• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Citroen DS pricing - or how long is a piece of string question

Tadpole

Default Citroen DS pricing - or how long is a piece of string question

Hello All

I have posted a wanted ad DS wanted in Victoria in the forum and have had some response. I am a VW person and know exactly what where and/or how much a splitty, or a beetlle etc is worth however I am literally in no mans with DS's. Is there an Aussie price guide anywhere or is there a guru I can contact who can give me the heads up on what's what and how much I should pay. Obviuosly listing the cars for sale is not appropriate but for example what's a decent original 72 Pallas , a safari or specia worth. Comments welcome or happy to get sms or pm in response also.

Again any help much appreciated

Paul

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

It's a DS ... depending on model and condition it could be worth from $500 ( rusted out ID19 resting in a paddock ) upto $500,000 (concours DS Chapron convertible). Around $10,000 should get you a very, very nice DSpecial though

It'll take lots of searching to find one you like........ Take a DS guru with you to check over any car your interested in (it'll be the best money you will spend on the car).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Orangedog likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

As far as what is on the market, there seems to be 2 very nice looking DS23 Pallas's, both 5 speeds. Both located in NSW which is a pain, but shouldn't be a barrier. The black one is an amazing looking car and seems pretty good buying if it checked out. You could spend $10k on a D Special but I haven't seen a very nice one at that price for many years.

Good luck to you and the misses.

Here is the link to the black one.
    CitroŽn Car Club of Victoria Inc. - Classifieds
    Orangedog likes this.

Well there you go, it's easy. Just average the last 2 responses. No one on this forum has higher standards than M Berry, and no one has lower standards than Shane L. Me? I reckon you might get a nice DSpecial for $10k, but not a very very nice one. Do take an expert with you: Dees hide their rust on the main frame beneath the panels.

Roger
    Ronhic, addo, Orangedog and 2 others like this.

Tadpole

Thanks Guys
    MBerry that black car does look good , unfortunately it's a long way to Dorrigo though.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Orangedog View Post
    Thanks Guys
    MBerry that black car does look good , unfortunately it's a long way to Dorrigo though.
    Paul
    Wow. You clearly don't live in WA....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Orangedog View Post
    unfortunately it's a long way to Dorrigo though.
    Not if you are serious. Over the last 10 or so years I have bought 2 Dees from Brisbane and 2 from Hobart and driven them all home. The road trip adds to the fun of purchase. I can think of an Aussiefrogs member near Tamworth who knows Dees inside out and would probably be willing inspect it for you for a reasonable price.

Roger

The less you can get one for the better. The more asked demands more boxes being ticked, there's a handy book published by Veloce called "The Essential Buyer's Guide Citroen DS & ID" by Rudy Helig which is recommended reading before you lose the plot and jump in and buy an overpriced deficient citron....
    Peter O likes this.

Orangedog,

I have PM'd you.
    Doug

1974 DS23 Pallas ( Carby Manual)
    1990 BX TZI Automatique

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    The less you can get one for the better. The more asked demands more boxes being ticked, there's a handy book published by Veloce called "The Essential Buyer's Guide Citroen DS & ID" by Rudy Helig which is recommended reading before you lose the plot and jump in and buy an overpriced deficient citron....
    That is an excellent book. I made Rudy write it because I think he is a better writer than I am.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    That is an excellent book. I made Rudy write it because I think he is a better writer than I am.
    Agreed. I've known Rudy (and his brother Paul) for quite a long time now, and they're both pretty sharp on the D.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Tadpole

Thanks Guys I ordered that book is already on the way
    Cheers

It's when you front up to the seller with a torch in hand and a pointy screwdriver they'll know they may have to think twice about the price : )

The other thing to consider - and I mention this because you undoubtedly have seen how VWs were built in terms of body onto a sort of "backbone/pan", is a similar but more convoluted approach came with the Dee construction.

Overlooking the not-insignificant issue of getting all the fitout detritus (suspension, fuel or hydraulic lines, wiring, ducting) out your way, to see some pictures of a Dee coming together in the factory will help you with your own qualitative judgements about just how nasty some corrosion is, or how easy/difficult a specific repair might be. This staged picture nonetheless reflects the method.

Speaking of which I've found another spot that can be 'hidden' and rust prone, just forward of tbe rear suspension cylinder mounts on the main box frame in the boot!
    F**K!

Are you going to end up with one of the repro rear clips at this rate?

As if!

there are some very well qualified people on this site that seem to have a limitless amount of time to spend on a DS restoration ( which is admirable ). however, some will have found themselves is a similar situation to you and your wife ( as I have ). Those will undoubtably advise you to secure a good car, that should be your primary goal, even if it is a D Special. the funny thing about cancer is that most people convince those around them that there is plenty of time........... That is not the case in my experience. If you guys have a dream, get the right car and live the dream. DS prices have not gone down in 10 years, rather the opposite. if you pay $25k for a good car that for fills your dreams, it's cheap. If you sell the car in a few years, i would be staggered if you didn't get your money back. DS restoration is time consuming and expensive, I'm guessing you don't want that ( I suspect some that have contributed to this thread have not read your original note and thus are missing the point ). Just get a good car that you can both enjoy with confidence, with the DS if you buy a good one, you are likely to retrieve you original investment. If you buy a car that needs work, that will not be the case. You could still be busy in the garage while life passes by.

I hope this is read in the way it was intended, please don't respond without reading the entire thread.
    Last edited by mberry; 11th December 2014 at 08:17 PM.
    IE23, Orangedog, OnSafari and 3 others like this.

Hi Paul.
    I don't presume to tell you what you should buy.
    When I bought my D Special in 1992 I couldn't even spell Citroen.
    I went to Continental Cars at Canterbury to buy a BX.....it seemed 'right'......except my wife could not see out of it properly. she is a tad small.

I saw this 'thing' called a Ds and the rot set in. I wanted to buy a red one but Bill Bunting said "dont buy it....it is full of rust."

What did I know!
    He talked me into the white D Special as "the best I've seen for years". I still knew swfa about Ds but he seemed genuine and even offered to buy it back at the same price in 12 months time if I didn't like it.

Well I bought it and 22 years later I still have it.......Thank you Bill.

There is a degree of snob value on this formum about the DS range so let it pass you by.

If you look at this thread and the DS appreciation thread i have posted a few photos of my D Special and IMHO that car represents a nice example of any model of the DS range. and it has not been restored.......well maintained mechanically by the gurus at DS Motors ....yes. But it has never been dismantled and restored. And I acknowledge the stupendous efforts that are going on to restore or have restored examples of this great car.

We all have different skills so shop accordingly .

Good Luck.
    Orangedog and addo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by k eeles View Post
    Hi Paul.
    I don't presume to tell you what you should buy.
    When I bought my D Special in 1992 I couldn't even spell Citroen.
    I went to Continental Cars at Canterbury to buy a BX.....it seemed 'right'......except my wife could not see out of it properly. she is a tad small.

I saw this 'thing' called a Ds and the rot set in. I wanted to buy a red one but Bill Bunting said "dont buy it....it is full of rust."

What did I know!
    He talked me into the white D Special as "the best I've seen for years". I still knew swfa about Ds but he seemed genuine and even offered to buy it back at the same price in 12 months time if I didn't like it.

Well I bought it and 22 years later I still have it.......Thank you Bill.

There is a degree of snob value on this formum about the DS range so let it pass you by.

If you look at this thread and the DS appreciation thread i have posted a few photos of my D Special and IMHO that car represents a nice example of any model of the DS range. and it has not been restored.......well maintained mechanically by the gurus at DS Motors ....yes. But it has never been dismantled and restored. And I acknowledge the stupendous efforts that are going on to restore or have restored examples of this great car.

We all have different skills so shop accordingly .

Good Luck.
    Great post. One question: can your wife see out of the DS? Mine is also on the short side and we once (about 1981) nearly bought a D Special in Adelaide and one reason against was that she couldn't see out of it. She was OK with our BX though. I think the reason is that back in 1981 "all cars" allowed a high driving position and you could see the front corners. Not so the DS. Not so practically everything these days!!

Not important really, as the DS is magic of its own sort.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Thanks Guys
    theres a lot of passion on this site. Very nice to see. Given me lots to think about
    cheers

anyway...... i couldn't find a better post for this.
    from the office party last week.

http://vimeo.com/113355428

sorry, i was trying to do a link to the ross hannaford post.
    Orangedog likes this.

There is a fairly priced left hooker in New York, USA. The owner frequents this site. Send a pm my way if you are interested.
    addo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mberry View Post
    there are some very well qualified people on this site that seem to have a limitless amount of time to spend on a DS restoration ( which is admirable ). however, some will have found themselves is a similar situation to you and your wife ( as I have ). Those will undoubtably advise you to secure a good car, that should be your primary goal, even if it is a D Special. the funny thing about cancer is that most people convince those around them that there is plenty of time........... That is not the case in my experience. If you guys have a dream, get the right car and live the dream. DS prices have not gone down in 10 years, rather the opposite. if you pay $25k for a good car that for fills your dreams, it's cheap. If you sell the car in a few years, i would be staggered if you didn't get your money back. DS restoration is time consuming and expensive, I'm guessing you don't want that ( I suspect some that have contributed to this thread have not read your original note and thus are missing the point ). Just get a good car that you can both enjoy with confidence, with the DS if you buy a good one, you are likely to retrieve you original investment. If you buy a car that needs work, that will not be the case. You could still be busy in the garage while life passes by.

I hope this is read in the way it was intended, please don't respond without reading the entire thread.
    Hi Paul,

This is really good advice from Michael. Having just finished what was a 5 year restoration it is only a few rare models which would see you recoup the restoration costs. A project D means many years of work if your doing the full bottle.

I've always said to people who ask me about buying their first D that a rust free and registerable DSpecial is the perfect "starter" DS. They ride and handle virtually the same as a 23 injection without the complexity. Just drive it and get to know it, then in time if you hanker for a 23 injection pallas you'll probably get your money back on the DSpecial.

On the issue of the height of the drivers seat - there is a height adjustable seat base which makes a big difference to the seat height - it's a bolt in option and it should be easy to find with some digging.

Cheers,

Mark...

Michaels post is great advice.

My 2 cents fwiw is to buy the best one you can afford, ensuring the work done to maintain it from original or restore it has been done.

We always moan that 'we never get back what we've spent on a car' - so use someone else's money! There will always be point where something expensive will need to be fixed. That just life, as you'd know.

The only proviso would be if you really want the 'restoration' experience - where you'd buy a car with a solid frame and go for it.

I'm not sure I've added much. But you have joined the right forum for any future advice.
    Ronhic likes this.

Paul in Canberra

1974 DS Safari (aka Sophie Safari)
    1972 SM (aka Simone, aka S'Moan)
    Subaru WRX

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information