First fault displayed on my c5 x7
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: First fault displayed on my c5 x7

Default First fault displayed on my c5 x7

Yesterday an "engine management system fault" showed up on the speedo. The car ran fine, no obvious external signs of a problem. Bit of a worry. Trying to think back to previous threads on this forum I tried to narrow down the most likely and simplest cause. So, over the past year there has been a gradual decrease in time I could have the radio on or the internal reading light before "energy economy mode" is activated. Down from 30 mins. to less than 10. I hooked my ( simple) charger up and charged the battery overnight. Started the car in the morning and a beep sounded and the engine symbol went out ( it stayed on when the fault showed up previously). The green light was also on in the battery, hadn't seen that before. No fault showing. A friend took a voltage reading at the battery and it was 12.65v. Assume this is OK? Started the car again and the reading went to 14v. so I assume the alternator is OK.
    I wonder if the reserve power of the battery is now low, after 4years and I need to change it.

As We looked at the voltmeter we noticed a whirring sound from the motor, like something was not quite in gear
    Is this normal?
    Allan.

Advertisement

Yes, and yes.

Of course, Shane may swear black and blue it's the fuel filter.

It is the battery. 4 years old, time to replace
    Motorgnome likes this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

1000+ Posts

If your car is like mine it is an AGM battery - see eg, Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Information - Battery University Expect to pay more.

Modern chargers have an AGM setting to reduce the float voltage, as per the link. Alas my 50 year old charger doesn't, so it rarely has an outing now. A pity, as any tool that has had its use time must be a quality item.

The green indicator is a hydrometer built into one of the cells. When it's high you can see the green.
    Last edited by seasink; 9th December 2014 at 02:30 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Yes, and yes.

I have no idea.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Ya got me there with brain out of gear after too much at lunch Robmac. It would indeed be moist in there. Fixed.

There's a pic of the green dot here - http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/c...&subtitle=test

PS I visited Aldi for one of those and none were left. My local is in the midst of a transplanted corner of HK, and there seems to be little call for tools. I find that they are plentiful in shops in the western suburbs, but it's quite a drive. I usually drop into one of those when I'm in the area.
    Last edited by seasink; 9th December 2014 at 02:29 PM.

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Yes, and yes.

Blocked electron filter.
    UFO likes this.

after too much at lunch
    Half your luck SS. My lunch was a bowl of Chinese fish ball and noodle soup. Hard to become confused in head after that!
    addo likes this.

UFO

New battery is what you need. Mine didn't get to the beep moment but was sluggish and "missing" on cold mornings. New battery and all was good again.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi Tassie,

THere is a thread on here somewhere about how I put a supercharge battery into mine last year. I will try to find and add a link.

Cheers,

Ken W

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Blocked electron filter.
    Don't be ridiculous! The battery leads aren't long enough to tie in knots.

Thank you all. Any battery recommendations?. The Varta batteries are almost double the cost of others.

1000+ Posts

Check you are comparing like with like. AGMs are more expensive. My car came with a European DIN Exide 70AH 720 A.

I think you can get a Fullriver one, which are actually quite well regarded, for a reasonable sum.

I will check the number on my Supercharge one tonight. Autobarn even had one in stock if I remember correctly. The battery is a MF66H and fits pretty well. It even looks like thay have improved the CCA rating to 760 amps now.

First fault displayed on my c5 x7-battery-c5x7.jpg

Cheers,

Ken W
    Last edited by Ken W; 9th December 2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: add info

The car went into limp mode today. I changed the battery ( AC Delco) . I had to set the time etc. The car runs fine now but the fault light is still on and the engine management warning came on.
    To confuse matters, the old battery tests out under a load as being OK. The voltage dropped from 12.6v down to 12.4v after the load test. The amps were also within a new battery parameters. Not sure what to do now. the dealer is a 4 hour round trip away.

Hang on!!! After 20 mins. having a rest ( the car that is) the c5 was started the engine fault came on for an instant, a beep was heard and the fault disappeared. It just shows that the French siesta works on their cars also.

Thanks all for your comments.

It sometimes takes a few starts and/or the passing of some time (overnight) for faults that are stuck on to reset themselves.

Don't forget it could just have needed to have its battery terminals cleaned. New cars are not immune to this sort of fault.

Cheers,

Ken W
    Last edited by Ken W; 10th December 2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: another comment

Fault back again!!! I have reset it a couple of times and it has disappeared, only to re emerge when a slight bump driven over. The car drives OK without any obvious symptoms. I will disconnect the battery overnight and hope the fault does not re appear when reconnected. We head for Launceston tomorrow (160km) en route to Melbourne so hope I don't do any damage. I may ask the dealer to try to clear the fault while I'm away.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

Tasie,

You are'nt by any chance driving left foot brake right foot accelerator are you? This used to produce "engine management system faulty" in my 2007 2.2TT until I woke up that my wife never got the problem and realized the cause.

Regards, rossie.

Thanks Rossie.
    I am a right footer for sure. The fault cleared a couple of times after a new battery and also after a disconnect/connect battery procedure. I will know later today after a trip to Launceston if any nasty symptoms occur.
    Allan.

Sounds like you might need a code reader at some stage. Thay are very good for pointing you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Ken W

Came back from Melbourne yesterday and picked up the car from the dealer where my son took it whilst I was away. They found some faults had been registered but were unable to determine the error that caused the fault readout as their diagnostic gear went down. Back in St Helens now , the car ran perfectly well. I still don't like the fault showing though. They did detect low voltage, even on the brand new battery. They did charge the battery overnight, and did not charge me for their work. Just wish the fault would resolve itself.

Alan,
    If fault persists, maybe the next thing to replace is the engine fusebox. I had one replaced in mine during warranty after a few episodes of all the warning lights coming on and transmission being locked into 3rd gear limp home mode for the rest of the trip.
    Cheers,

Ken W

Although The fault light persists, I,m inclined to try to ignore it as the car runs well. It has to carry out a lot of duties in the next month.
    Always at the back of my mind I wonder what will happen. Has the fault been cured by changing the battery? Is a diagnostic tool required to clear the fault that is no longer a problem?. I may try cleaning the MAF, but I am worried that I may introduce more faults.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information