• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Broken down C5 2.0hdi 2009 pollution issue

Default Broken down C5 2.0hdi 2009 pollution issue

Hi Guys and gals,
    I was wondering if anybody had similar experiences to mine:

Advertisement

1. Noticed car would do something in the form of a misfire every now and then.... not more then once every few days
    2. Today filled up a full tank of premium caltex diesel and off i drove for 25km, all was running fine then stopped and left engine idling and noticed she was missing now and then.... thought nothing of it and went to do a job.
    3. Came out started her and all seemed well then while doing 100-110km noticed she was missing like crazy and power was down big time
    4. Had anti pollution fault pop up and i drove it to where it was safe to stop (maybe 3km).
    5. When i stopped i noticed she was missfiring like stupid so stopped the engine.
    6. checked everything i could and all seemed well.
    7. Tried to start her and no go, just cranks but no fire.

ARGH...........anybody have any ideas....ive barely had her 3 weeks

i have been driving her gently and was sitting on 7.2 litres/100km in a combined cycle so believed everything was fine

Bugger!

In the absence of better plans, try a disconnect/reconnect of the battery positive. Next step is some ether spray, if it starts happily on this it's a fuelling issue. If it's still reluctant to start it could well be either a cam timing issue (highly unlikely) or a cam/crank sensor coherence fault. I think in a 2009 C5 you might be able to cycle through the display to get a fault code.

Try calling Kenny at AutoParis if you need an experienced pair of hands to sort it. His blood's worth bottling.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

i'd start by changing the fuel filter .......................... sounds like you picked up some bad fuel.
    niks likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

See my notes on testing, Shane. Can save a fair bit of "parts roulette".

yeh left it with a place in sunbury who seem to be comfortable with working on it and have worked on them.... told them the issue and they will run diagnostics by tomorrow morning. Not often im lost as to whats going on but right now hmmmm stuck

People can say "My car won't start" but mean one of three things:

1. It doesn't turn over
    2. It doesn't cough or catch
    3. It won't stay running

Assuming the timing is OK and it does crank over, my money would be on a failing sensor for cam or crank angle.

it turns over
    it shakes when it turns over
    wont run without starter motor disengaged NOR will it feel like its kicking in

1000+ Posts

My C5 has never done this to me, but earlier diesel vehicles I've had have - it was always water in a new load of fuel, so a cheap fix. The filter is also a water trap.

Commercials tend to have transparent bottomed filters, but the C5 has only a metal housing with a bleed screw at the bottom. The drain is a length of tubing that can be hard to spot - put a jar under it.

I don't know if water would trigger the anti-pollution signal though.
    bmw535guy likes this.

Sounds like it's a sync issue, make sure (if you can see through the oil filler cap) that the cam turns as you crank the engine.

where would i find the bleed screwn?

Fellow Frogger

An anti-pollution fault can have quite a few causes. Blocked fuel filter most likely. Last changed when? Maybe, even the tank pickup? It's drawn by vacuum from the tank, so there's no low pressure pump involved. It wouldn't be impossible for the tank vent to be blocked. What happens if you remove the filler cap?

EGR valve perhaps? If the EGR valve has broken, then it will be difficult or impossible to start. The EGR valve might drop the poppet head or the actuator arm may break off rendering it inoperative. If that's the case, blanking off the EGR pipe might should you to start it and get home.

The engine differs from RHR to RHH in the VIN. Being '2009', it is most likely RHR, being a DW10B engine. The filter is up the front and has a squeeze bulb to pump/prime the fuel. The filter is just an element inside the housing and you unscrew the top to change it. So, not a difficult or costly job. Bleed screw should be on top.
    Last edited by David S; 4th December 2014 at 04:53 PM.

fuel fiter 5 tanks old, changed a month ago.
    So the pre pollution warning is the replacement for the "check engine" warning?

tank vent is fine...........plus i hand pumped the diesel and still wouldnt start

Pretty much replaced the old "K" light, yes.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    See my notes on testing, Shane. Can save a fair bit of "parts roulette".
    The *exact* symptoms my old C4 exhibited when it's had a marginally blocked fuel filter. Citroen replaced all it's injectors and pump without fixing it .................. before they were finally told change the fuel filter by Citroen .... fixing the problem instantly.

As it was only partially blocked it would restart and run though. BTW: the c4 had only done about 15,000kms from new at the time ... and wasn't very old.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

mine done 32000km

Try the simple things first... I agree with Shane... change the filter first... then see how it goes. If that wasn't it, then look deeper...
    If it suddenly happened after a re- fuel, I'd be checking/changing the filter for sure...

Yeah, Change the fuel filter, dump the load of Caltex fuel (I have had a load from Caltex/Woolies pooch a fuel filter in my car as well) and only run it on BP or Shell diesel. Fuel filters are now lasting up to 2 years with only using shell or BP diesel.

It always seems too happen with you take off on a long trip. I had to have en emergency one done in Canberra on the wasy to Cit-in at Griffith. And I have had problems on the way back frmo a trip to Tasmania as well. I always carry a spare and the special six sided socket you need to change one with me on any trip now. I will be fitting a fresh filter before heading off to Nuriootpa for Easter this year too.

The fault log will show very unstable fuel rail pressures - some low and some high but its all because the filter resistance has got too high for the fuel tank pump to reliably supply the HP HDI pump.

Cheers,

Ken W
    niks likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Carry a spare? I thought those days were long gone. Sounds strange, nobody goes through that many filters, sounds like there's an underlying problem. Insufficient primary fuel pressure maybe?. Contaminated tank?.

I use only Woolies/Caltex because the servo is close to home, its cheap, easy to get to and I have never had any problems with fuel from this particular servo. Been buying Caltex diesel almost since the beginning of time.

Although I did have one nasty issue from a Woolies/Caltex outlet at Forestlake in Brisbane when something in the bowser broke and deposited a load of scrap metal into my tank. New something was wrong when the bowser wouldn't turn off.
    Fortunately I did a major service later that day and discovered the fuel borne scrap. Never been back there.
    So I would suggest in many cases the problem appears to be the fuel supply outlet not the brand. Mobil put out a real bad batch many years ago. Cost many truck owners the price of a pump overhaul before it was discovered it was only the unusually oily fuel.

A friend worked at a refinery many years ago; he had stories of the "chemists" as they were called, blending oils from experience rather than exacting measurements. With tales like this, the bad batch you describe historically makes perfect sense. The relatively small amount of whale oil added to some heavy gear oils, impressed my mate.

1000+ Posts

Much nastier than a shard of metal is the black algal gunk that infests some servo tanks. It does a superb job blocking filters. It happened to me a few years ago and I had to run a diesel biocide in the fuel tank for ages.

Fellow Frogger!

"Citroen replaced all it's injectors and pump without fixing it .................. before they were finally told change the fuel filter by Citroen .... fixing the problem instantly".

That makes my blood boil. What kind of incompetent dunderhead could ever start to diagnose diesel fuel problems without first changing the filter. It's mandatory, it's numero uno, it's like tomato sauce on steak. It's like----Grrrrrrrrrrrr. Hope the fools lost their job.

ok should probably own up, in a morning fill up obviously my brain had not kicked into gear and i filled it with premium. Took it to a workshop, they cleaned the fuel system and replaced tank seal and fuel filter and she is as good as new.........lucky............ Been kicking myself all weekend but all came good And yes , picture sums it up :
    http://www.acting-man.com/blog/media...ll_retard1.jpg

UFO

You mean you filled it with premium unleaded petrol? Think yourself lucky, having driven it that far, that it still runs at all. Lucky save.
    bmw535guy likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information