BX clutch cable
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: BX clutch cable

Default BX clutch cable

Having a bit (a large bit) of trouble replacing a clutch cable. OK, took the broken one out that was easy. Now replacing it looks a bit hard. Attached the inner cable and bolted the metal pedal frame in place - very hard to locate the end of the outer cable into place. Should both sections of the cable be attached INSIDE the car before the frame gets bolted into place, or what . . . . .??
    Anyone who has done the job please advise the easy (?) procedure.
    The re attachment of the rubber covering also looks like a fun experience.

Advertisement

Any help appreciated.
    Rim.Z

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by rimzit View Post
    Having a bit (a large bit) of trouble replacing a clutch cable. OK, took the broken one out that was easy. Now replacing it looks a bit hard. Attached the inner cable and bolted the metal pedal frame in place - very hard to locate the end of the outer cable into place. Should both sections of the cable be attached INSIDE the car before the frame gets bolted into place, or what . . . . .??
    Anyone who has done the job please advise the easy (?) procedure.
    The re attachment of the rubber covering also looks like a fun experience.

Any help appreciated.
    Rim.Z
    Can i suggest joining and posting this issue to www.bxclub.co.uk..

u should get a raft of suggestions

Thank you for the suggestion 2bx...etc. I'll try it. I still find it hard to accept that there is no one on AF who has not replaced a cable or had to get the metal bracket welded. I have faith that somethibg will crop up.
    Rim.Z

I've done a bunch of them, but not for a few years. The easiest way to do one is to start with a LHD car! I vaguely recall having to lightly butcher the metal cover on the engine bay side to install it, and also to use a spacer to keep the clutch pedal up while installing the cable so that the spring doesn't pull the pedal to the floor.

I also recall thinking that a 16v clutch cable replacement was really an engine out job...

Get someone in the car to work the clutch pedal and hold it away from the firewall as far as it will go. Put the cable up through the cable outer shroud holder hole and have the inner cable pin facing from side to side. Get the person with the clutch pedal to slowly lower it until you start to see it coming up towards the firewall slot. Hold the top of the cable with some needle nose pliers and push on the pin with a screw driver so that the pin can engage in the slot of the clutch pedal as it goes past. Hopefully it will then slide down to the bottom of the slot and become more or less permanently hooked so you can go do the businnes at the gearbox end.

Don't stick any fingers in the hole - they can get trapped between the pedal and the firewall with accompanying extreme pain.

Cheers,

Ken W

Thread Information