Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By Balki
  • 1 Post By ajaxvte
  • 1 Post By forumnoreason

Thread: D Special: heater matrix

Fellow Frogger!

Default D Special: heater matrix

Ok, unable to source a replacement so I reluctantly decide to have the heater matrix rebuilt, at considerable expense. I install it (I thought) without problem.

No heat. Not a bit. I am assured the unit has been pressure tested. There are no leaks, the coolant is clearly running through. The valve appears to be working just fine.

And before the wags say just rely on the terribly effective heat soak on any day above 17 degrees, I just want to have the car functioning properly, and as designed!

Advertisement

What have I done wrong?

AM

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxvte View Post
    Ok, unable to source a replacement so I reluctantly decide to have the heater matrix rebuilt, at considerable expense. I install it (I thought) without problem.

No heat. Not a bit. I am assured the unit has been pressure tested. There are no leaks, the coolant is clearly running through. The valve appears to be working just fine.

And before the wags say just rely on the terribly effective heat soak on any day above 17 degrees, I just want to have the car functioning properly, and as designed!

What have I done wrong?

AM
    With the heater matrix cleaned and rebuilt the heater in a D is quite effective. . .

With the car up to operating temperature and the heater valve open, check to see the inlet and outlet hoses are hot.

If you have no heat from the side vents (fan on) check the windscreen demister vents. Also the the tube that sits above the accelerator pedal that directs heat to the footwell.

If you have heat from any one of the 3 sources your heater is working.

Now check to see if adjusting the slide lever at the heater control is adjusting the flap to direct air to these outlets. The cables can jam and whilst the lever has moved to direct air the flap may not be operating (cable bending/jamming).

Let us know how you get on. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

I have seen one where the core was hot but didnt heat the car, found the lower radiator steel elbow where the heater pipe joins in the little hose tail, had rusted sold with silt and rust
    GreenBlood likes this.

I was thinking hose blockage could be the problem, worth investigating, bet they're full of crud.

UFO

As AM says above it appears coolant is flowing through, therefore this should rule out a blockage. I think either the vent pipes are blocked or disconnected. Is ANY air flowing from the front of the left hand air intake behind the bumper to the inside of the car? If not, start looking there.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Track down the crappy cardboard and foil air duct tubes. There's a more than fair chance they are either not attached, crushed beyond recognition, have fallen out ... the smaller diameter one just rests inside the rear larger diameter one, the wire qauze ( bug filter ) at the heater matrix end is completely plugged with dead insects, grass or mouse nests. Depending on age some of the valve taps have a capillary tube that can vary the throughput of hot radiator water. Is the valve really functioning ? Is the booster fan operating ? The fan motors also get crud laden and armatures and brushes just need a clean. Some of the fan motors are a closed design, others have virtually no covering over the brush end, depending on supplier. You won't notice mush heat unless it is pushed into the cabin.

Check the wiring?

Fellow Frogger!

Fixed! Adjusted cables to vents. Now like an oven. Will turn it back on in six months...

slowly getting through the list. Last item was reversing lights, now working for first time in 20 years.

next will be window washer pump and lines...
    UFO likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Don't you just love the relative simplicity of the D .... none of the electrickery computer controlled extravagance of newer stuff. Give me wire push pull cables over vacuum controls or solenoids/motors anyday.
    A nice simple solution by the sounds.

And here I was going to suggest you look for a flat tire as that will always cause the heater to not work.
    Wink wink

AF needs an award system like "diagnosis winner" for instance Greenblood is the recipient for this case: )
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Thread Information