Xantia Steering rack service.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Xantia Steering rack service.

Hi Froggers,
    I need to get the Xantia Power steering rack serviced. I can remove it ( real bastard of a job ) but then where , around Melbourne, would be the best place to get something done to it? It just needs replacement dust cover rubbers and the plastic cover on the ram replaced.

Advertisement

Any leads?? Thanks... cheers ... George 1/8th.

The secret to removal is more or less:
    1. Loosen steering shaft splined coupling in cabin, lock steering at dead ahead
    2. Remove lower universal bolt and slip shaft off pinion valve
    3. Disconnect ARB link to height corrector
    4. Disconnect ARB completely from strut droplinks
    5. Release outer ball joints from stub axles
    6. Remove offside wishbone from subframe and swivel aside
    7. Disconnect all infeed and return pipes at the pinion valve
    8. Unbolt rack and patiently manipulate out through driver's side wheelarch

RITROR

The boots you will find Pug ones to fit, the ram boot I have frequently seen left off. It should not leak there anyway.

are you serious addo? what about dust dirt grime that would fall on the rack or jump onto it as you're driving?

George: What is the OD of the inner ball joint?

If its 39mm you want hte 205 power steering gaiter kit
    if its 54mm (i think) its the 405 et al gaiter kit.

'I strongly advise against FirstLine because that little cup that goes on the ram-end inner tie rod does not fit it snug against the housing. The gaiters i got are both rubber, I don't know this plastic that everyone keeps writing about.

Xantia Steering rack service.-m5jop_uwo-mvi1hc7oyuncw.jpg

The ram shafts seem to stay quite clean in a regularly used car. It's the rack which suffers; the steel corrodes rapidly when boots are torn.

Thanks for the replies Addo and lion5. Addo, why would I remove the left wishbone then slide the rack out the drivers side?
    The ONLY way I've ever been able to get one of these things out before was to pull the pinion assy. off first, then I can JUST get it out. I know I'll have to remove the thing, but I want to to get the boots replaced in a workshop, so I can then just re-fit the rack assembly. That's why I was asking if anyone knows anyone in Melbourne who does this properly.

oh my bad, i thought you meant the rack ont he ram side. My 205 steering rack doesn't have a boot on the ram, i thought it was weird at first, but the service box images or anything else showed it as is, so I assumed it didn't come with one by default

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Hi Froggers,
    I need to get the Xantia Power steering rack serviced. I can remove it ( real bastard of a job ) but then where , around Melbourne, would be the best place to get something done to it? It just needs replacement dust cover rubbers and the plastic cover on the ram replaced.

Any leads?? Thanks... cheers ... George 1/8th.
    gsf parts in UK have the rack boots in stock: Steering Rack Boot I'm assuming it is a 2.0 petrol.

About 12 UK Pounds including the clips.

I'd avoid removing the rack like the plague unless there is a real problem, i.e. needs resealing.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

It makes it possible to clean the rack up beautifully, the whole job looks like a "reco".

Offside normally means right side, nearside is the left.

is all you need to do replace the boots? I called Paul V (sydney peugeot mechanic) and asked him if you really need to remove the rack and he said you don't and he's done it many times if the rack doesn't need removal, in fact strongly advised me against it.

To replace the ram-end boot, he said all you gotta do is remove the nut on that big stud, and the torx end bolt on the other side of the ram, then lift it out, and slide the boot carefully over the stud.

Thanks for that Lion5, but... you cant get acces to those parts in order to even undo anything . And it's not just the Ram cover , but the rack boots too. And even with the Ram out of the way, the bolt that supports it stops you from fitting even a rubber boot. They must fit the boot before they put the rack into its housing. So has to come out to get access to these parts. I'll be taking it somewhere, but not sure yet.

Icon12

You can slip a rubber gaiter over the ram stud, it's commonly done. The trade tool for the job is a greased dessertspoon, cupped over the stud.

Wait until you find the C5 handbrake cables are seized.

Quote Originally Posted by lion5 View Post
    oh my bad, i thought you meant the rack ont he ram side. My 205 steering rack doesn't have a boot on the ram, i thought it was weird at first, but the service box images or anything else showed it as is, so I assumed it didn't come with one by default
    Our BX didn't have a ram boot either.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by George 1/8th View Post
    Thanks for that Lion5, but... you cant get acces to those parts in order to even undo anything . And it's not just the Ram cover , but the rack boots too. And even with the Ram out of the way, the bolt that supports it stops you from fitting even a rubber boot. They must fit the boot before they put the rack into its housing. So has to come out to get access to these parts. I'll be taking it somewhere, but not sure yet.
    You know I'm sure I've had our boots replaced at least once, maybe twice, without the rack coming out. Still, ours is an early 2.0i and later ones may be different.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Hi guys I want to tackle this on weekend, replace boots that is, can you just disconnect the tie rod ends and shove the boots on!

Or is it take the rack out business?

Cheers

Steven

I would always remove it.

The passenger side rack boot can be done quite easily with the rack in the car with a few provisos. You need to be able to get the rubber cover off the inner ball joint - it is a push fit over th joint that bolts into the end of the rack. Then take the whole tie-rod off the rack. Remover the power steering ram off its peg on the rack and the new boot feeds reasonable easily over the ram locating bolt, around the end of the rack taking a 90 degree turn over the ram locating collar and then onto the rack.

Make sure you check there is no play in the bush holding the other end of the ram to the steering rack because if there is you will end up breaking the pipes from the pinion valve.

Cheers Ken

thanks guys, conflicting advice! Just out of pure ignorance why does the balljoint cover need to come off Ken? I have new ram bushes also. I figured the drivers side could be done with rack still in but the ram passenger side more tricky, been reading the UK french forum and its either do or don't. Will report back tomorrow with progress, after I degrease the mitts.
    Cheers Steven

Hi Steven,

I have done two Xantia racks during the last year, an Activa and a non-hyfractive wagon. I took the rack out for the Activa but was able to just take the Ram off with the rack in the car on the wagon to replace the bushes. It was all about access to the back of the rack. I used a combination of claw spanners, 3/8 to half inch adaptors, universal joints and extensions to loosen the lock nuts on the pipes between the pinion valve and the rack by access through the drivers wheel arch - they are very tight as they rely on metal to metal seals.

The other issue with doing it in the car is getting the large torx bolt that hold the ram onto the rack loose and out. You can't get straight access to it in the car, but I managed to get the bit mostly in on a slight angle by using a 3/8 extension bar and it started to turn with a bit of an extension bar on the rachet handle. There is a washer either side of the ram so it was quite a fiddle to get the ram and washers to stay in place to get the ram bolt to start up again when reassembling - I almost lost one washer several times. Even with those access issues, I was glad to get it done in the car as I didn't have to fiddle with the pinion to steering shaft coupling - I never get them back together as they should go, or have to take off the lower wishbone, or disconnect the hydraulic connections to the rest of the car.

Cheers, Ken.

Good Luck - I feel your frustration in advance.

well the driver side was a doddle after one of the club seniors chipped in with a nicely lathe honed boot fitting cone, then I abdicated the hoist to a member with a lesser known Panzervagen Mercedes needing urgent tlc.

Thread Information