DS push button doors to fit later DS donor body?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default DS push button doors to fit later DS donor body?

Greetings all
    Re the DS, I have a good set of early doors from a wrecked car (doors with the push button door handles). I have found a late Dspecial donor vehicle that may be for sale with missing doors (late type).
    Has anyone done the door conversion, if so, what was involved?

Advertisement

It would be easier to find some late front doors to match the car.

Phillipe or Le Parisian went the other way from newer to older door handle conversion, might be worth querying him on possibilities?

Hi David,

The pressing in the pillar is different, there is a detent in the pillar to accommodate the later striker mechanism. It is conceivable that with some spacers and some mods to the profile you could fit the earlier striker plates.

The issue is the captive threaded and adjustable plate inside the pillar to enable the striker to be moved around to ensure the lock works properly.

I would be looking for the correct doors IMHO, but if you HAD to do it I would replace the outer pressing of each pillar by cutting laterally under the B pillar trim and below the striker plate, drill out the spotwelds each side and weld the correct early pressing (from a donor).

It would be easier to just change the pillars than stuff around trying to make the existing pillars work.

Just my 2c worth...

Cheers,

Mark...

Fellow Frogger

OK, defective memory on my part then I guess. Finding another set of doors would then seem to be the far simpler fix.

If you wanted to alter the striker plates then ... You can neatly enter the C-pillar by removing the lower closing plate if access is desired to change the threaded plate the striker mounts to. The closing panel often needs replacing anyway. It shouldn't be too hard to get into the B-pillar via the inside closing panel. Probably the C-pillar too. That would be easier than changing the pillar or letting a lump from a donor into it. A bit of heat would let you alter the pillar profile. It's all mild steel rather than a heat treated steel, so that would be OK.

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

I'm after some good pushbutton doors- but I'm not able to supply a good set of later doors from my stock of bits...

It would be possible the unweld the B pillars and repace them, but the roof has to come off to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    I'm after some good pushbutton doors- but I'm not able to supply a good set of later doors from my stock of bits...

It would be possible the unweld the B pillars and repace them, but the roof has to come off to do it.
    Hi Bruce,

If you make a horizontal cut under the B pillar trim (the outer half of the pillar only) the roof can stay on - and there is less work. It's only the lock mount that's different.

The challenge is rewelding the crimped metal channels which hold the rubber in place without a spotwelder.

Cheers,

Mark...

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post

Is it only the door skins that are the issue If so just uncrimp the door skins and move them too you later doors I'd say find the right doors myself. I have dozens of early push bottun panels here. The only thing they all have in common is there junk. rotten battered junk. You often can't tell how shitty they are until stripped back.

Have you checked your "good" early panels to verify they are actually good The only good panels I've seen on an early car that's not heavily restored is the ugly pink ID19 I have here ... I reckon it must have lived in Alice Springs it's whole life.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information