C5 Suspension height checking
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: C5 Suspension height checking

Default C5 Suspension height checking

OK, I'm starting to wonder if Mephistopheles is sitting too high at the front.

Reasons for this, from the empirical side of driving the car:

1. Car absorbs speed humps nicely but seems to "top out" on the other side of the hump, as if the suspension travel on rebound was limited.

2. Car looks higher than I would have expected, judged by the gap between the top of the front tyre and the wheel arch.

3. When maximum suspension height is selected the pump seems to continue for quite a long while, as if it was expecting more but isn't getting a corresponding movement fed back from the sensor.

A visual check under there with the car on ramps showed no obvious anomalies. Obviusly this doesn't preclude a dodgy sensor, but the upsy downsy seems to work fine, compensating when required etc. Just seems to settle too high.

So I've done a bit of what passes for research these days.

1. Mr Haynes just says I should go to the dealer. Actually I'm surprised Mr Haynes has anything other than this statement in between the covers, as obviously the car is potentially way too complex for the average bloke to fettle.

2. An official source of info I found refers to a couple of really obscure spots under the car as reference points, no doubt to cancel out such variations as tyre and wheel sizes and pressures.

3. Another source actually used a bit of common sense and provided a nominal figure of height, being measured from the ground to the top of the wheel arch. Why can't the 'official" books do this? It's a much easier method and makes for easy comparison and diagnosis.

So anyway, the point 3 mentioned above reckoned a height of 69.5cm was 'normal' with 195/65 x 15" tyres. My car has 215/55 x 16 tyres which I reckon should be similar, albeit a calculated 4.2mm higher. (8.4mm greater diameter)

When I measured the wheel arch to ground on my car I got 72cm.

Taking the 69.5 as being nominally right, and subtracting the extra 4.2mm it seems the 'nominal' height should be 65.3cm. That makes mine 4.7cm too high. This seems to make sense to me.

So my question to all you C5 owners out there. Get your cars on level footing, grab a tape measure and let me know what your measurements are. (Of the CAR Simpkins! No-one likes a skite!)

Armed with what I suspect will corroborate my surmise above, I'll do the stand and jackstands thing and attempt a slight lowering.

I should mention that the subframe has been out a couple of times while Mephi was 'in hospital' so relative adjustment could well be awry.

Over to you Brains Trust.

Cheers, Pottsy

Advertisement

Oh and here's what it looks like at present, engine idling, selector on Normal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 Suspension height checking-front-wheel-height.jpg  
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

I'm fairly sure the C5 can have its sensor link upset in the same manner as under informed mechanics altered the Xantia - heaving the anti roll bar aside when doing wishbones.

It may be suited to resetting with Lexia.

1000+ Posts

How about we measure from the wheel /hub centre to the wheel arch.
    then the wheel size does not matter ?
    Mike
    addo and shanadoo like this.
    Mike Holt
    C5/C6/XM/DS21
    prev CX /Xantias

You're attempting to apply commonsense and methodology. Watch it disappear into the white noise of less educated posts.
    shanadoo likes this.

Thanks Seasink, I've got that file and yes, it shows the process quite clearly.

Unfortunately the method specified requires that the car be on a 4 post hoist for accurate measurement. My 4 poster is yet a month or two away.

Sure you can measure from hub centre, but it's not as convenient or easy as measuring from the ground surface.

Oh, and I suspect that most of the C5s around have the 16" wheels anyway.

Come on guys, I'm just after a representative sample for comparison. How hard does it need to be?

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Start by looking for bending to the anti roll bar clamp and sensor mount bracket. This is quite possibly where it went wrong before!
    shanadoo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Just as addo says. Had the very same problem with my 2004 C5 earlier in its life, blamed the factory for shoddy assembly. Even posted the same questions myself. But then later I remembered, Brisbane Citroen had removed the front end to swap the excellent gearbox for a dodgie one from those shonks down at the bottom of the map who shall remain nameless.
    Problem was the Micro switch clamped to the sway bar was way out of alignment with the chassis link. It was so far out it had distorted the switch mounting cover plate. Realigned it and adjusted the height= beautiful.

Now advice, don't just realign the switch. Check that the sway/torsion bar is sitting center on the cross member. It may be that the bar has slipped over to one side when the links were undone.

I reckon height measurement should be set from wheel center, but if measuring from the ground check the rim height first to see if it's the same on both side and allow if it's not.

It's hard to measure ride height in Queesland, we don't have any level ground. Cheers Tony.
    Last edited by shanadoo; 1st December 2014 at 07:44 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

It's hard to measure ride height in Queesland, we don't have any level ground. Cheers Tony.[/QUOTE]

Hills one day, valleys the next. Oh, how you suffer [ rolls eyes ] !

Richard

Heh heh. You should try living in this part of Melbourne. Even the ants have one leg longer than the other.

But seriously folks, I agree there are any number of possible causes for the height to be not quite right, and I'll investigate once I can do so safely. (Come on Hoist!) Certainly knowing the subframe has been disturbed points me in that direction, but I trust the lads at Auto Paris not to have bent or distorted anything. Hamfisted they ain't.

My basic question, or request if you will, was simply to have a measurement (between two easily determined points) from a few other cars that are apparently normal (insofar as any Cit can be!) for comparison. How hard can this be?

It could well be that Mephi is sitting at exactly the same height as all his siblings, but without some input from other cars I just don't know.

On the face of it I'm guessing at least 40mm too high, as measured from ground to wheel arch, and since I'm looking for comparisons the squish of the tyre etc is irrelevant.

Seems like I'll never know!

OK, end of peevishness, and thanks for responding people.

Cheers, Pottsy
    shanadoo likes this.
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger!

M.Pottsy, I just measured the wheel arch height on my C5. Key on and door opened and shut so therefore at normal ride height. It is on 215/55/16 original size tyres.
    Measured from level concrete floor to the height of the wheel arch and on the centreline of the wheels FRONT 704mm REAR 700 mm.
    No difference between left and right.
    Hope this helps your question.

Fellow Frogger!

PS I looked back at Mephisto's picture. Mine is a restyle C5 so maybe there will be a difference but I doubt it.

Thanks Fritz, yer blood's worth bottling!

By restyle do you mean an X7 model perhaps? Mephi is a "facelift" in that he has the new front but still has the pixie ears at the back.

I measured 72cm and 69 front/rear so maybe he's not as high as I thought.

Food for thought, and my thanks again.

Cheers, pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger

Your cars are essentially the same car, both 'restyle'/'facelift' cars but one is a wagon and the other a hatch/sedan.
    For a normal S1 V6 parked on the flat with new tyres of the correct size, correct inflation, after opening the door and letting it adjust, being much the same car as yours other than the extreme pointy and blunt ends, I measure 70cm at the front and 69 at the rear.

An inch or so, is enough to get fussy about.

C5s do seem to ride high at the "standing" height.
    shanadoo likes this.

It looks a little high to my eyeball, but I don't have a C5, I just see one once a fortnight.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

C5 Suspension height checking-dscn0308.jpg

Checked mine, door open, door closed: 700mm front, 695mm rear.

Pottsy: Please check your figures because subtracting 4.2mm from 69.5cm will not give you a result of 65.3cm but instead 69.08cm.......
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Always have struggled with the metric system! My apologies for a stupid arithmetical error. You're exactly right.

Thanks guys, it's looking like mine may be just a tad higher than it should be, but not as much as I expected.

Time to chase up that hoist supplier methinks!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post
    It's hard to measure ride height in Queesland, we don't have any level ground. Cheers Tony.
    Hills one day, valleys the next. Oh, how you suffer [ rolls eyes ] !

Richard[/QUOTE]

That's not counting the floating bitumen and the potholes the council keeps digging. Or the great mounds where they filled the holes in. Yes great roads.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Always have struggled with the metric system! My apologies for a stupid arithmetical error. You're exactly right.

Thanks guys, it's looking like mine may be just a tad higher than it should be, but not as much as I expected.

Time to chase up that hoist supplier methinks!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Well to answer= My C5 2004 Hdi 2Ltr with 15" wheels= Front from ground 680 mm-- Rear 700mm. I set the rears with 12mm clearance on the rebound rubbers to save them from constant loadings. On the height switch setting, the thickness of a soft pencil line will give you 12mm variation in height. So be careful. Fail to see why you need a hoist though. Cheers.

However I still reckon the sway bar is out of alignment. With nothing locking it in place it can slip from side to side. It's only held by the end links. Easy mistake when replacing the cross member and the common fault here is in thinking it'll find its own center once its loaded. Rarely happens.
    Last edited by shanadoo; 2nd December 2014 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks Shan. I figured the variation would be fairly large in proportion to the movement of the sensor.

Call me a chicken but I simply don't fancy trying this lying flat on my back under the car, even on ramps and with stands "standing by".

I'm planning on having a brand new 4 post hoist in the next month or so and one of the (many) reasons for finally equipping myself with one of these is for safe work and maintenance on my Hydraulic cars. (Not to mention I'm getting too old for crawling under the buggers, and the Mini especially needs to be jacked up just to do an oil change.)

68cm was the figure quoted in one of the overseas fora as being the "normal" height. Looks like my nominal 72/69 is too high at the front by a smidgeon. (Is that an SI unit? Maybe it should be!)

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Well to answer= My C5 2004 Hdi 2Ltr with 15" wheels= Front from ground 68 mm-- Rear 70mm. I set the rears with 12mm clearance on the rebound rubbers to save them from constant loadings. On the height switch setting, the thickness of a soft pencil line will give you 12mm variation in height. So be careful. Fail to see why you need a hoist though. Cheers.

However I still reckon the sway bar is out of alignment. With nothing locking it in place it can slip from side to side. It's only held by the end links. Easy mistake when replacing the cross member and the common fault here is in thinking it'll find its own center once its loaded. Rarely happens.
    You've also muddled up cm and mm.

Stop picking on us old blokes!

We're only human. Well at least I know I am!
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

Stop picking on us old blokes!

We're only human. Well at least I know I am!
    I've probably got you well covered regarding age.

Fellow Frogger

.... a smidgeon. (Is that an SI unit? Maybe it should be!)
    When will you be recalibrating your speedometer to record furlongs per fortnight?
    km/hr may seem very slow by comparison.
    GreenBlood likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information