C5 Wagon towbar
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C5 Wagon towbar

Default C5 Wagon towbar

We progress with Mephistopheles.

Finally arrived from Queensland was my new towbar kit from Towbars Australia.

Have to say this is a first class bit of hardware. Their catalogue number was CIT713. Load capacity is 1600 kg and the ball weight maximum is 85 kg. Since my Mini on its trailer is just over 1100 kg all up, and braked, I reckon the Big Red Devil should handle it with ease should I ever want the Mini to be a trailer queen.

It's made in Poland, meets all the right standards and bolted straight up to the 6 captive M10 mounts on the chassis. Time for installation of the hardware was about half an hour after putting the back of the beast up on stands. All the holes lined up, all the bolts are the right size and the finish is excellent. The instructions were pretty self explanatory and in a lot of languages. Only weird thing is the kit included a spring which I can't find on the diagrams or in the instructions. For the life of me I can't imagine what it's for, but it was in the list of contents! Anyone want a small spring?

Advertisement

I'm a bit bemused by the fact that the reversing sensors seem to think the "donkey dick" goose neck is close enough for three bars on the readout. Given that it's only a few scant inches from the centre of the bumper and well inside what I would have thought was the "sightline" for the ultrasonic doohickeys, I'm wonder what's going on. Time will tell when I get motivated to have a play. In the meantime, said Asses Appendage is stowed in with the spare wheel.

Price was $400 give or take a bit for the bar, and $50 round figures for the "Universal ECU wiring harness". Delivery via TNT freight was $45. I reckon that's not bad.

My only quibble was their initial lack of communication. At the time of ordering they acknowledged the order and I heard nothing for a month or so. When I chased them up I was told that I had to wait for stock to come from Europe and that they'd sent an e-mail to my address which was returned by the ISP. While this was patently false, I must say that I received a couple of progress phone calls after that and the end result is all good.

So now that the bar is fitted my next project is to make the lighting connection work. As I see it, if the "ECU" simply gets a "voltage present or absent" signal from the relevant globe and uses the solid 12V supply to then pass that on via a switching device to the trailer globe, I can't see how this should have any effect on the car's electrickery at all.

I've read all of the comments on this and a couple of other Fora concerning interconnection with the ESC etc. All I can say is that I've been towing trailers of various sizes and weights behind my French cars for many years, all without the "benefits" of a box of silicon chippery to "assist" me. I can't see that changing with this car. It's more about how you load the trailer and drive than being reliant on a black box to get you out of a hole. That's my opinion for what it's worth.

And as far as the parking sensors are concerned, I'll just hit the off button when I'm towing. Can't remember the last time I tried to parallel park with a trailer on anyway!

More news as it comes to hand.

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Good luck with the electrics. I hear horror stories about multiplex systems and trailer electrical connections. It isn't just "tack on the back" AFAIK.

Was using our Xantia with trailer this week. Lovely. We've hit 90,000 km at last. Another 200,000 to go.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tadpole

Hi Pottsy,
    I seem to recall that there is an extra pin in the trailer socket to disable the rear parking sensors, on
    some cars. This pin is shorted to Gnd, I think, when the trailer plug in inserted up the car's bottom.
    Hence, when the trailer is plugged in, no more squawking!

Andrew

Thanks guys. I'll be doing a bit more research before I get stuck in.

I think the "extra pin" thing involves a weirdo trailer plug. I want to run with a standard 8 pin flat if I can manage it, but that still allows me an unused pin or two to fiddle with since none of the potential "towees" use other than the standard stop/tail/left/right/ground connections.

John, sure you don't want a parts car, just in case?

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Waiting in the wings
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy
    Substitute horse with Xantia... Nicked from an old Punch motoring humour collection. Been a favourite cartoon since I was in short pants, this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C5 Wagon towbar-punch_horse_1.jpg   C5 Wagon towbar-punch_horse_2.jpg   C5 Wagon towbar-punch_horse_3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll be doing a bit more research before I get stuck in.

I think the "extra pin" thing involves a weirdo trailer plug. I want to run with a standard 8 pin flat if I can manage it, but that still allows me an unused pin or two to fiddle with since none of the potential "towees" use other than the standard stop/tail/left/right/ground connections.

Cheers, Pottsy
    If I had a wagon and lived a bit closer.... I hardly ever have needed parts for the Xantia mind you! Oops.............
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Substitute horse with Xantia... Nicked from an old Punch motoring humour collection. Been a favourite cartoon since I was in short pants, this one.
    Yes, an oldie but a goodie. Somewhere I have a book on Motoring with Punch, I'm sure...
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Thread Information