• 1 Post By DoubleChevron
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By Peter O
  • 1 Post By DoubleChevron

Thread: How to fit child seat in C5?

Tadpole

Default How to fit child seat in C5?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows how a baby seat is supposed to be fitted in a C5 2002? It doesn't have the bolt in the normal spot that other cars have. I found 2 loops on the seat base. Is there an extra belt or something that is supposed to go around these?
    thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Do you have the original manual which came with the car? It will be outlined in there, or the Australian supplement. Maybe look for plastic plugs pushed into a bolt hole on the seat back.

European delivered cars came with ISOFix which is a more universal system compared to our "Australian Design Rules" or ADR fitments.

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    You will have to get a fitting with a bolt and put it in to comply. They do not have the Aussie standard threaded hole or bolt already fitted. As Addo said they are set up for ISOFix which the Australian people did not recognise even though millions of Europeans used them.
    Easy enough to fit. Drill a hole, carefully so you do not drill the fuel tank or spare wheel etc underneath Choose a flat area. Put in the bolt with the backing washer. Finished !
    If you put it at the back it is not in the way much.
    jaahn

I have a later C5 estate/wagon that has 3 UNF fixing behind the rear seats at floor level.

Standard fixing of child's seats are located / fixed behing the rear seats at parcel tray level; with the wagon - no parcel tray, hence fixing is at floor level has to be transfered up behind the seat and hence the need for an extension strap to transfer the floor fixing uo to top.

Should have come with the C5 in the first place or be available from Citroen.

Quote Originally Posted by C5 Wagon 2002 View Post
    Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows how a baby seat is supposed to be fitted in a C5 2002? It doesn't have the bolt in the normal spot that other cars have. I found 2 loops on the seat base. Is there an extra belt or something that is supposed to go around these?
    thanks in advance.

1000+ Posts

World?s safest ISOFIX child car seats coming to Australia

But of course our public service masters still want to be different. As stated above, C5 X7 models already have the top fixing.

http://www.britax.com.au/car-seats/p...fix-compatible
    Last edited by seasink; 7th December 2014 at 10:33 PM.

I was reading the C5 owners manual yesterday, and it was emphasising that, should you wish to fit a REAR Facing child safety seat in the front passenger side of the car, in front of the glovebox, you should make sure that you disable the front passenger air bag.

1000+ Posts

It doesn't apply here, as you aren't allowed to. In my car the feature is disabled.
    UFO likes this.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    This is one place to get a fitting kit to install.
    Child Restraint Vehicle Anchor Kit - Supercheap Auto Australia
    Jaahn

Child seats in the C3 are so easy. They have a loop in the boot section.

1000+ Posts

No problem in the C4 (or Pug hatchback equivalents) either because there is a top tether behind the seat as well as the Isofix.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I just ordered in an isofix car seat from germany. It wasn't much more expensive than a local seat (including delivery) and is brilliant.
    jaahn likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Ah, but it will explode in an accident, creating a site like Tunguska; these seats are not approved by ADR and therefore a danger to all humanity. Your citizenship should be cancelled for your un-Australian attitude to respect of the ADRs.
    jaahn likes this.

UFO

Read

https://www.facebook.com/groups/138611149488187/

Drive - Isofix Child Restraints Approved for Australia

But to get back to the OP, surely any car sold in Australia in 2002 would have approved child restraint anchorage points fitted. I think even my '96 XM had anchorage points - which was a bar on the seat rear. I even used it once to transport a niece.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi,

thanks in advance.
    Quite a few current vehicles only have a metal loop to attach the baby seat (in addition to the lap/sash seat belts. It would be located at the back of the seat, maybe on the back shelf, or at base of seat. I think the loop is located central to the baby seat. Is it possible that your 2 loops are one on each side (for mounting 2 seats)?
    The baby seat harness has a spring clip which clips to the loop.
    If your 2002 car has an Australian compliance plate it will have mounting points.

Another place for advice was Bridgestone Tyre centres, they did it as a sort of community service (but I think charged for parts used). I don't know if they still do it.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,

thanks in advance.
    Hi
    looking at my C5 manual, there is an Australian supplement to the manual.
    There are no page numbers but the supplement consists of three sheets.
    As you open the supplement the middle page is headed Child Restraint Anchorages.
    It illustrates three anchorage points, corresponding to the three rear seating positions.

It says
    A child restraint fitting is installed for the centre rear seating position.
    Other anchorage points for a child restraint can be identified by a black screw-able plastic plug provided behind the centre line of the outboard rear seating position.
    There is then a diagram (which I will try to upload when I get a chance to scan it( and mentions that the Anchor bolt is 30mm X 5/16" UNC dimension

Mine is a 2003 build 2.0 HDi sedan, but I would imagine that the estate would be the same. There is nothing to show that it is for sedan or estate or both. As mine and yours are bot early C5 prefacelift I would think they are the same. I think you may not have it correct here Jaahn. Mounting points are fitted and would have to be to have compliance plate. Addo and Craig are on the money here.

On the early C5 the back shelf is a removeable piece of thick card, removeable so you can increase carrying capacity by laying the seats down. It is not capable of carrying any sort of load so dont bother looking for an anchorage point there. Look in the floor of the boot, you may have to remove any protective mats though.

BTW where are the loops? If on the seat base at the back next to the seat back and sticking out there then they are probably to assist in leveraging the seat base up before lowering the seat back when extending the load area. They are definitely not for loading with a child seat if in that position.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by Peter O; 9th December 2014 at 02:25 AM. Reason: correct some spelling
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

1000+ Posts

Hi,
    I had a 2001 C5 which has now been sold so I cannot look at the manual or the car. However as far as I recall it had a compliance plate and I could not find any mounting points. ! I did look ! So can we assume that they were fitted some time between '01 and '03.
    Jaahn

australian standards have required every car to be fitted with a baby seat anchor ... since about 1976. It IS there. Often you have to pull up the carpet to find it hatches and wagons can require an extension strap to reach the mounting point.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

5 second google search

Comments on any problems or obstacles that are found during the fitting process

Two child restraints fitted comfortably across the rear seat, whereas with three you couldn't access the centre and rear drivers seatbelt buckles.

Three tether anchors are located in the ceiling, above the cargo area.

Provides plenty of legroom for the front passenger, and even with the front seat adjusted all the way back it stays clear of the baby capsule.

Vehicle was fitted with leather upholstery, rear side window blinds and auto opening tailgate.
    Citroen C5 2013 Wagon | Child Restraint & Baby Seat Fitting Guide | NRMA Motoring & Services.

no wonder you didn't find the bloody things The range rover has them hidden in the same place behind the headlining.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Yes all well and good Shane but the OP has a 2002 C5, quite different to the one you have shown, and possibly misleading to the OP
    addo likes this.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by Peter O View Post
    Yes all well and good Shane but the OP has a 2002 C5, quite different to the one you have shown, and possibly misleading to the OP
    Oh well.... It still gives you a good idea where too look...ie: rears of back seats, back floor under carpet, roof behind any plastic housings. I've found them on the back wall of hatches before too ... but given it's a wagon it should be here. Placing them on the back wall of a hatch is insane. In a rear impact the mount area will get destroyed (hi-undi excel anyone ?? )

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Fordman likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

Have taken a photo of the supplement showing child restraint anchorage points
    How to fit child seat in C5?-child-restraint.jpg
    Have also taken a couple of very poor photos of the back of mine. I had to go under the floor covering and under the sound deadening to get to them - not easy but they are there, you just have to dig for them.
    How to fit child seat in C5?-bolt-location-lhs.jpgHow to fit child seat in C5?-bolt-location-rhs.jpg
    Never used them myself, no need to.

I would be extremely surprised if any car imported which has a compliance plate after 1976 did not have them. In fact if they did not they would be non compliant, and the importer would be up for very heavy fines, and the car could not be registered. I suspect they were well hidden on yours Jaahn

OP, has any of this helped? Did you find yours?
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

1000+ Posts

Default Hmmm

Hi Peter
    That's interesting !! I had the original owners books, in the wallet, including the delivery receipt but it did not have any supplements.
    I would be surprised if I missed those holes but stranger things have happened. That may help some others to find them. Good work.
    The seats are for grand kids of course. With current regs it is not possible to just casually offer a lift to them. You need to have a car full of seats at all times now. We now have a van to cover all contingences and still have room for us and a hanki each
    Cheers jaahn

Thread Information