C5 De Pollution fault
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default C5 De Pollution fault

2007 2.2 litre Turbo Diesel
    Just started today without any prior events.
    I have searched the forum and I have done nothing yet.
    I have not disconnected the battery yet as advised in the search.
    My battery is 10 months old.
    The car has done 146,000 km.
    I expect that it has run out of eolys
    I'm a little surprised, In that the car lives on the rural fringe of Melbourne. Mostly 80-100 kmh speed signs.
    I always wait for a low tank to refill, and BP is the only fuel used.

Questions

Is eolys the culprit?

I want to drive a 2,500km round trip this weekend. Will the car and I make it?

The timing of this is all of Murphy's making.
    PS
    My luck has never been great.

David

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

I drive weeks with this fault. Comes and goes. Mine is down to the secondary air pump......

Fellow Frogger!

Yes it will make your next trip. Absolutely. Anything that is a bit wrong in vacuum pressure or air flow registers as a pollution fault. It could be as simple as a leaking vacuum hose (lots of them) or as expensive as a new turbo. But it will still drive. The Eolys will actually register under that name and not as a pollution fault.
    Cheers, Erik

Fellow Frogger

Fellow Frogger!

No, David
    I didn't pick that thread out.
    Sorry.
    The ones I did pick out were pretty much horror stories of "limp home mode" I don't want that for 2000km!

I do also have an increasingly common "speed control" fault which I'm told is likely to be vacuum related. The cruise control drops out when I accelerate, sometimes.

So,
    Thank you so far for your thoughts.
    I'm surprised that the eolys level has not been given a higher profile (for which I'm happy)

David

Fellow Frogger

Cruise dropping out can be the result of some other fault, not a fault in itself. That is, if the car goes into some kind of downgrade mode due to another fault, cruise faults can be a result of the downgrade mode rather than a faulty cruise control. The Eolys should last longer than your current mileage. However, the amount left is inferred rather than measured, so it could possibly be empty and the car thinks it's still OK.

I have same model, 125000 km with same problems. At the start of a journey it immediately shows immediately after ignition either the depollution fault on its own or with the speed system faulty warning just before. If I get both warnings then car goes into speed restriction mode. When that occurs, I stop down the road for approx. 20 seconds and restart and proceed with car operating properly.

If I get depollution warning only, the speed restriction does not occur.

I never have problem occurring during a journey, only at the start immediately after ignition.

Since the problem started occurring I notice that when I turn off the ignition at the end of a journey, the motor comes to a slightly rough stop.

I have not have time to get to an analyser recently, however an analysis with some diagnostic software some months ago came up with EGR fault with no specific nos.

Any thoughts?
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Quote Originally Posted by David M View Post
    2007 2.2 litre Turbo Diesel
    Just started today without any prior events.
    I have searched the forum and I have done nothing yet.
    I have not disconnected the battery yet as advised in the search.
    My battery is 10 months old.
    The car has done 146,000 km.
    I expect that it has run out of eolys
    I'm a little surprised, In that the car lives on the rural fringe of Melbourne. Mostly 80-100 kmh speed signs.
    I always wait for a low tank to refill, and BP is the only fuel used.

Questions

Is eolys the culprit?

I want to drive a 2,500km round trip this weekend. Will the car and I make it?

The timing of this is all of Murphy's making.
    PS
    My luck has never been great.

David
    I have been living with the identical fault for 6 months or so and have never got to the bottom of it in spite of several tinkers.
    Only about 3 times has the car dropped into 'I feel sick and won't make it home' mode but a short rest on the hard shoulder always restored it.
    I can set off on a trip with no faults if I am patient enough to let the car warm up for say, five minutes.
    You will most likely be OK, I suspect these cars are tough in spite of their occasional whimper.

SF

Dave, from my limited, and patchy, experience with these cars so far, my opinion is that the long trip at cruising speed will probably do it a power of good.

The issue with Mephi was related to the particulate filter being clogged, potentially from a heap of short trips and stop/start motoring combined with (probably) the wrong oil etc. Mine was an extremem case I suspect.

Kenny suggested that they all need a good long cruise now and then to allow the regeneration cycle to happen and clear some scunge from the pipes.

(A form of Sinusoidal Depleneration in my mind Check out the turbo entabulator on Youtube for this reference. )

I reckon go for it, but make sure the RACV total care is paid up as well!

So where are you off to?

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Thread Information