C5 Aircon different temp from left / right vents
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: C5 Aircon different temp from left / right vents

Tadpole

Default C5 Aircon different temp from left / right vents

HI Peeps
    I have a 2001 C5. The temp from the passenger side vents gets cold when the AC is on but the temp from the drivers side vents don't. Any thoughts ?

Advertisement

Thanks in advance

cheers

Qcom

1000+ Posts

Default Blows hot and cold !!

Hi Qcom
    The usual fault is the reverse of this so that's not it. So a few thoughts !

The two side have seperate controls and sensors, but only one air conditioning heat exchanger. Perhaps it is a failure of the control motor which opens the cold door and closes the hot air door. ? Guessing here. Or the temperature sensor, which is a thermistor, has failed or the connector is high resistance.

How long has it been doing this ?
    jaahn

Tadpole

Thanks for that. Yep I did read that is was more common for it to be the other way around. I have also read that some one just had it regassed and it solved the problem. Not sure how long it has been like this I have only had the car a few weeks.
    cheers

Qcom

Regassing might mask the problem.

The climate control units have one heater core, and one evaporator core. What happens is that each side has its own internal ducting, so the balance of airflow through hot and cold sections is regulated independently.

It's far more likely either a mixer flap motor drive is damaged, or one of the temperature sensors is misreading. Time on a Lexia will allow rapid isolation of the issue.

Tadpole

Thanks Addo

Quote Originally Posted by qcom View Post
    Thanks Addo
    Hi Qcom, have you resolved this issue? I'd like to know what the cause might have been....cheers... George

2004 C5 V6.

Tadpole

No not as yet. Iam going to go down the road of changing the heater mixer flap. Apparently Peugeot 407 have the very same problem. There is clip on the you tube from a guy in the UK and he has found a way to change the mixer flap without taking the dash out. I need to do a bit more looking around to ensure that how he does that can be applied to the C5. I will post once I have done it, so that all can learn from my mistakes :/ cheers qcom
    Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi Qcom, have you resolved this issue? I'd like to know what the cause might have been....cheers... George

2004 C5 V6.

Fellow Frogger

Try not to make work for yourself. The problem is usually the peg on the mixer motors. It's too short and the replacement motor has a peg double the length, but is otherwise either identical to the original spec motor or at least functionally the same if it's a really early example. Remove the RH motor and see if the end of the flap shaft is damaged and then fashion up some sort of extension as needed. This is the usual problem.

1000+ Posts

Default Making work !

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Try not to make work for yourself. The problem is usually the peg on the mixer motors. It's too short and the replacement motor has a peg double the length, but is otherwise either identical to the original spec motor or at least functionally the same if it's a really early example. Remove the RH motor and see if the end of the flap shaft is damaged and then fashion up some sort of extension as needed. This is the usual problem.
    Hi Qcom
    As David said "try not to make work for yourself". I have the air dist/ fan/ aircon / heater unit out of a C5. It is hugh and complex and I would not try to do a flap change with it on the bench It is hard to see that a flap will fail other than the drive shaft socket. Perhaps something falling inside and jamming it would be more likely ?

IMHO you should probably get a diagnostic unit, Lexia, Diabox etc and look at the problem. It is not easy either but you can look at the readings from the sensors and operate the flaps etc, as I understand it. This should give you some idea of what is not working or why the system is doing what it is.

Remember that there is a lot of stuff on the internet and most of it is crap or not related IMHO. Just because someone can post a Utube video does not mean they know what they are doing or that it is relavant to your problem.
    Cheers Jaahn

Hi qcom....I have a very easy answer. I had this fault just last week. Very easy to fix. I . Undo all the screws that hold the glove box in.
    2. Un-clip the glovebox light, feed it through it's apeture so you can remove the glovebox completely, just leave the light hanging there by the wire.
    3. Undo and remove the 3 screws that hold the lower of the 2 flap motors, and carefully remove the motor from it's position, let it hang by it's wire.
    4. Have a look at the flap spindle. it might just be slightly worn and not necessarily cracked or broken.
    PLEASE NOTE.... there is no real weight or stress in this flap or it's movement. It's just a connection issue. All I did was use some normal electrical insulation tape, only about 8cm long, and wound it around the motor spindle. I then squeezed it together on the end which overhung the spindle, and placed the motor back in it's place. All working perfectly again, no problems.
    P.S. This fix was not entirely reliable, so I re-did the repair and splinted the join by fitting an internal splint which is much better. I just used a piece of wood from an icypole stick, wound it with tape to make it the right size, slipped it in. It has to be larger where it goes into the flap spindle, and narrower where it fits into the server spindle. See my update post.
    Last edited by George 1/8th; 16th January 2015 at 10:29 PM.

Tadpole

Thanks for that, all a good suggestions and thoughts. Iam lucky to have another vehicle so I don't need to drive the C5 in the summer heat so may leave it for a while. I will post the outcome ... regardless of what it may be many thanks

Tadpole

HI Peeps
    The problem has been solved. I got the Aircond regassed and it is now cold on both sides. The guy at the Air Cond joint said it is common with a number of makes. Iam really glad it was not the mixer flap !
    Thanks to everyone for your suggestions
    cheers
    Qcom

Thread Information