Help save my froggy reputation! C3 stalling.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By David S

Thread: Help save my froggy reputation! C3 stalling.

Default Help save my froggy reputation! C3 stalling.

Hi all!

My partner picked up a nice 2007 Citroen C3 Exclusive, the 1.6L with a manual gearbox. 98,000km on the clock.

It's due for a timing belt soon, and that will happen soon. Other than that, it appears to have had no issues, and regular servicing.

PROBLEM.

Five days after purchase, it has a tendency to stall when first moving off.

No issue with idle, nothing uneven, no shuddering throughout the rev range, nice power delivery, close to quoted fuel economy. No noticeable fuel leaks. No issue when returning to idle. Clutch feels pretty good. No evidence of brakes sticking.

The clutch reaches a point in the travel where it feels like there is a slight jump in how engaged it is, and I think it is at this point the revs drop quickly and far enough for the engine to cut out.

Help? I can't keep recommending French cars if they don't work!

Advertisement

(My BX is in pieces after getting her back from service, the starter motor seems to have decided that it is okay to not crank sometimes. I suspect the solenoid, or some internal electrical connections. Either way, why did Peugeot put the bloody starter so effectively under the intake manifold?!)

(The S16 is still waiting for a gearbox)

(The 504 is in pieces getting a huge amount of work done to brakes, cooling, electrical, and vacuum systems.)

The good old 1.6 eh? Can you get it on Lexia or Diagbox? A transient weakness is probably going to be fuel or spark related.
    FedGrapes likes this.

I was afraid you'd say that addo! I think the first access I'll have will be when it's in for the timing belt in January.

Where should I buy a Lexia from, and what's the ballpark price range?

Budget $500 for a laptop/notebook and cloned cables from a reliable source. Torrent software downloads are hit and miss from what it seems, so pick your vendor carefully.

Be wary of continuing to drive a 1.6 with ignition faults.

Fellow Frogger

Start with the fuel. 95 or better only.

Clutch cables have a habit of binding a little and feeling slightly 'gritty' as they age and it makes letting out the clutch that little bit harder to control. It may well be worth changing that as they are not expensive.

It should have a motorised throttle, so check that it's clean and that the harness to it is correctly connected and not pulling tight anywhere.

When you change the timing belt, also change the pump, tensioner and roller as a set. The pump impellers can shed blades if the bearing has worn badly.

BX: Brushes for the starter might be a cheap fix. I would be a Valeo D6RA unit and parts are easy to find.
    FedGrapes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Start with the fuel. 95 or better only.

Clutch cables have a habit of binding a little and feeling slightly 'gritty' as they age and it makes letting out the clutch that little bit harder to control. It may well be worth changing that as they are not expensive.

It should have a motorised throttle, so check that it's clean and that the harness to it is correctly connected and not pulling tight anywhere.

When you change the timing belt, also change the pump, tensioner and roller as a set. The pump impellers can shed blades if the bearing has worn badly.
    Hi David, thanks for the reply

Yep. 95 minimum is being used at the moment.

Good to know the clutch cable is cheap. Is it an easier proposition to install than on a BX?

Motorised throttle. Welcome to the future! I looked for the accelerator cable without joy! I'll give it the look over

Yep. It'll be off to the mechanic for belt, pump, tensioner all in one go. Good to hear this is best practice on the 1.6 as well.

BX: Brushes for the starter might be a cheap fix. I would be a Valeo D6RA unit and parts are easy to find.
    I think the starter in mine is labelled a D9E. It just had new brushes put in, and at the same time a new clutch and clutch cable, and a new front passanger side strut. It cranks well WHEN it cranks.

I've been suggested to put in a relay for the ignition feed to the starter, and I think this is next step. I just cleaned all the engine bay connections, and inspected the solenoid (seems fine to the eye... I didn't break it apart, but I did take it off the starter).

Out of curiosity, where do you look for starter and alternator parts? I'm not completely up to speed on where to get which parts yet, particularly the more common bits. Supercheap and Repco don't fill me with confidence on the longevity of their products.

I've mostly shopped OS for starter and alternator bits, there are local suppliers for brushes - I think Stuey found some.

Thread Information