CX hydraulic pipe seal removal tricks
  • Register
  • Help

Default CX hydraulic pipe seal removal tricks

GDay,
    My CX passed its rego check yesterday, and while car was on the hoist I had a good look underneath. Found a couple of quite wet pipe unions. One to power steering governor was quietly dripping ... rego inspector noted coolant leaks, as a 'advice' item. Green fluid must be coolant! I said nothing.
    Today I undid the pipe in question, the one directly under the governor and impossible to see. The pipe came out easily, but without a seal.
    Just in case there was not one there, new seal just gets pushed up the pipe when you try to reinstall, so guessing the old seal is still there.
    How do you suggest I manipulate the old seal out?

Advertisement
    ------------------
    Michael T
    2013 DS4
    1977 CX 2400 Pallas
    1974 GS 1220 Sedan
    1958 ID19 (Slough)

Have you tried a small pick tool? A straight pick would loosen it from the bore, then the right angled one should allow you to pierce and drag it out.

Addo, thanks for that, the problem was that it was not possible to look in the union, so I just removed the governor and there it was waiting to be picked out .. bit of bent tie wire did the trick.
    Now it is the seal size I do not have!
    ------------------
    Michael T
    2013 DS4
    1977 CX 2400 Pallas
    1974 GS 1220 Sedan
    1958 ID19 (Slough)

Of course it would be the one you don't have! That's what Murphy is for.

Quote Originally Posted by rrturbod View Post
    Addo, thanks for that, the problem was that it was not possible to look in the union, so I just removed the governor and there it was waiting to be picked out .. bit of bent tie wire did the trick.
    Now it is the seal size I do not have!
    Naturally.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

JBN

The very best seal removal tool I had was an SU carby needle. Long, brass so it didn't do any damage to aluminium. I just bend a 1/8 inch right angle at the tip. The end you grip was also large enough to get a grip on.

My previous car to owning my first CX was a Leyland Marina, which had an SU carby, hence the spare carby needle.

Don't have too long a hook as it needs to (ideally) go through the centre of the seal (ie pipe width) and then with sideways pressure, hook behind the recalcitrant seal (pipe seal to people with primary school English).

Sadly it was lost between the ownership of the first CX and ownership of the the first BX, and I haven't come across any abandoned Marinas that I could snaffle one from.

John

Fellow Frogger

You can usually get away with turning the seal around and refitting if not done already. Remove any torn bits of rubber. It's not perfect, but will work if it's still pliable and you are short of a new seal. A long screw, the sort used to screw wooden crates together is useful for removing seals.

Beware shoving a pick into hydraulic units on some models. If you do this in one hole on a Hydractive regular unit you are liable to puncture the gauze on the front of the electrovalve.

I've usually had success using a small self tapping screw to remove old seals. As for replacements, I thought there were only 3 sizes, 3.5, 4.5, and 6.5.

Thread Information