Nice new garage
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Nice new garage

Default Nice new garage

I have been building my own house over the last 9 months and one of the exciting aspects is my first ever garage. Unfortunately I only have space for a large single one so the C5 will have to be parked outside but off street. The SM however will be cocooned in a purpose built man cave. It is 4.0m wide inside and 6.5m long. It has a high ceiling, brick walls and is well insulated and has a REMOTE CONTROL ROLLER DOOR.

I am considering putting in either a hoist or a car stacker with the idea being able to work on my cars (not store 2 although the idea has crossed my mind). I have been told a 2nd hand hoist can be picked up cheaper than a new stacker as many mechanics are closing up shop (hence the need to work on my cars myself).

Has anyone had experience of a hoist in a garage with issues like any difficulty required to navigate the car in between the posts, can you open doors safely once on, is it the sort of thing you start to curse after a while. The option of course is to not get one at all and instead lift the car with a trolley jack/blocks of wood/ car stands. I hope not to have to spend too much time under the car but wish to get to grips with regular maintenance jobs, clean up the accumulated gunk and get it nicely sorted.

Advertisement

Any advice gratefully received.

cheers Tony

Driving between the posts will be highly annoying and yes, you cannot get the doors fully open.
    Look at this. I know an SM that lives on one.

Car - Truck Lifts, Home Garage 4 Post Auto Lifts | Backyard Buddy

Fellow Frogger!

Or you could fit four 2cvs, east west, in that space!

Sent via the future...
    addo likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

if your buying 2nd hand, beware most will be 3phase power. You likely will not have this in your shed! Are you sure you can't fit a bigger shed in
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Icon14

There's ALWAYS room for one more! Looks nice in there.

If you're building it yourself, what about a pit in the garage floor, T shape, steps down, wine bottle racks built into the sides. Rebate in the concrete of the floor to accept 4x2 hardwood so the top is at flat floor level. Could even become the cave within the cave.

The Mrs would never find you
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Default Nice new garage

Is there a chance you can squeeze another few cm into the width. I just built a second garage with a 4.2m opening (wider at rear) and can fit two cars in.

If you are building it yourself, it may be handy to add a bit to the width so you can squeeze two cars in if needed?

Cheers
    Ben
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

1000+ Posts

Pits need drainage. Too hard to clean otherwise.

Garage pits are both dangerous and impractical generally. Problems with drainage, rubbish and dirt accumulation, safety issues in ventilation, access, building compliance etc mean they should be relegated to the the button up boots era.

Thanks for your advice men. The width is a given as the walls are up and the roof is on. As to a pit/grave, say no more.
    My latest idea is to get a hoist and as I have the extra length I can place it closer to the door end so normal parking I will drive through a bit further so the doors don't hit the posts and then when I need to hoist it up then back it back to the correct position.
    So what do you think about that for an idea.

Shane good point about the 3 phase but as the switch board is in the garage and will have 3 phase to it for my workshop (a separate structure) I could get the sparky to install a 3 phase power point in the garage too. I will also get compressed air into the garage from the workshop compressor for pumping tyres and blowing out brakes etc. There will also be a narrow wall mounted HO model train layout, a comfy chair and I will install my little car book library in there. I am pretty excited.

cheers Tony

Many modern two post hoists have longer legs on one side. This is so you can drive in closer to the passenger side and still open the driver's door.

Administrator

Fellow Frogger!

Default hoists

scissor hoist great for Citroens - low clearance

but not cheap eh? about $4k from my quick search

but the cheaper ones only lift to one metre or a little more

anyone got real experience of these?

are they as good as they look?

cheers

jon

Administrator

There's a couple on ebay for $2800 (new)

Double Scissor IN Ground Lift 3 TON | eBay

Fellow Frogger!

What's your ceiling height? The reason I ask is that if you're driving through the centre of the hoist all the time you may find it a pain to be driving over the bump ramp in the centre of a traditional 2 post hoist. You could get a clear floor hoist but they start with a minimum height of around 3600mm. Also most modern clear floor hoists have the option of asymmetrical arms with shorter front arms to rear arms. This way the car is not driven on as far and more of the car hangs back behind the hoist posts and allows you to open the doors fully.

I'd go a four post hoist and as you have access to three phase power go down that path. To raise the front and rear separately use cross beams and air jacks. Obviously the cross beams need to be engineered and don't go for something you can't move by yourself (Aside: use a cross beam and support with props underneath to cut down the weight.)
    Brendan.

Thanks chaps,
    Angru, my ceiling height is around 3.2m so a clear floor hoist would be too tall. One thing I haven't considered is the height of the bump ramp. Would this allow the SM to settle down with out fouling. By the look of if there is only about 75mm under the car when it has settled. I suppose I could have pads to park it on to lift it up a little if it looks like it may damage something. I don't use the SM regularly so minor inconveniences aren't what they would be for the daily driver.

Brendan, by a four post hoist are you referring to a car stacker. The concerns I have with them is the posts look like they are closer together than a two post hoist and the car is on ramps so is this what you would use the cross beams for - to suspend the car above the ramps? It sounds a bit fiddly.

Anyway I am enjoying the thought that is going into your comments.

cheers Tony

A four post hoist is not the same as a car stacker. The main problem with a four post is that normally the ramps flip down to become wheel stops to the rear - these are a mighty head hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    .....these are a mighty head hazard.
    You must have a mighty head then, because I seem to recall that mighty head of yours finding one of my shed's head hazards.
    I wouldn't be surprised if you dont remember it (or any other events a few days either side)

Deesse, I have a shed ready to install a hoist into and I cant bring myself to do it.
    It is not that I have not decided which one to get (clear floor 2 post) nor is there any other good reason like funds or slab thickness......

But to me it seems like a perfectly good way to wreck a nice open space.

A 2 poster clear floor is clearly going to wreck the space the least because at least you still have the majority of your floor left for use when the car is not in the shed, and big things with wheels like toolbox's can be moved around, but for my money, in a non dedicated space (ie NOT a mechanics workshop) a 4 poster is a good way to make sure your shed is used for nothing more than car work, and potentially other peoples jobs!!!

I still like getting the sawhorses and circular saw out in my shed and making sawdust, or working on boats and trailers, or even having a student concert or band rehearsal, and simply having somewhere to use as an 'aux space' like when you are having a BBQ/party and it rains. Putting in a 4 post hoist would kill all that use.

Jo

Do it !!!! it allows you too park the "project" up high that you'll probably never finish ( :rolfmao: ) .... I've love to get htis one ... note: jacking beams.

Four 4 Post Hoist in Orange, NSW | eBay

If you pick the right 4poster, you can get one with built in belly lift too... best of both worlds. I can't say I would bother with a 2poster myself. How would you ever get a dead citroen onto a 2post hoist ?

I wouldn't worry about the ramps hanging down at the end. If you have a car up on the hoist, your not likely to walk around underneath it just for the hell of it

BTW: I'd be trying to build a 20 x 12meter shed as a bare minimum. That sounds just way too small to me

I have a set of full length ramps in my shed.... There's no dramas about them taking up space. You just park a car on them and leave that space alone unless you need them

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

I think it's ambitiously priced. One sold recently near me for a grand, with only one jacking beam.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I think it's ambitiously priced. One sold recently near me for a grand, with only one jacking beam.
    $2500 is cheap for a complianced 4poster molner isn't it I'm sure you could buy a heavily worn one with stretched cables for less though

I'm pretty sure those molner jacking beams are worth a lot all by themselves!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Administrator

I reckon a dead Citroen might just squeeze over this....

Goes almost 2m high.

That's a nice setup .... I wonder if you can get the same thing that supports the car by the wheels (like a 4poster) so you can set ride heights etc....

Out of interest... can they lift all types of cars without damage there dependant on there being a nice solid chassis to lift the vehicle by. What if it's something like a DS .... there's nowhere for that to lift them from.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 19th December 2014 at 12:29 PM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information