary with the key removed.
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 29th December 2014 at 09:00 AM.
    GreenBlood and Clogzz like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the write up on changing the spheres George. Will find it useful whenever I need to do mine, still a while away yet I think going on how it is performing.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

1000+ Posts

Hi, Just to hijack the thread for personal gain
    I have a pair of rear comfort spheres for a C5 for offer in the parts section. See how easy they would be to fit and try out
    Jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi, Just to hijack the thread for personal gain
    I have a pair of rear comfort spheres for a C5 for offer in the parts section. See how easy they would be to fit and try out
    Jaahn
    Hi Jaahn,
    what is the pressure stamped on the 'comfort' rear spheres? The original rear ones I took off a wreck on Sunday were stamped at 25 Bar... which I thought would be a bit low, but apparently not so. I was also surprised to find that the centre sphere was a 44 bar, but WITH a damper...

1000+ Posts

How do they compare with these tables?
    Parts prices for C5-spheres.jpgParts prices for C5-spheres2.jpgParts prices for C5-spheres3.jpg

Hi SS, my car has HI...52 bar on the front, HZ...25 Bar on the rear and HR 44 Bar on the centre spheres, same as the donor car at the wreckers. I couldn't see all of those mentioned on your chart, but this car is a V6 Petrol 4 speed auto. There might be some variation to these charts.
    The other variable is the amount of restriction in the baffles. The larger the hole in the baffle the less the damping in the sphere.

Cheers... George
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 2nd January 2015 at 10:24 PM.

1000+ Posts

Those tables are the factory manual. The engine code is part of your VIN. If your display doesn't show the whole page, try either loading the image to a separate tab, or saving the image, and use whatever image viewer your system has.

Geekspeak:
    (I created the charts by printing a pdf page as if to a postscript printer, piping the print file instead to imagemagick (convert to png image), and then into Gimp to rotate and compress. It's a simple script to deal with pdf files without having to explode them. The forum software can clip the browser display, but the whole image is still held by the browser)

Hi SS, no, what I meant was that some of my sphere types are not in the chart, it wasn't a cropping screen thing, I can see everything listed, but some of mine are not in that chart, not in one , two or three.
    But it does not matter, that list might not include the correct setup for the V6.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi Jaahn,
    what is the pressure stamped on the 'comfort' rear spheres? The original rear ones I took off a wreck on Sunday were stamped at 25 Bar... which I thought would be a bit low, but apparently not so. I was also surprised to find that the centre sphere was a 44 bar, but WITH a damper...
    Hi [0
    sorry not at home currently to look.
    Jaahn

Thread Information