• Register
  • Help

Thread: Rilsan

Default Rilsan

bit of interesting stuff....
    Biosourced materials in cars: Arkema?s solutions

Advertisement

JBN

Hopefully these products are better than the rubberised plastic coating on the automatic gearlever of my 1995 Xantia.

The last few days have had interior temperatures of 35 degrees with the car moving and all windows open about 50mm (yeah, the aircon doesn't work, its a Citroen after all). When parked in the sun, I expect the temperatures to be higher.

The rubberised plastic gearlever cover is breaking off bit by bit. It has happened before, in fact it seems to happen every summer. I keep regluing the pieces together and coat the whole lot with a rubber glue.

This year I may let it all fall off and see what it is like grabbing the metal when operating the lever. My wife will probably become adept at very quick operation of the lever from Park to Drive if the car has been left in the sun for some time.

John

Citroen History

I have just finished looking at the link to the DS on the Arkema site. What a fabulous story. It is the history of Citroen going back to its beginnings with Andre Citroen to the present day successes, including success in rallying. While I am familiar with most of the story, seeing this compilation was quite amazing. The only bit of history that seems to have been omitted was the first car to drive around Australia. It is in French, but it does not require the reader to be competent in that language to get the general drift.

A thoroughly good read.

Cheers
    Richard

luckily the French gave the English ( though some Saxons would argue otherwise if they had survived) a step up to decipher their websites.

Fellow Frogger!

Well weren't they Normans not French (which would make them Norsemen or Vikings) so really bilingual Scandinavians who speak so much better than native English speakers to this day
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

what were the French doing then? Eating cheese? : )

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Other wise know as Nylon 11. The main difference being that Arkema makes it from oil derived from Castor Beans. OTOH it is not biodegradable. Nylon was first made by DuPont in 1935.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter O View Post
    Well weren't they Normans not French (which would make them Norsemen or Vikings) so really bilingual Scandinavians who speak so much better than native English speakers to this day
    Normans have nothing to do with Norsemen. They came from Normandy a province of France. The Norse/Dane invasions from Scandinavia and Denmark came well before (aprox 5th -9th centuries) the invasion of the Normans in 1066.
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    Normans have nothing to do with Norsemen. They came from Normandy a province of France. The Norse/Dane invasions from Scandinavia and Denmark came well before (aprox 5th -9th centuries) the invasion of the Normans in 1066.

I'll drink to that!
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

A quick look at good old Wikipedia confirms they were descended from the Norse hence Normans. Bit more complicated after that in historic terms… Blood thirsty lot.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    And Normandy got its name from being the place where Normans (Norsemen) settled, much the same as Brittany where Bretons (celts from Briton) settled after the various Germanic (Angles, Saxons, Jutes) and Nordic (Danes) settlement in Briton and the gradual shifting of populations.

Funnily enough even till relatively recently some of the islands off the coast of Brittany and Normandy had what locals considered Vikings living there seperated from the others surrounding them, tall blond blue eyed compared to the relatively stocky and darker other locals. They were still considered newcomers, after 1000 years, and had not interbred. Communications between the islands was not great till the second half of the 20th century. So at least attests my mother in law who came from one of those areas and still remembers the contrasts between villages and their total isolation from each other even if only a couple of kms apart.
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Thread Information