C5 for Camry money, C4 for a Yaris
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: C5 for Camry money, C4 for a Yaris

Default C5 for Camry money, C4 for a Yaris

Visiting my parents today. They get the Herald Sun delivered. In today's Carsguide Alan Mance have brand new C5 1.6 turbo auto for $27,990 on road and C4 Attraction manual for $16,888 on road, less than a C3. Could be a nice Christmas present for someone.

Advertisement

Ah, but the Toyots are good, reliable cars - French cars break down.

I've recently seen a registered C4 go for $2K with the owner frightened off by silly quotes on basic service items, C3s and 307s are peanuts and a pre-X7 C5 needing a motor or box is scrap money in many instances.

Perception is the yardstick that most buyers use when deciding on a car.

Toyota have the reputation of reasonable servicing costs and reliability. They will do the minimum that is required to maintain that perception.

If you do the research (most don't) other marques are equally reliable and servicing costs ,if not equivalent are reasonable.

I made the informed decision to pay a bit more both upfront and in servicing. At least the car I drive is not an appliance and has sports car dynamics.

On the other hand my 30 year son decided on Camry because it had all the wizz bang features and was safe choice and attractive capped price service loan car included. He is in the "appliance " market and reliably and service cost are key issues. The dynamics aren't too bad either.

Car enthusiasts are few and far between in the car showroom. Most buy on needs and image.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    Visiting my parents today. They get the Herald Sun delivered. In today's Carsguide Alan Mance have brand new C5 1.6 turbo auto for $27,990 on road and C4 Attraction manual for $16,888 on road, less than a C3. Could be a nice Christmas present for someone.
    Urgghhh...... 1.7tons with a wheeny 1.6 motor and slugomatic (let me guess AL4) and shitty springs.... How fast can we all run away ... REALLY FAST is my guess
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Urgghhh...... 1.7tons with a wheeny 1.6 motor and slugomatic (let me guess AL4) and shitty springs.... How fast can we all run away ... REALLY FAST is my guess
    For that money though you can't expect hydraulics and state of the art technology and power. For many people stuck on a freeway at 40km/h every day, 115kw could be more than enough.

My parents paid $25k for a base model Focus auto in 2008. If they were looking now, I'd steer them to a C5 like that. Not the sublime luxury of a hydraulic one but great for the price.

1000+ Posts

The new C4 is a very attractive vehicle. At the lower prices you get the 88kW 1.6 naturally aspirated EP6 series motor and a 6 speed manual is available. I personally wouldn't buy an AL4. The boy racers won't be interested but it's more than enough for a suburban run about and it is quite capable of keeping to speed limits on the motorways, including the long climbs either side of the Hawkesbury Peats Ferry Bridge.

I think the Attraction model is a bit Spartan in finish and fruit, but manual Seductions are very nice and still at the lower price point. It's another version of the P308 really with a touch of styling and some comfort. It's a mystery to me why they sell so badly, and it shouldn't be servicing - anyone can do it.

Diesels and turbo petrols cost more, and these are in a more competitive area, but they still should be selling at a rate you could compare to 308s.

Yaris or manual C4 is no contest. The C4 is also a much larger car.

I just checked online, and it's actually C4 Seductions, not Attractions, so a little bit more kit.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The new C4 is a very attractive vehicle. At the lower prices you get the 88kW 1.6 naturally aspirated EP6 series motor and a 6 speed manual is available. I personally would.
    The older C4 looked ok in a cute girly way ....

but this ... attractive .... It almost makes a hiundi i30 look intersting in comparison. I spotted what appeared to be a new megane at a round-a-bout yesterday. These have always looked great in the past .... This thing ?? pig ugly, a hiundi accent would look exciting and very similar next to it.

Why are they making such shitty looking cars lately I know they need to look shitty and modern, but what are they trying so hard to look super bland and like everything else

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

It doesn't look at all like a Hyundai in the flesh. It does look very much like an Audi.
    C5 for Camry money, C4 for a Yaris-citroen-c4-vti-120.jpg

Modern and impractical is a key feature too.

Small doors which are hard to get in and out, sloping roofs which decrease the size of the rear and rear/side windows that restrict vision.
    Poor drivers head room and completely "closed in" driving experience. Rear hatch space that will only hold a folded tooth brush.

At least with "Tardis" (named by a fellow frogger) the strange looks are made up for by a lot of practicality. So I can get to love it.

C5 for Camry money, C4 for a Yaris-sk-wagon.jpg

SS your post about the Audi A1 is timely. The Fabia RS shares the same engine, platform, suspension and brakes as the Audi A1 Sport.

1000+ Posts

I think you are being harsh. I am familiar with the Skoda, there's one in my extended family, and I have driven quite a few km in the C4. I am tall, and there is sufficient headroom both front and back; it has the usual huge modern PSA windscreen; and as much boot and storage as any other hatchback. Doors are much like every other car too.

I know that to old Cit owners (I am one) it is like other modern cars, and quite conventional compared to a snail C4. It is also a better drive and would appeal to a class of owners who, unlike me, don't have a tweed coat with elbow patches and hang around Rugby matches. The Audi shape is probably deliberate. So is the resemblance of the instrument panel to a C5 X7.

I think you are being harsh. I am familiar with the Skoda, there's one in my extended family, and I have driven quite a few km in the C4. ..........
    At least compare apples to apples.

The C4 is a bigger car, small family size in fact . O-A outside 1778 x 4274. Same width and 200mm shorter than a Camry. In a bigger car obviously there is more scope to increase head room.

The Skoda Fabia Wagon is a "supermini" sized car. O-A outside 1642 x 4276. Almost identical to the Citroen C2 (O-A 1659 x 3666).

I question if would have similar head room in C2. In fact, I can you don't nor in Megane -because I've driven and checked out all French, Japanese and Korean competitors and their headroom is generally lacking.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Why are they making such shitty looking cars lately. I know they need to look shitty and modern, but what are they trying so hard to look super bland and like everything else.
    seeya,
    shane L.
    Shane,

Your product has to look somewhat like a conventional car else the sheep won't buy them.
    Look at Renault sales now that they appeal/are being targeted to the masses.
    It's all about volume.
    French stuff doesn't have the cachet of the exotics, so they have to sell to the masses.

1000+ Posts

Although I was referring to a Yaris, I did say that the C4 is a much larger car.

Before we get wrapped up in bland though, compare the DS with the other makes of the time. Its sheer elegance made it super bland. What could be more bland than those sweeping plain unadorned curves? It was all about proportion.

At the other end of the scale are the ugly current Japanese and Korean vehicles meant to sell in the US with exaggerated folds everywhere. Some Euros have been beaten by the same ugly stick.
    nota likes this.

Thread Information