• 3 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By jaahn
  • 1 Post By Peter O
  • 1 Post By jaahn

Thread: '04 C5 Hdi BSI unit removal

Fellow Frogger!

Default '04 C5 Hdi BSI unit removal

Anyone got a clue as to how to undo the BSI unit to allow it to swing down from under the dash. I removed the glovebox and there seems to be one bolt locking the unit into place but it remained locked when this is removed. I reckon there would be two bolts, one each side, but the BSI is jammed hard against the body panel preventing the removal of any second bolts. Also the carrier for the BSI unit seems to be twisted and doesn't appear to be correctly fitted, yet from what I can feel, it mounts on 3 studs so alignment should be correct.
    I have trouble getting down into fruit bat position these days to fully investigate the problem so any advise would be appreciated.
    The Haynes manual of poorly produced and irrelevant information is spot on as usual, unreadable nothingness, unless I was overhauling the engine.
    Appreciate any advise. Tony.

Advertisement
    Last edited by shanadoo; 29th November 2014 at 07:22 PM.

Icon3

Hi Tony,

Sometimes a picture can be useful. looks like 2 bolts need to be removed before the unit will swing down.

Yell out if I can be of assistance, not that I'm at all familiar with what you are up to

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '04 C5 Hdi BSI unit removal-c5-bsi.jpg  
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Chris, not too sure what I'm looking at anyway, seems to be different to mine but I've not really had a good look. Airbag, and other "flash then gone" warnings come up frequently of late. After investigation I found if I reach behind the under dash fuse box conglomeration of electrical stuff and push/wiggle the wiring around any connectors, the problem goes away for a period of time. It's impossible to unplug the connectors for a look see. So I'll have to work on it. Thanks Tony

1000+ Posts

Hi shanadoo,
    If helpful, I have a BSI module out of a petrol early car that is not being used. Who knows how many different iterations there are but perhaps only one ?
    I have taken a pic of the number ! It is very light !
    Jaahn'04 C5 Hdi BSI unit removal-dscf8181-640x480-.jpg
    shanadoo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi shanadoo,
    If helpful, I have a BSI module out of a petrol early car that is not being used. Who knows how many different iterations there are but perhaps only one ?
    I have taken a pic of the number ! It is very light !
    JaahnClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8181 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	63501
    Thanks jaahn, been trying to psych myself up to the task so we'll see, Might try to-day, probs getting worse, Cheers.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Thanks jaahn, been trying to psych myself up to the task so we'll see, Might try to-day, probs getting worse, Cheers.
    Tony, yell out if I can help - your place or mine

Here's another angle of a removed unit, looks like you need to remove 3 fixtures before it swings down?

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '04 C5 Hdi BSI unit removal-c5-bsi-2.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Probably better not to cut the wires on a running vehicle.
    shanadoo, jaahn and citroenut like this.

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Probably better not to cut the wires on a running vehicle.
    That's an Ebay UK item, pretty shocking how the part has been retrieved - how easy would it have been to just unplug the connectors

Still it makes for good reference I guess. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    That's an Ebay UK item, pretty shocking how the part has been retrieved - how easy would it have been to just unplug the connectors

Still it makes for good reference I guess. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    The real pity is that the wiring tails have been cut so short.

I've been known to use the same technique, however having done electronic service for many years , I would always leave long tails on the connectors.

This means the connectors are able to be used a donors to a vehicle with dicky plug or contact.

I guess it's the focus of person who removed it, money in this case.
    shanadoo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

"I guess it's the focus of person who removed it, money in this case".

Hi robmac, nah no focus, no brains. I've seen 'em gas axe through drive shafts to remove a motor, how stupid is that. I agree about leaving longer wires, saved the porky many times. Cheers.
    Last edited by shanadoo; 2nd December 2014 at 04:01 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Chris, let you know.

Got a bit of stupid medical stuff at the moment so???. See Yer.

Fellow Frogger!

Well thanks guys for your help, but today I decided enough scodgin' off, this was a Thunderbirds Are Go day. So I rounded up that Mexican helper Gusto and got right into this C5. Posted some phone pics, their not too good, but the best I could do while impersonating a fruit bat.
    So here's how the BSI unit comes out glovebox removed..

Unclip the C fuse box and the Lexia download plug then remove the plastic hood they were attached to from the top of the BSI carrier, there's 2 clips on the right side+ 1 on left, [do not throw this part away].
    Undo the 2 screws on the bottom corners of the BSI and remove the locating clamps.
    Push the bottom of the BSI toward the engine bay until it swings on the vertical,
    Lift the unit up slightly and pull the top toward the boot and the unit should engage with it's release gate and drop down.
    Disconnect the wiring plugs and take out the BSI. [Do not throw this part away either].

So the reason I was having so much trouble removing the beast was that someone had been there before me. Must have been very, very early in the vehicle's life. Now I live in Brisbane so no prizes for guessing who ballsed that up. So here was the wiring all bunched together and zippie tied right over the top of the BSI which prevented the unit from being raised to align with the release gate.
    Plus the bottom screws and retaining brackets were missing so the unit bounced around wherever it liked [within reason]. Looks like that bloke with a big letter "H" burned into his forehead had struck again. But more to the point is why was the BSI unit removed in the first place. I'll probably never know. Cheers Tony.

Ok 1st pic is BSI back in showing home made clamps in place.
    2nd shows hood removed. Upside down I'm sorry.
    3rd shows wiring bunched up with non genuine plastic tie.
    4th shows BSI removed, front view.
    5th is supposed to show BSI Identification label, pretty poor pic.
    Last edited by shanadoo; 4th December 2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: adding

1000+ Posts

Hi shanadoo
    Here is my advice for what it is worth. A computer hater.
    Get the photos organised so you can edit them. They must be reduced in size as they are normally too big a file to put on here.
    So go to edit in your picture program and select reduce (or whatever). I just select the smallest in the menu offered. NOTE where it saves them so you can find them again !!!
    Open a reply window and write the text. Then above the text area there are some useful functions offered, size of font, bold etc ect . At the right hand end there are 5 funny symbols. Put the mouse pointer on them and they show their function. The middle one which looks like a picture frame is the one. {Insert image} Click on it and a box comes up which is called {insert image}.
    At the bottom it asks {select files} Click on that and the computer will open your program files list or something. Rat through that to find the pictures you doctored. Just click on the one you want and it will appear in the box as a file name. Do it again to get all the pictures you want. When finished press {upload files} The whole thing then goes to the forum. So have the text done first.
    Cheers Jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 3rd December 2014 at 11:32 PM.
    shanadoo likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Jaahn
    I think you should change careers and take up writing instruction manuals. That is one of the clearest and easy to read explanations I have seen anywhere.
    Especially could you take up rewriting those chinglish instructions that come with virtually all electronic items these days
    shanadoo likes this.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks to jaahn and Chris, I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Thanks to jaahn and Chris, I did it.
    The big question Tony, have you disappeared those phantom messages?

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Fellow Frogger!

Re messages. So far so good, probably why the ABS Sr///,. came up when I turned tight corners on a camper change.

I was pretty happy before with the way it drove, but now, discounting any medication I may/not be on, the thing seems to drive so differently. Can't explain, it's like it's had a full upgrade or such. Even sounds different somehow. I'm off for a good lie down. Excitement drains the strength. Cheers Tony.

UPDATE,
    Went for a drive this morning 06/11/'14 and it's definitely a better vehicle altogether. Seems to have a lot more engine power, turbo quite strong on demand, gearbox shifts are smooth, quick and quiet, and under power the car responds as the converter locks with a gentle shove in the back and an exhaust note that would make Steve McQueen envious. [I may be exaggerating just a smidgin there]
    Best of all there's virtually no flat spot/turbo lag when taking off. It's pretty damn good for a 10 year old car.
    Truly it really hasn't driven this well since before it had a gearbox change at 60.oooKs. Bastards.

Deep conniving thinks "how can I get away from the cook and into the mountains".
    Last edited by shanadoo; 6th December 2014 at 01:48 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter O View Post
    Jaahn
    I think you should change careers and take up writing instruction manuals. That is one of the clearest and easy to read explanations I have seen anywhere.
    Especially could you take up rewriting those chinglish instructions that come with virtually all electronic items these days
    Well Peter,
    My door is always open to those carrying brief cases of money My time is not priceless ! Thanks for the words !!

Tony,
    Glad to hear you got the car running apparently much better. Keep up the pills You also learnt a new skill on the keyboard. A win win day Not common with a Citroen sometimes
    Jaahn
    shanadoo likes this.

Tadpole

Hi shanadoo, I know long time on this but what exactly you've done with the BSI? Actually I have a bit lack of power on my C5 (2003 2.0 Hdi) not much and still drive-able but enough to notice it. I changed the air mass sensor and "reset the BSI" to clear adoptive data but did not improved too much. Lexia shows no relevant faults (as far I know, only like no CD charger and door switch issue all permanent faul and recently the air con pump developed a permanent fault) so I would much appreciated if you could tell me a bit more what cured yours. Cheers RP

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by nagy592 View Post
    Hi shanadoo, I know long time on this but what exactly you've done with the BSI? Actually I have a bit lack of power on my C5 (2003 2.0 Hdi) not much and still drive-able but enough to notice it. I changed the air mass sensor and "reset the BSI" to clear adoptive data but did not improved too much. Lexia shows no relevant faults (as far I know, only like no CD charger and door switch issue all permanent faul and recently the air con pump developed a permanent fault) so I would much appreciated if you could tell me a bit more what cured yours. Cheers RP
    Hi sorry for long delay in answer but speaking BSI in my case it appears the harness wiring was strapped so tightly around the top of the shroud holding the BSI in place, whoever strapped it couldn't screw the anchor bolts back in and only one of the pivot lugs was aligned. So they just left it like that. I only spotted the fault when I had the glovebox out and noticed the BSI was sitting at a crazy angle. [being a French car I almost dismissed this as a design quirk]
    Anyway this strapping caused the wiring to pull so hard on the connectors it was evidently causing poor, and maybe loss of connections.
    I cut all the zipp ties and pulled as much length on the wiring harness as I could get and reassembled it all with special home made washers and new bolts. Results amazing, what a car.

Didn't last long though, dropped its bundle big time a couple of months later. Very annoyingly intermittent. [like any further than around the block and I was waiting for it to reduce the power to a dangerous gutless crawl [or break down all together] Eventually sold the beast last year.

Thread Information