AL4 Oil - Confusing
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By seasink

Thread: AL4 Oil - Confusing

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Default AL4 Oil - Confusing

I'm wanting to change the oil in my Xantia AL4 auto transmission and have been advised by a knowledgable AFer to beware of choosing the wrong oil. Consequently I've consulted Dr Google and come up with a lot of opinions, the majority being Esso LT 71141 ATF as the way to go. Found an old AF thread on the topic that added to my confusion and got a bit narky to boot. Esso is available in Victoria but is very expensive and will require freighting as well. My question is: when a brand like Penrite or Nulon claims its oil meets LT 71141 specs (e.g. Penrite full synthetic) does that equate to it being at least as good as the original Esso LT 71141? Or would I be better off with the expensive older Esso variety?

Thanks for any advice

Advertisement

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

1000+ Posts

I'll add to the confusion. Here's a Sydney supplier of American Redline that claims equivalence. Mobil Oil, Redline Oil, Shell Oil, Royal Purple Oil, Pennzoil Oil,Dust-Off, Plasti Dip!. Royal Purple on the same site claims equivalence as well.

Onshore Oil in Brisbane has Total Fluide AT Long Life, also claims to be suitable. http://www.onshoreoils.com.au/upload...%20LIFE_PS.pdf
    Last edited by seasink; 19th November 2014 at 11:02 PM.
    jaahn likes this.

LT71141 is still readily available in NSW, in 20L "cubes".

1000+ Posts

Family owned elf distributor in bris 0439660295

1000+ Posts

Hi Inspector,
    I did own a C5 auto and have also a VW Transporter auto, which is an associated transmission which uses the same oil. I bought a 20 ltr drum of the LT71141 oil from my local Esso distributer several years ago at a reasonable price. I used this for oil changes for both but it ran out

So being now convinced that the oil is not the problem with these transmissions and that that oil is now a very ordinary specification and not worth paying through the nose for, or not even worth driving further to get, I changed to a full synthetic Multi use type. Penrite in fact. A reasonable price and guess what ? the world did not come to a halt, the sun came up the next day, and the transmissions worked as good or even smoother than before !!! No problems since then. A friend has done the same with his Pug also.

The problems with these transmissions are not caused by the oil, per say, it is the lack of oil changes, and faulty valves. Perhaps other faults also in some rarer instances. Nothing new there ! These problems are made worse by a dealer network who KNOW NOTHING ABOUT CARS AND CUSTOMERS generally. If you do your own oil changes and stay clear of the dealers your chances will be much improved IMHO.

jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 20th November 2014 at 09:01 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

As long as it's always readily available and conforms to LT71141 I use Penrite ATF full synthetic. Citroen doesn't have the monopoly on the AL4.

Fellow Frogger!

Well said jaahn. Stay way clear of dealers at all costs. Notice how Penrite is red?. Listen to a dealer rant when his numbered forehead serviceman discovers the red oil, my god it's better than the second coming. No blasphemy intended there, but wait until he's finished and, then tell him it's Penrite. The silence be deafening. Cheers Tony.

Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Thanks all - really appreciate your responses. I feel more relaxed now and have a few viable options.

You should use Elf

Another vote for Penrite FS. My Renault DPO is perfectly happy on this diet.

Thread Information