• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By flipperman

Thread: BX wagon vs Xantia wagon

Default BX wagon vs Xantia wagon

How different are they?
    And how good is the xantia... The auto in the xantia... is it suspect...? What should I be looking for when dealing with one and getting it back on the road... any particular issues to look out for?

Advertisement

dino

They are both very good. They use the same auto box except the later Xantias that use the AL4. All are quite good if looked after properly.
    My brother has had both. Once I was helping him move house with the BX wagon it was time to load up the washing machine, a full sized Simpson top loader. All his mates said you'll never get that in there unless you put the back seat down. They were gobsmacked when it fitted and the tailgate closed with no problem. Because they are a squarer design, the BX is probably slightly better but the Xantia is slightly bigger which probably evens it up.

The major thing to look out for is maintenance and with both of them now old enough to get hardening of LHM return lines, how long has it been since the return lines were replaced. The BX has an issue with the heater hose fittings, the plastic fittings stick through the firewall and if the heater hoses are old and hard can get snapped. The Xantias ventilation fan module is a common fault, the BX one not so much.

Probably depends if you can find a good one of either. They sometimes come up, one owner cars that have been loved.
    Ronhic likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

I've no reference points for a Xantia, but the BX wagon is brilliant.

I've had experience with both, Xantia ownership was short-term (due to purpose rather than anything else).
    As already mentioned, for load carrying the squarer BX design meant that a wide variety of bulky items went in easily but the Xantia is more than comparable if you're trying to load a multiplicity of smaller items. In my opinion the lighter weight of the BX made it feel quite different to the Xantia (more nimble) but it was also noisier (even when the BX was new it was noisy). The Xantia is more refined if you want creature comfort. A later 16 valve Xantia might be a bit more nimble than the early wagon of my experience, but most 16 valves will have the AL4 auto that people love or hate. If I was doing mainly city work I'd probably opt for a BX, for touring I'd opt for the Xantia.
    Maintenance items mentioned above, service checks mentioned.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    How different are they?
    And how good is the xantia... The auto in the xantia... is it suspect...? What should I be looking for when dealing with one and getting it back on the road... any particular issues to look out for? dino
    With my tongue slightly in my cheek, the BX front doors don't fall off, but the Xantia wagon doors do it seems. They were said to be built in a different factory from the sedans - you'll find a great thread here somewhere on refitting the lower hinge to the body where the original weld doesn't penetrate properly, if I remember correctly.

I can vouch that the BX wagon will carry fully half a tonne, as will my Xantia sedan. There have been two BX wagons sold in the last few months (Fedgrapes has one of them!) and if you can find one they are indeed brilliant. Return lines for the BX seem to be available again and are hard to find for the Xantia I think.

The Xantia is more robust, and just newer.

Good luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I have carried over 900kg payload in my Xantia wagon, and towed gross trailer weights over a tonne. Not at the same time. So the 16V 2.0 Xantia is good; I think the HDi 110 is probably even better but my understanding is the very few late diesel Xantias sold here, were all sedans. My AL4 has cost $100 in solenoids, and about the same again in fluids over 160K.

The BX "feels" older to be in, and is probably more endearing. One of my biggest gripes about the Xantia is the front seats don't recline far enough to really sleep well in them at a rest stop. Second disappointment is how the doseur leaks into the car.

As JohnW says: there is a problem with the top hinge of front doors on the wagon. This can be fixed quite easily with a little time and a MIG welder. I tried to post pictures some years back, but have now lost them with computer problems.
    DS 21
    C4 HDI
    Piaggio Fly 125

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

BX's biggest issue is they'll have dissolved internally. The plastic in them is absolutley woeful.... worse than bad

If your after load capacity, your looking at the wrong models CX or DS wagon is the go ( well a 'H'van is probably better, but good luck finding one of htem ;P ).

seeya,
    shane L.
    FedGrapes likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I had to have the door hinge welded on the more used of the 2 BX wagons that were in the family.
    Both the BX and the Xantia wagons came out of a different factory as far as I know, and quality control on things like paintwork weren't always at the same level as for sedans, from what I saw of new BX's.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

My two bob's worth, having spent the last few years in a Xantia wagon and having some small experience of BX wagons is that (a) the Xantia is a vastly improved car over the BX and (b) the Xantia in auto form is probably slower than the BX.

That being said, the Xantia is a very solid, competent, civilised car with only a few generic bugs that most people have sorted by now. Mine would get up and boogie if prodded hard enough on the throttle, but yes, not as sparkling performance as the lighter BX.

The door cracking issue was never apparent on Zaphod, and if you want an excellent auto Xantia wagon as a basis then contact French Connection and maybe see if Zaphod is still on "Death row" or been converted to a Ute yet. (or razor blades!)

I'd go Xantia.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Last edited by pottsy; 23rd December 2014 at 05:44 PM.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Quote Originally Posted by arunine View Post
    As JohnW says: there is a problem with the top hinge of front doors on the wagon. This can be fixed quite easily with a little time and a MIG welder. I tried to post pictures some years back, but have now lost them with computer problems.
    You succeeded in posting them - I well remember your job on the door!!! Wow.... I remember meeting your delightful daughter with the car at the Cit-in in Busselton too.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    My two bob's worth, having spent the last ew years in a Xantia wagon and having some small experience of BX wagons is that (a) the Xantia is a vastly improved car over the BX and (b) the Xantia in auto form is probably slower than the BX.

That being said, the Xantia is a very solid, competent, civilised car with only a few generic bugs that most people have sorted by now. Mine would get up and boogie if prodded hard enough on the throttle, but yes, not as sparkling performance as the lighter BX.

The door cracking issue was never apparent on Zaphod, and if you want an excellent auto Xantia wagon as a basis then contact French Connection and maybe see if Zaphod is still on "Death row" or been converted to a Ute yet. (or razor blades!)

I'd go Xantia.

Cheers, Pottsy
    You know, if it were my money, I'd go Xantia too. I'd forgotten Zaphod might still be in the land of the living...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    BX's biggest issue is they'll have dissolved internally. The plastic in them is absolutley woeful.... worse than bad

If your after load capacity, your looking at the wrong models CX or DS wagon is the go ( well a 'H'van is probably better, but good luck finding one of htem ;P ). seeya, shane L.
    Shane's right too, but he's perhaps answered a slightly different question.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    I had to have the door hinge welded on the more used of the 2 BX wagons that were in the family.
    Both the BX and the Xantia wagons came out of a different factory as far as I know, and quality control on things like paintwork weren't always at the same level as for sedans, from what I saw of new BX's. Via the aussiefrogs App
    Always pleased to be corrected! I hadn't heard that BX hinges failed - the doors must be half the weight of those on the Xantia.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Get them in great shape and both the Xantia & BX will do the job and for a long time to come.. Plus you get to do it with style

Where are you in Melb Dino? you can always check out my BX Estate's.
    JohnW likes this.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Information