C5 Sticky steering
  • Register
  • Help

Default C5 Sticky steering

I wonder whether anyone else has noticed this problem. I purchased a 2010/11 C5 6 months ago. Has now done 46,000 kms and runs beautifully apart from one curious occasional problem. The steering is normally very light and pleasant. However, periodically it it gets what I can only describe as a "stickiness", particularly (but not solely) on long runs. It's a bit hard to describe, but I suddenly find the steering needs quite a little more effort to make small corrections, and won't self centre naturally. As I say, the feeling is one of "stickiness" in some part of the steering.
    I drove from Margaret River to Perth and back today (nearly 600 kms), and all was well until I got close to Perth on the way up when this stickiness appeared. It was apparent most of the time when I was driving around Perth, and the wheel seemed to need more effort when doing things like parking. It's not really a massive problem, just annoying. On the way back home I suddenly became aware that the stickiness had gone, and the wheel once more only needed occasional light touches. It comes and goes driving around the area where I live as well.

I'm not sure how the C5's steering is powered. Is it an electrical system?

Advertisement

Grateful for any thoughts on the matter.

Fellow Frogger!

Our 2013 Mazda 6 that has an electric power steering set up. When doing a lot of tight manoeuvring i's like it runs out of power on occasion.

Fellow Frogger

It has a pump driven by an electric motor with ECU in the RHF corner. You could check connections, earths, leakage, but it sounds like a job for the dealer job before the warranty runs out.

It is, in fact, out of warranty. It can probably wait for the next service, as the fault seems intermittent, and is only irritating on the open road. But I'll see if I can find the pump motor and check the connections. The best way I can describe the feeling is that it feels as if the bushes (assuming there are some) have run dry in the steering column shaft, and need a squirt of WD40 or something, but I am not suggesting that's what it is. And upon reflection I don't think it can be the connections, because the power assistance always works, but is sometimes just a little heavier when manoeuvring when the fault kicks in. And then after a bit, it gets ok.

Sounds electrical in some way to me. No idea beyond that.

Do you have good relations with a dealer? Just ring them up and ask. Or ask Corrado at Eurocare?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thread Information