Car Expenses Spreadsheet results.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By BallinaOB
  • 6 Post By JBN
  • 1 Post By Greg C
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: Car Expenses Spreadsheet results.

Default Car Expenses Spreadsheet results.

In January I posted a thread linking the Car Expenses Spreadsheet I made to keep tabs on the running costs of my C2, C4 and C5. Car Expense Spreadsheet

Well it has been another trip around the sun since I started recording figures and as promised here are the results.

The C2 which is used as my transport to and from work and as our run about town car has cost me 63 cents per km. Its big expense was the gearbox rebuild. Running 98 fuel, it has cost me 14 cents per km (on average $30.24 a week for 217km)

The C4 which my wife drives four days a week between Bathurst and Orange and which has also done a couple of trips to Sydney and is our second run about town car has cost 22 cents per km, 13 cents per km for 98 fuel (averaging $55.89 a week for 432km).

My C5 which has done 15428 kms this year. Made up mainly with trips from Bathurst to Brisbane during the school holidays to visit our boys at Uni there, has cost 36 cents per km. Diesel has cost me 13 cents per km.

In total it has cost me $17194.84 to run my three cars for the last 12 months.

I have included screenshots of the top part of each spreadsheet. If these are not clear enough, let me know and I will post links to the files.

Cheers,

Car Expenses Spreadsheet results.-c2_2014_expenses.jpg Car Expenses Spreadsheet results.-c4_2014_expenses.jpg Car Expenses Spreadsheet results.-c5_2014_expenses.jpg

Advertisement
    lion5 and addo like this.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

WRB
    Fellow Frogger!

OK - looks like I will have to take up walking (I was wondering where all the money was going...)

1000+ Posts

Interesting, but distorted by occasional large outlays, like a set of tyres. Do you have the information spread over a few years?

Glad I'm not the only person who's that pedantic. Although I combine both my cars into one spreadsheet. I fear separating them may make me realise just how expensive the Renault is compared to the Magna. Although on fuel, they are about the same, both about 10.xx cents a km to run, slightly in the Renault's favour (Magna is on gas).

JBN

I don't have a spreadsheet for any of my cars. Life is to be lived, not worried about.

I plan my life in 14 day cycles, hoping I can make it to next pension day. If I make it, I am rewarded with another 14 days of life and relative riches for (hopefully) another 14 days.

John
    ScotFrog, addo, Kenfuego and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Interesting, but distorted by occasional large outlays, like a set of tyres. Do you have the information spread over a few years?
    Only started keeping records this year as a response to an article re cost of car ownership. Wanted to know how close their figures were (they were a little over in regard to fuel costs and insurance).
    Understand the distortion of infrequent large outlays. That is why I have put in formulas for individual costs per km. Also, as I use the C5 in quite a different way to the C2 and C4 (i.e. it sits in the garage for a month or two before going on a lengthy trip). I did not include a km per week calculation for it.
    PS. I take the C5 for a 20km run about every two weeks or so to run a/c and keep battery charged, etc.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

To get an idea of fuel running costs, you have to record at every fill up. I use Gus Cubby, an app on my iPhone. I am pretty sure it is available for Android also.

When you rotate the phone you get graphs of fuel economy, fuel prices and this table of stats.

Fist the CX Prestige.

Its average for this 12 months is a bit higher as it has not been driven as much. Over the time I have been recording it is 11.21l/100km

Now the Xantia

Better than the CX but not that much better

Now for what is possible, the foreigner.

Definitely does what it says on the box. All city driving.

Of course this is not the whole story of the cost of car ownership. More money has been spent on Xantia repairs than any other car this year. About 3 times as much as the CX. Then there are the repayments on the Prius, and the fall in its value over time. Madness buying a new car if money is all you are worried about.

That makes the CX the cheapest car to run that I have.

Car Expenses Spreadsheet results.-img_0545.jpgCar Expenses Spreadsheet results.-img_0546.jpgCar Expenses Spreadsheet results.-img_0547.jpg
    DanielBendigo likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Couldn't find Gus Cubby for Android. Downloaded Mycars instead. Goodbye clunky Excel spreadsheet.0

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Wow ... I figure so long as were I can afford to put petrol in them for the tiny number km's my cars do a year .... I don't care about fuel economy. The CX uses "Not a lot" ... given another I drive is a shitty old Range rover ... It uses "lots" .... don't care though.... I've never checked it's fuel economy ...er, no, lets call if fuel "consumption" not ecomony ... 'cos nothing short of a truck is as capable as it. fuel costs simply aren't relevant if I want to move something that weighs 3.5tons ... or drive up a cliff face... or across a bit of wet grass ( ).

The ID's are toys ... don't care how much they cost ... or don't cost ... if I can afford to fix something on them I'm smiling ... if I can't I'm still having a ball driving them. What's the point of money if I can't enjoy myself. We'll probably do all the christmas lights again next week in the ugly pink ID19 .... great fun with no roof on and all the windows down after dark.

The crappy 407 ... it's the one that does the miles. It using as little fuel as possible is what matters. Oneday I'll try to buy my fathers traction too.... it'll be the same ... cost is irrelevant ... so long as it puts a smile on our faces what does it matter

seeya,
    Shane L.
    DanielBendigo likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

JBN

I have a spreadsheet just on RTA speeding fines and figure I should be using public transport.

John

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I have a spreadsheet just on RTA speeding fines and figure I should be using public transport.

John
    I agree but remember to add parking fines,red light cameras not to mention illegal u-turns and you and I would be better off in a hire car,Andy.

Getting back to the serious side. The other advantage of keeping long term stats is you can easily see any anomalies. That 13.46l/100km as worst case for the CX is way outside normal. Does it indicate we have a problem. In that case yes, and it is got so bad now that she is very difficult to start. Currently under investigation
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Getting back to the serious side. The other advantage of keeping long term stats is you can easily see any anomalies. That 13.46l/100km as worst case for the CX is way outside normal. Does it indicate we have a problem. In that case yes, and it is got so bad now that she is very difficult to start. Currently under investigation
    Pffft.... keep trying, that's minor league ... I reckon the old Rover is getting about 20L/100kms .... I'd check but why would I want to verify such a thing
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Would you be as disparaging if Greg or the OP offered to run their ruler across your council's books?

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Would you be as disparaging if Greg or the OP offered to run their ruler across your council's books?
    Actually I was thinking fuel pressure regulator. I had that die once in my CX .... idled lumpy and hell and burnt a horrific amount of fuel. When I fitted a fuel pressure gauge it nailed against the back of the zero psi stop (way over 60psi). Amazing nothing blew in the fuel rail given the pressure

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

BTW: If they did that I have no doubt every councillor going back decades would end up in goal We have had a series of the most woeful pathetic councils
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

So it might be a good thing, then?

JBN

Wot! To measure the size of the dicks ruling us?

John

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Actually I was thinking fuel pressure regulator. I had that die once in my CX .... idled lumpy and hell and burnt a horrific amount of fuel. When I fitted a fuel pressure gauge it nailed against the back of the zero psi stop (way over 60psi). Amazing nothing blew in the fuel rail given the pressure

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I have thought of that one. I read the manual. I thought I had it, got a new one and it gives the same pressure, 39psi. I thought I had got it as it should be 29psi (2 bar). However, read the manual again, more thoroughly and when testing without cranking, i.e. at atmospheric pressure, reading should be 2.5 bar or 36psi approx. So probably within the error range of the gauge. So injectors are off to get a clean, probably won't be it but at least the cold start injector will get tested.

As it is also gutless, I thought fuel pressure could be a bit low. Lowers the amount of fuel delivered but upsets the atomisation. Higher pressure would also stuff up correct atomisation leading to even higher amounts of fuel wasted.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I have thought of that one. I read the manual. I thought I had it, got a new one and it gives the same pressure, 39psi. I thought I had got it as it should be 29psi (2 bar). However, read the manual again, more thoroughly and when testing without cranking, i.e. at atmospheric pressure, reading should be 2.5 bar or 36psi approx. So probably within the error range of the gauge. So injectors are off to get a clean, probably won't be it but at least the cold start injector will get tested.

As it is also gutless, I thought fuel pressure could be a bit low. Lowers the amount of fuel delivered but upsets the atomisation. Higher pressure would also stuff up correct atomisation leading to even higher amounts of fuel wasted.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post

Have you checked the temperature sensors resitance at the computer (not the sensors themselves). This will take into account any dodgy wiring. Don't forget the AFM
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Your statement "That makes the CX the cheapest car to run that I have." is all it took for the CitroŽn Eye to make you pay!

You should know better than to make a statement like that. Don't you know your car reads AussieFrogs!
    Regards,

Garth.

Fixin' Cit's and got the shits.

'15 DS 5
    '74 GS Convertisseur

In the family
    '51 Traction
    '08 C5 X7 V6

Previous ownership
    '95 XM V6 Series 2
    '96 306 XTDT

I know. She is taking me on a bit of a frustrating journey in payment for not driving her as much. Don't worry I am as stubborn as the Citroen Eye. I will win in the end.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Hi Greg,

Good luck- I've been working down the same path on and off for the last year with the 2500ie.
    So far I have new air filter, pressure regulator, fuel filter and injectors cleaned.
    It's running a lot smoother but never doing better than 13.5l per 100km or there abouts.
    An interesting symptom is that it coughs and splutters on high speed up hills on moderate throttle, which is cured by more throttle.
    Interested to hear your final diagnosis...

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Thread Information