Pug 206 1.6L engine into a C3 1.4L?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By addo

Thread: Pug 206 1.6L engine into a C3 1.4L?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Pug 206 1.6L engine into a C3 1.4L?

Hi All,

Advertisement

I could rebuild my bent valve and broken timing belt C3 1.4L engine of the TU3JP , single overhead valves (8) sort for a cost of about $500 plus my labour, or I could get hold of a Pug 206 1.6 L engine Vin code VF32CNFZE40902390. Does anyone know whether it will bolt in and onto my manual gearbox (MA5)? Alternately I could buy the engine and gearbox (manual), in which case will it match with the driveshafts?

Cheers, Erik

Fellow Frogger!

Or more specifically... The Pug has a 1.6 l 16 valve TU5 engine. The C3's also had a 1.6L TU5 engine. So should the Pug one be interchangeable?
    Last edited by Erikbm; 13th November 2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Physically, no problems. But what of your clutch linkage if using the 1.6's box.

Also the ECU is much different. If both cars are same protocol, consider a dash and BSI etc swap.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Addo, So if I grab the whole car, I should be able to make it work? I am a bit hazy on the electrical needs, so I was going to put it in and then see if my old injection manifold etc would bolt onto the new head, to save transferring the wiring loom, but if I need to do that, I may need to come back for advice. Are you suggesting the dashes will swap over?

I don't know if the cluster will physically fit, but it's the only way to carry over mileage from the donor engine to the recipient. Have never toyed with a multiplex dash.

At the very least you should swap over the engine, the donor engine's wiring harness, the underbonnet fusebox and the BSI. You'll also need to change over the key butts or the car won't start.

Fellow Frogger!

How I long for the good old pre computer days when you could take out your Morris Minor engine and drop in a V12 or such on the weekend and no one gave a fig. And they call it advancement. Thanks to the bloody Greenies we now have to lower the water instead of raising the bridge. Good luck on your project Erikbm.

Fellow Frogger!

its got nothing to do with greenies.

I'm a greenie and I share your regret that a simple engine swap is so bloody hard.

It's the manufacturers who want you to scrap the car and buy a new one - they make salvaging parts to re-use as hard as possible, all the while singing songs about security from theft, and other empty excuses.

I don't think it's that hard, once we struggled with mismatched carbies and badly curved distributors, plus engines that did well to make 80K miles before needing a major rebuild (and of course, the clever "modern" designs that had inaccessible strainers in oilways, which when blocked, allowed insufficient pressure to the timing chain tensioner). Modern cars are simple to dismantle and reassemble, have almost idiot-proof harnesses and go far longer in most cases between major services.

I think at (say) ten years of age you should be able to get locked engine components unlocked by the maker or supplier for a negligible fee, a bit like unlocking phones. It would make for a lot simpler transplanting of used bits.
    shanadoo likes this.

Thread Information