Citroen C5 2006 engine noise
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen C5 2006 engine noise

I have recently bought a Citroen C5 2006 Diesel and note between 70klm and 90klm there is this profound "torque" noise. The closest I can compare the noise is to a single engine plane. Once over 90klm the car seems to run smooth and quiet. the gearbox seems to be running and changing O.K. and it has a lot of power. I have read somewhere else that it could be the belt pulleys etc. The tyres are also in a very good condition.

Advertisement

I would be very grateful if someone can advise of what the problem might be and the solution.

Tadpole

Please anyone, your thoughts.

1000+ Posts

Is this confined to an engine RPM band? Try changing gears manually to see if it can be induced at different road speeds.
    Or is it only road speed related?

Chech\k upper engine mount. Possibly a crack in rubber.

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by Simon K View Post
    Please anyone, your thoughts.
    So many possibilities. . .

Given the sound comes in at 70 and drops out at 90 I'd be checking the plastic undertray for loose or missing fixtures - but I like to seek out the little or no cost possibilities first

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger

The crankshaft damper does not give much trouble, but it's worth marking it to see if the outer part moves relative to the inner part or wobbles. You might make sure the alternator pulley has not jammed as it's a one-way clutch. It could be possible that it is causing a vibration at a particular engine speed rather than a specific speed range. Sometimes, the driveshafts can vibrate through a particular speed range and that can be because part of the inner joint has fallen out and interferes with its motion. Slight bends tend to show that up, so it's worth looking at. I would, however, suspect the tyres if they are more than a few years old, have worn unevenly or not been balanced properly. You could rotate them and see if there is any change in the noise. I do recall driving one well kept car with tyres that had lots of tread remaining and looked fine, yet they howled terribly. New tyres transformed it.

Fellow Frogger!

Think that looking at tyres first (rotate and look for flat spots or uneven wear) is on the money as David suggests.

You are saying that the noise comes in 70kph and out at 90kph. That suggests it is speed related and not engine related as engine revs would be up and down that range in lower gears.

Check by running at said speeds but holding gearbox manually in a lower gear. Is noise still present at those speeds? Is it the same or somehow different?
    Quick check of wheel bolt torque might also be appropriate.
    Have the wheels been rotated recently? If tyres are directional and they have been rotated such that they are running in reverse direction, it may be they are setting up a vibration at a specific speed, though it is more likely that would be present all the time to a greater or lesser extent.

Those plastic undertrays can give rise to some horrible noise when they are loose or damaged, yet not be noticed at city speeds. Having a good look under there would be the next place I would go. Have been there done that before, each time undertray was affected noise was different and made its presence felt at different times (damage mostly caused when parking up a slope over a shopping centre parking kerb with car settling and then catching back lip of undertray when reversing out. In 10 years this has happened a few times, but we learn by experience so not much recently, my spouse has learnt this now)

Try these at first because they will involve the least expense and enable you to have a good close look down there for anything else it may be. Like Greenblood advises, seek out the low or no cost alternatives first.

Good luck, post back your findings
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Hi Simon,
    I had a very similar and very strange problem to try to solve for another AF member. We were sure it was a front wheel bearing, but it wasn't, and it actually turned out to be a bad tyre, the belts had de-laminated , but we couldn't actually see anything. He actually removed the front hubs and replaced both front bearings, and had the same problem, a strange noise which was only apparent at a particular speed range. The owner later changed all the wheels/tyres for some spare ones he had, and two things happened. The noise stopped. One of the removed wheels tyre exploded in the sun in his back yard.
    It was this faulty tyre all along...
    I'd try swapping wheels front to back to see if that makes any difference.
    Good luck, cheers...

Thread Information