• Help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Don B. Cilly
  • 3 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By alhantos

Thread: New member

Default New member

Well,
    I can't find a general "introduction" or "new member" thread, so I'll make a single one.
    (moving the post is obviously OK).

I'm a sailboat captain, born in Italy, of mixed ancestry, trilingual (eng/ita/esp), English best.
    I've been mainly living in the Balearic islands for the last 20 years (kids slow you down).

I have a long story with the Citroën DS.
    I currently own two:
    Thérèse, a 1968 ID 19, my everyday car:

Advertisement

New member-th1.jpg

And Sophie, DS 21 Pallas, a restoration project:

New member-n1.jpg

What am I doing on an Australian forum?
    Well, I read and write on Spanish and Italian ones (not much on Spanish ones, quite a lot on Italian ones, there's lots to be found there).
    I read French, but well... Italy may actually be even more interesting on the DS front, and I hate writing French anyway.
    Still, I'd rather read and write in English, which is what I mainly do, and of all the forums in this language this seems to be, from what I've read, the most interesting.

So I may have questions for you people eventually, for the moment I'm just reading, nice forum.
    bluemoon and JohnW like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome of course,
    Is the ID an ID19B. Interested as the 19B has the higher 4th gear unlike cars like a D Special which came out later. I find the 1967 and 1968 D's very sweet cars giving very little trouble

- - - and what model is the Pallas ???

All the best, John
    www.citroenclassicsaustralia.com

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

Welcome, indeed.
    It continues to surprise me the breadth of membership - and highly valuable input from far flung areas. I am eternally grateful for the information from Hotrod Electric in the USA... I would have spent many more hours frustrated over the French wiring schematics that JUST AREN'T RIGHT for Australian cars - and, I find, for the almost identical German ones, without his help.

Now, I just have to sort out why my C5 Hdi has declined to run...... bloody electronics, I am guessing...

SKP

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    Well,
    I can't find a general "introduction" or "new member" thread, so I'll make a single one.
    (moving the post is obviously OK).

What am I doing on an Australian forum?
    Well, I read and write on Spanish and Italian ones (not much on Spanish ones, quite a lot on Italian ones, there's lots to be found there).
    I read French, but well... Italy may actually be even more interesting on the DS front, and I hate writing French anyway.
    Still, I'd rather read and write in English, which is what I mainly do, and of all the forums in this language this seems to be, from what I've read, the most interesting.

So I may have questions for you people eventually, for the moment I'm just reading, nice forum.
    Hi and welcome Don,
    With your main interest in French cars being Citroen it is quite appropriate that your introduction be made in the Citroen forum

Two very nice cars there, and good to see you are using one as daily transport

I spend quite a bit of time reading (using google translate)
    Forum der DS-Freunde :: Aktuelle Diskussionen (1/2)
    Forum.IDeeSse.it - Indice

The Italian site is quite dynamic with new postings daily, with some very knowledgeable enthusiasts sharing information.

For me the German site shows a more social side of DS/ID ownership, these guys are constantly organising events and meeting (always good to see pictures of the cars in a European context) - again with some very knowledgeable members.

Interesting that both sites bemoan the lack of similar enthusiasm from France, both the Germans and Italians claim they would see more DS/ID on he roads in their own countries than in France. . . sadly a very rare sight here in Australia too.

Anyway welcome to our small community, I'm sure we have as much to learn from you as you may have from us

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

The ID is indeed a B.
    It has a DY3 engine in it though, which is still 1985 cc. but gives 108 hp compared to 84 of the original DV.
    It also has a Weber 28/36 DLE A 1 carb, which apparently is the one mounted on DS 21s.
    Lovely car, seems to like me

The DS (sorry) is a 1972 21M (meaning Manual gearbox) with the standard 2175 cc. DX2 engine, and carb.
    It is also, FWIW, a Jubilee Edition (with the reddish dash).

(I just found out how to post a full picture, I'm progressing )

The "restoration" on it shouldn't (hopefully) be a big thing, having changed the steering (which I also had to do on the 19), it seems to have mainly electrical troubles... but they're pretty bad.

I should start on it any day. I just bought it.

The idea is, fix the 21, touch up the looks on the 19 and sell it, and be happy
    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; 23rd December 2014 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Couple typos

"Jubilee edition", I've learnt something new. I saw one in Melbourne many years ago, the then owner who liked tarting up DS's to resell had one. He was quite eccentric as you would expect, so I assumed he had painted the dash as he was proned to do strange things and tell embellished stories.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Welcome to the forum Don. As skp noted there are members from all over the world and it is always interesting to welcome 'new blood'
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Benvenuto, bienvenido y bienvenue.

Aqui se encuentra de todo.

I've actually started on Sophie.

Let's see how it goes.

Icon3 Captain Uncinema

Hi Don B. Cilly, Happy New Year

I see on the Italian forum you are starting to clean up Sophie. . .
    This is a tip for when you replace that bump stop rubber

Tighten a ring clamp around the new bump stop rubber and place in the freezer overnight, the clamp needs to be quite tight reducing the base diametre of the rubber by at least 5mm. When you are ready to fit, remove clamp and the rubber will drop into place and swell into the cup - easy

. . .and yes the small sphere is your brake accumulator, fitted on more up-specced cars and the Safari/wagons. It gives reserve pressure for the brakes, often neglected when testing sphere pressures.

Cheers
    Chris
    shanadoo, Don B. Cilly and JohnW like this.
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Sweeeet!
    Love it. Thanks.

Icon3

Sweeeet!
    Love it. Thanks.
    I see by the scepticism displayed, the Italian forum members are not open to different ways of approaching a common task, or maybe their humour is lost in google translation?

The method outlined works! It reduces a frustrating task to a 2 minute job. Possibly why Australians have more time to drink, we are always open to ways of reducing work time and load

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

1000+ Posts

It's the Aussie way;the rest of the world hasn't caught up yet. Happy New Year to all,Andy.
    GreenBlood likes this.

It's just their (a few members') way of bullshipping*.
    Admittedly, it's not very good. You get used to it.

I just called them terrorists, actually (with a smiley, but I had been wanting to do that for a while).
    But really, they tend to do that quite a bit. You get used to it

Kudos for the Aussie way, by the way.

*Bullshipping is the well-known Italian practice of shipping bulls from the north of the country to the south and back, mainly to get agricultural subsidies.

Icon12

It's just their (a few members') way of bullshipping*.
    Admittedly, it's not very good. You get used to it.

I just called them terrorists, actually (with a smiley, but I had been wanting to do that for a while).
    But really, they tend to do that quite a bit. You get used to it

Kudos for the Aussie way, by the way.

*Bullshipping is the well-known Italian practice of shipping bulls from the north of the country to the south and back, mainly to get agricultural subsidies.
    All good fun, we have beautiful beaches and glorious weather why would we want to spend more time under a car than enjoying it? Loved the Breadfruit story but fear it may be lost on the naysayers

BTW, we have a term that is very close to Bullshipping

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

1000+ Posts

"Bullshipping" sounds worthy of adoption into the Aussie way. If you get paid for it it sure beats transporting cane toads.

I've actually started on Sophie. Let's see how it goes.
    Another welcome to our forum Don. What a civilised place to work on a Citroen! All it needs is carpet.

Best wishes
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Loved the Breadfruit story...

Chris
    You know, I tried to see what sort of job Google does of translating Italian (I just right-click and "Translate to English")...
    I don't mean to sound... er, well, but "appalling" isn't too bad an adjective.

Just to say, you ever need clarification on Italian or Spanish machine translation, just ask.

Icon6

You know, I tried to see what sort of job Google does of translating Italian (I just right-click and "Translate to English")...
    I don't mean to sound... er, well, but "appalling" isn't too bad an adjective.

Just to say, you ever need clarification on Italian or Spanish machine translation, just ask.
    I suspected as much, you can get an idea of what is being said but sometimes it is just garbled - other replies and the occasional picture helps to decipher. German to English is a bigger problem, you end up with very quaint translations, very very polite

I'll certainly take you up on your offer

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information