C4 tu5jp4 fuse box is oily
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By don

Thread: C4 tu5jp4 fuse box is oily

don

Default C4 tu5jp4 fuse box is oily

My C4 VTR coupe has an oily residue all over the under bonnet engine bay mega fuse area.

Advertisement

The wind screen wipers are coming on when I open the doors and will not park.

Would I be correct in suspecting the dreaded LDS wicking into the fuse box from the power steering.

I have that expensive feeling in my gut
    addo likes this.

don

Ok so Ive cleaned up the maxi fuse area there are no signs of wicking into the upper fuse box. but my wipers are still coming on with the opening of doors or the unlock plip. Im thinking maybe the rear harness now as there was a recall for same and we had it done in 2012. or maybe its the interior fuse box. anyone else with a VTR Coupe had this problem?C4 tu5jp4 fuse box is oily-dons-phone-1608.jpgC4 tu5jp4 fuse box is oily-dons-phone-1609.jpg

Fellow Frogger

It's possible for the steering fluid to enter the electrical side of the pump, but you might expect to have steering issues before it goes further. Sometimes, you may find a contact grease in sockets, which is different to weeping fluid, but could be confusing.

Could possibly be a Comm unit problem. It's worth remembering the BSI is designed to go into backup mode in some situations. That will show as headlight on and wipers operating intermittently. No communication from the comm unit will do this. However, this may be different to your symptoms.

The rear harness does tend to break at the angled part. Hence the replacement. You could also have a fault at the doors.

Another longshot to check that can confuse a BSI is where a single filament globe is fitted in the dual filament socket by mistake.

don

Icon9

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    It's possible for the steering fluid to enter the electrical side of the pump, but you might expect to have steering issues before it goes further. Sometimes, you may find a contact grease in sockets, which is different to weeping fluid, but could be confusing.

Could possibly be a Comm unit problem. It's worth remembering the BSI is designed to go into backup mode in some situations. That will show as headlight on and wipers operating intermittently. No communication from the comm unit will do this. However, this may be different to your symptoms.

The rear harness does tend to break at the angled part. Hence the replacement. You could also have a fault at the doors.

Another longshot to check that can confuse a BSI is where a single filament globe is fitted in the dual filament socket by mistake.
    Thanks David

I was also having trouble resetting the service indicator. Did a 10 minute reboot battery disconnection and that problem is now fixed. The interior lights are now intermittent and the boot unlocks on unlock with pliper (The plot thickens )
    Car sarts and drives fine no problems with the audio or lights or displays all function as per normal

don

The problem with citroens is their not rat proof ( is any car)

Turns out the old winery building I park my C4 in is also the residence of the (Rat Pack) from Broke NSW.

Their must have been a split in the ranks as my C4 became the donor of cosy digs under the scuttle and consequently lots of mischief with wiring on the menu. So the mystery is not so misterious but rather mischevious.

A vet told me that rats chew wiring to sharpen their teeth. Given how thin canbus wiring can be Im not surprised that Pacific Euro had a Peugeot in with the very same problem.

Problem rectified by Pacific Euro with a fault reader and some soldering work.

$268 Expensive Plate !!!!!!!!

Fellow Frogger

A good result and you got out of it inexpensively.
    Al least the rodent didn't run up into the A/C system and die there. Very ugly, smelly and expensive to rectify with the dash out.

don

A good result and you got out of it inexpensively.
    Al least the rodent didn't run up into the A/C system and die there. Very ugly, smelly and expensive to rectify with the dash out.
    Is there access through that far into the C4 Aircon. I thought the Pollen filter would be a barrier.

Fellow Frogger

Evidently it ate through and became trapped in a vent somewhere on the left side. Very smelly.

Did you check for oil at the steering pump wiring or do you now think that oily residue you reported is simply contact grease?

Another thing worth checking is the coolant sensor (LH end of head) as some of them cracked and allowed coolant into the harness.

Evidently it ate through and became trapped in a vent somewhere on the left side. Very smelly.

Did you check for oil at the steering pump wiring or do you now think that oily residue you reported is simply contact grease?

Another thing worth checking is the coolant sensor (LH end of head) as some of them cracked and allowed coolant into the harness.
    Reminds of my mates who purchased a 2004 BMW 545i sports for a bargain price from a cow cocky . The rodents had 3/4 eaten the under bonnet sound deadening insert whilst parked in hay shed.

None of the dealers would trade the car at anything like a reasonable price. It was perfect otherwise.

Jollys Upullit turned up a wrecked 525i which had the same sound deadening. $30 repair.

Bloody missile to drive.
    Last edited by robmac; 1st February 2015 at 10:49 PM.

Thread Information