Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By WRB
  • 3 Post By Roger Wilkinson
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Xm lol

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xm lol

My external temp sensor has never worked on my XM and there is a hole where it should be on the bottom of the mirror. Well, I repaired the passenger door window regulator (not thinking that this might be a good time to find and repair the sensor connection) Anyway, I was driving the car yesterday, and - low and behold - it was working. Only thing is - it was reading 65 degrees C.....

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    My external temp sensor has never worked on my XM and there is a hole where it should be on the bottom of the mirror. Well, I repaired the passenger door window regulator (not thinking that this might be a good time to find and repair the sensor connection) Anyway, I was driving the car yesterday, and - low and behold - it was working. Only thing is - it was reading 65 degrees C.....
    Hope the aircon is working
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I just taped plasic over it and yep, the climate control is one of the few working electrical bits....
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by WRB View Post
    I just taped plasic over it and yep, the climate control is one of the few working electrical bits....
    Bragging - that's a paddlin'!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

They are dead easy to replace, mine died a few years ago and got one from a pug, just pop the mirror by releasing the spring clip
    and solder the new leads onto the old ones in the mirror casing .

Mine has always worked on the Xantia but it's rediculously inaccurate because as soon as the sun hits the black mirror it near doubles the temperature reading. So parked in the sun or even driving in the sun will give you more like an inside the car reading of say 50c. Probably ok for dark miserable cold climates.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

I think mine has a short and they only go as far as 65c. That is the only reading it has had and, it started working when I took out the door liner to fix the window regulator (fail - I realy should have read the instructions that came with the kit - nother one on the way).

Can't remember the last time i saw "working and XM" in the same sentence .. hehe
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Make as many smart aleck comments as you like. It makes the good ones cheaper for those of us who appreciate them.

Roger
    denxm, WRB and almostfrench like this.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Laugh all you want Flipperman but, I am driving in sheer luxury everyday....

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by flipperman View Post
    Can't remember the last time i saw "working and XM" in the same sentence .. hehe
    When 'working' was preceded by 'not' perhaps?

The XM is rather like a big BX in many respects and they some shared weaknesses, but are more complicated, heavier to work on and would have more special parts. Like anything that's 15yo+, it's a case of being proactive rather than suffering a string of breakdown repairs.
    Greg C likes this.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Which is why I will be replacing every wire in that door and checking out the circuit board for track cracks before I the trim back in. I have found a supplier that has all the wire sizes and colours(no numbers though). This door has the control box for all of the door windows and locks and, it is very easily opened so, I may as well go over it with a magnifying glass. Some of the windows can be erratic and the door locks are sluggish (though, this will be a wiring issue). The great thing about the door looms on these is that they have a connecting plug where the wiring enters the door and, the wiring between door and and pillar does not cause the wire to push in and out of the door or pillar, as it is opened and closed. Hard to describe how it works but, it is a very elegant solution to an area of weakness that causes problems for most older cars

Fellow Frogger

Clean the switch contacts and lubricate the lock motors and mechanisms before getting too excited about rewiring. It may improve matters for less effort and cost. Also check the window regulator wires as they tend to corrode in old age and it's better to fix them before they break and damage the plastic parts.

1000+ Posts

Like anything that's 15yo+, it's a case of being proactive rather than suffering a string of breakdown repairs
    I even had Rovers older than that that didn't break down, assuming normal domestic mileages.

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

Going to do all that as well. The widow regulator wire in this door is broken so, I have a stainless steel kit on the way. I figure I may as well rewire it considering that this loom has been subject to moisture and heat - there will be brittle insulation and some corrosion deep within so, no real problem to replace it. This car is worth the effort. I would like to get another 15 years out of it so, consider it a rolling restoration....

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

PS: If it is okay with you Roger, I would like to take a front passenger passenger side regulator from one of you wrecks. Mine is missing one of the pulleys' which is why the wire broke in the first place. Let me know when a good time to come down would suit you.

cheers

Warren

No probs Warren, I'll PM you.

Roger

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I even had Rovers older than that that didn't break down, assuming normal domestic mileages.
    Nearly all cars older than 15years are more reliable as "old" cars ..... There not as complicated and don't have the shitty fragile plastic everywhere
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information