D Safari paintwork differences UK & French
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default D Safari paintwork differences UK & French

I have been talking to brother Michael about painting the rear bottom corners black as Safaris always are but I might be wrong.
    Although the DS book is very good there are many photos of cars that are not totally as they should be and this is admitted by the writers. There is the odd English Safari in the book and like Michael’s 1960 Slough model the rear bottom corners are not finished in black.
    What seems a small detail can completely throw the look of a car if incorrect.

So there we are. Did the Slough factory think it was not important to paint the corners black ?
    The difference in my opinion is quite major as the “French version” looks lighter and maybe the Slough even looks a bit longer as well as looking “heavier”.

I would leave a Slough Safari without the black corners if that is how Slough made them so I wonder whether anyone could enlighten me on which is correct for a Slough Safari.

John Paas

Advertisement

Attachment 63247
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D Safari paintwork differences UK & French-safari-flemington-racv-2013.jpg   D Safari paintwork differences UK & French-safari.jpg   D Safari paintwork differences UK & French-ds-68-newell-jan-2012-bw.jpg   D Safari paintwork differences UK & French-safari-int-nz.jpg   D Safari paintwork differences UK & French-safari-menaia-nz.jpg   D Safari paintwork differences UK & French-safari-dash-nz.jpg  

Last edited by gilberthenry; 30th November 2014 at 01:21 PM.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post

I have been talking to brother Michael about painting the rear bottom corners black as Safari’s always are but - - dare I say, am I wrong. Being of Dutch origin I am never wrong but is there a dilemma here.
    Although the DS book is very good there are many photos of cars that are not totally as they should be and this is admitted by the writers. There is the odd English Safari in the book and like Michael’s 1960 Slough model the rear bottom corners are not finished in black. This has always irritated me as also interior upside down mirrors.
    What seems a small detail can completely throw the look of a car if incorrect.

So there we are. Did the Slough factory think it was not important to paint the corners black ?
    The difference in my opinion is quite major as the “French version” looks lighter and maybe the Slough even looks a bit longer as well as looking “heavier”.

Because I am a bit of a stickler for detail I would leave a Slough Safari without the black corners if that is how Slough made them so I wonder whether anyone could enlighten me on which is correct for a Slough Safari.

John Paas
    Not conclusive but having had a quick google it would appear the Slough Safari missed out on the black
    The English Citroën DS Part 3

I too prefer the blacked triangle but it may be because it is what I've been used to seeing

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Chris, by those extra photos it seems to be the case. I have included the picture of Michael's 1960 Slough Safari with the previous owner at RACV Flemington British & European Day 2013.

It seems that it may have to stay the same Michael - - without the black triangle, so I won't hound you anymore.

Apart from the wooden dash etc I always admired these Slough examples without actually noticing why they looked different and here we are. There is always something we can learn.

The middle picture on my first post seems to be an early French safari sold through Slough with English hubcaps. The reason that I think it to be French is the white dash parts instead of wood - - the plot thickens.

John Paas.
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 25th November 2014 at 10:52 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Just found photos I've put with original post.
    I took 3 of an early Slough Safari similar to Michael's at Stuart Craig's shed in Menaia New Zealand some years ago. It interested me at the time as I'd never seen an early English Safari before. It has the triangles blacked out so I'm thinking that there is no hard and fast rule with Slough Safaris.

Maybe it is just that very few people bother to blacken the triangles after a paint job ???

John

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    Just found photos I've put with original post.
    I took 3 of an early Slough Safari similar to Michael's at Stuart Craig's shed in Menaia New Zealand some years ago. It interested me at the time as I'd never seen an early English Safari before. It has the triangles blacked out so I'm thinking that there is no hard and fast rule with Slough Safaris.

Maybe it is just that very few people bother to blacken the triangles after a paint job ???

John
    Still nothing conclusive John but the weight is leaning toward no black on Slough cars. . .

All but two images taken from GB Brochures of the time.

Cheers
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D Safari paintwork differences UK &amp; French-slough-safari.jpg   D Safari paintwork differences UK &amp; French-slough-safari2.jpg   D Safari paintwork differences UK &amp; French-slough-safari3.jpg   D Safari paintwork differences UK &amp; French-slough-safari4.jpg   D Safari paintwork differences UK &amp; French-slough-safari5.jpg   D Safari paintwork differences UK &amp; French-slough-safari6.jpg  

D Safari paintwork differences UK &amp; French-slough-safari7.jpg   D Safari paintwork differences UK &amp; French-slough-safari8.jpg  
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Icon11 The Black Triangle?

Meanwhile half way across the globe our Swedish friends are having a similar discussion 6 pages so far on the 'Black Triangle"

citroenakuten.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=64100&sid=26442dd84dffa1d73e3 c07219b6e61f9 - Translator

Quote Originally Posted by staffan
    Bulvane Lundin and his sidekick krö sus owner, secret Urban, Pere, dirk sassen, citralasse, etc. The list goes on forever. Seemingly sensible, kvasinoggranna, wannabe-citronister which renovates, paints, sells, welds, hires, collecting, driving, or just like the "has" the best and most sensible model (DS/id break). So do the same faux pas, they all do the same DISASTROUS miss. Still has the same form and scale as the retrokvinnobehåring which we all enjoy so much.They overlook that paint the rear triangle black! The line game is destroyed, the whole party, the entire aft capsize ingenious ful-nice-cool design falls completely, completely fully completely flat. Only for such a simple thing as not having it (as it should be) painted black.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

Thread Information