DS Chassis Repair - Folding Machine Type
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac

Thread: DS Chassis Repair - Folding Machine Type

Default DS Chassis Repair - Folding Machine Type

I have wanted to invest in a sheet metal folder for some time, but have not been able to justify the high cost.... but it seems that prices have some down a lot since I looked several years ago.

Looking for something which is inexpensive and works properly so I can at lease approximate a tradesman like job. It would only get occasional use - I have a few small boot repairs to do on the 71 and one other project after that. I also have occasion to fold up bits of sheet metal for brackets etc. from time to time.

In the past I've resorted to using the angle iron in the vice trick - with only adequate results.

Are the cheap ones on Ebay worth the trouble...? The cost is commensurate with the relatively small amount of use it would get but if it's only adequate I'll be disappointed.

18" X 16G Steel Sheet Metal Bending Brake Folder Bender Free Postage | eBay

I also see that Hare and Forbes have a proper panbrake style (600mm wide) for just over $300 - which is still a lot of $ for something which won't get a huge amount of use.

Would very much appreciate some advice from someone in the know, particularly on the different types of folders - last thing I want to do is invest $ in something which does half the job, and then have to go out and get the real thing anyway.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark...

Advertisement

The devil is in the detail.

To my eye the ebay bender looks to very light duty and would struggle on 1.5 mm sheet.

In the description s " Bending 16GA (1.5mm) thick sheet in smaller widths"

I could be suspicious, but to me, that suggests the bender won't handle a full width sheet of 1.2mm.

The Hare Forbes $500 cheapie looks a bit limited with a 1 mm rating.

For car restoration you are looking up to 1.2 minimum (body) and up to 14g (1.8mm) for chassis. A better quality bender will usually work a bit beyond it's limits.

I'd be looking at something like this :
    760mm X 1mm 3 IN 1 Sheet Metal Shear PAN Brake Folder Slip Roller Machine | eBay

For $500 get a combo machine which ultimately will be more useful. It's fairly heavy duty abd should handle the ocassional thicker sheet.

The cost will be zip compared to the rest of he resto costs and the tool more useful.

My 2 cents.
    ScotFrog likes this.

Many thanks for the input Rob - I'm really in the dark here...

Agree about the ebay one - it looks like it might struggle with anything long.

A question - I thought for most DS chassis work 1mm would be OK...? I think there are only a few places where it's more than that - but happy to be corrected by those in the know. I thought 1.8mm would be overkill or a 404's made of 1.8...? I know they are good solid cars but really..? LOL

I had a look at the Hare and Forbes cheapie - it's certainly solid (heavy) but can't comment on it's durability. I recon looking at it, it would do 1.2mm occasionally even though it says only 1mm.

I'm unclear as to the limitation in terms of multiple folds that the panbrake and the other type would do...?

Cheers,

Mark...

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Many thanks for the input Rob - I'm really in the dark here...

Agree about the ebay one - it looks like it might struggle with anything long.

A question - I thought for most DS chassis work 1mm would be OK...? I think there are only a few places where it's more than that - but happy to be corrected by those in the know. I thought 1.8mm would be overkill or a 404's made of 1.8...? I know they are good solid cars but really..? LOL

I had a look at the Hare and Forbes cheapie - it's certainly solid (heavy) but can't comment on it's durability. I recon looking at it, it would do 1.2mm occasionally even though it says only 1mm.

I'm unclear as to the limitation in terms of multiple folds that the panbrake and the other type would do...?

Cheers,

Mark...
    Quite correct Mark. For some reason the brain confused the sheet thicknesses. It's yonks since I bought sheet.

So let's have another go:

Panel are usually .8mm (22g), floors 1.2mm (18g), heavy structural stuff and angle brackets 1.5mm (16g) This is what I used in 404 anyway.

It would appear the the folder I suggested has the ability to fold, cut and roll curves in sheet.
    It also handles 700mm wide sheet which could be useful.

Here is how a dedicated slip roller works, obviously a manual machine is a lot slower.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMWas_MWYCE
    Last edited by robmac; 13th November 2014 at 04:33 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I reckon a couple of lengths of angle iron clamped into your bench vice will be more useful than the little toy bender. That roller one that Rob listed looks like it could be a handy toy Does it come with an english wheel
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information