Any one here own a new C3?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any one here own a new C3?

Default Any one here own a new C3?

Hello all,

My partners mother is looking at getting a new C3 as her lease is about to expire on her current Holden. She finds the look of it cute, but also likes that is has the 6 year warranty.

I am just wondering if anyone owns one and can say how they like it? Is it reliable or will it spend about 2 out of the 6 years waiting at the dealer to get fixed? Any flaws you find with them and any outstanding things you have found?

Advertisement

Thanks!
    2012 - RCZ.
    1994 - 405 Mi16.
    1974 - Dnper 650 sidecar.
    1997 - Honda CBR1100XX Superblack bird.

When I was searching sub mini cars a few months I looked at the c3.

There are better cars for the money. This review pretty well sums it up IMO
    2014 Citroen C3 review | Exclusive 1.6 auto: Car Reviews- CarsGuide

If warranty is a key buying point Kia are now 7 years unlimited ks. But I was not fond of the fully electric steering among other things.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    When I was searching sub mini cars a few months I looked at the c3.

There are better cars for the money. This review pretty well sums it up IMO
    2014 Citroen C3 review | Exclusive 1.6 auto: Car Reviews- CarsGuide

If warranty is a key buying point Kia are now 7 years unlimited ks. But I was not fond of the fully electric steering among other things.
    That's a joke right .... surely there not still using that AL$ gearbox ..... 6year waranty ..... let me guess, the slugomatic will not be any part of this waranty ... and will be "normal wear and tear" when it fails again and again

I didn't even need to read it was 4spd.... just the journo saying "hunts between ratios" was enough... He means it picks the wrong gear at every single point in time right

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Which motor is she looking at?

The 1.6 88KW model is basically a scaled down current C4 with the same motor, suspension, etc, so C4 comments would also apply, though manuals aren't supplied any more with this motor, only the AL4 auto. The 1.6 is also used in some Minis.

The 1.6 C4 is a joy to drive and be driven in. The naturally aspirated motors don't have any of the hassles reported with the turbos. Four speed Siemens AL4s are well discussed here, and need a periodic fluid change. Most other makers are now using newer designs with more ratios.

I thought the review linked above was being precious about performance - 88 KW in a light car about town is more than adequate. MIL's not after a sports car. Electric powered hydraulic steering (of Jap manufacture) is everywhere now, and like all Citroens, this one is a bit isolated from road feel (though not as isolated as a C5). Again, it isn't a sports car - in a city runabout we want ease of driving, and that's what you get.

They are more comfortable than most of the opposition.

I was given a 1.6 old model C3 to take home while our Xantia's wheels were being balanced. I confess to having bad memories of the old C3 when we were looking at buying something when they came out. This car came with the request to try and find any fault you can with the AL4 box fitted. As a long time driver of AL4s I know their foibles, but this one refused to misbehave. I tried everything but the box worked faultlessly. The rest of the car was a welcome surprise too, very nice to drive and while not up to the standard of ride comfort I expect it was better than my Prius.

The only thing against the C3 in that test was the gearbox. Will people please stop maligning the poor old AL4. The new ones are much better than the old, all they need is proper maintenance. Is that really a problem. And complaining that they only have 4 speeds, come on that really is enough, but also it is inaccurate in that they have in effect 7 speeds with the lockup on 2,3 and 4.
    Jinandfonic and danielsydney like this.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Fellow Frogger

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    That's a joke right .... surely there not still using that AL$ gearbox ..... 6year waranty ..... let me guess, the slugomatic will not be any part of this waranty ... and will be "normal wear and tear" when it fails again and again

I didn't even need to read it was 4spd.... just the journo saying "hunts between ratios" was enough... He means it picks the wrong gear at every single point in time right

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Why would the warranty NOT cover gearbox issues? There would be age/distance limitations on some wearing parts like brake pads, clutches etc., but the gearbox is a fairly fundamental item. I very much doubt that it is excluded. They also offer some sort of deals on the service costs, so it is a fairly attractive deal.

As to the AL4 itself. The bad press, and there was a lot, typically has the most coverage, but there are cars with hundreds of thousands of km on original AL4 gearboxes that you never hear about. I've certainly driven plenty of earlier models from Xantia to C5 with some fairly suspect old AL4 gearboxes, but have also driven some of the later models which were really quite OK. I haven't driven the latest models with what is apparently an AL4 gearbox by another name, but there really wasn't a lot to complain about with the last one I drove a few years ago other than it's not the better 6 speed used with the larger models.

A negative attitude to any kind of automatic fails to recognise that most people effectively want an appliance. Perhaps, a stylish appliance, but an appliance nonetheless and preferably an automatic appliance.
    danielsydney likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Which motor is she looking at?

The 1.6 88KW model is basically a scaled down current C4 with the same motor, suspension, etc, so C4 comments would also apply, though manuals aren't supplied any more with this motor, only the AL4 auto. The 1.6 is also used in some Minis.

The 1.6 C4 is a joy to drive and be driven in. The naturally aspirated motors don't have any of the hassles reported with the turbos. Four speed Siemens AL4s are well discussed here, and need a periodic fluid change. Most other makers are now using newer designs with more ratios.

I thought the review linked above was being precious about performance - 88 KW in a light car about town is more than adequate. MIL's not after a sports car. Electric powered hydraulic steering (of Jap manufacture) is everywhere now, and like all Citroens, this one is a bit isolated from road feel (though not as isolated as a C5). Again, it isn't a sports car - in a city runabout we want ease of driving, and that's what you get.

They are more comfortable than most of the opposition.
    The OP asked for an opinion and there are better City runabouts for less money, a lot less money.

It ain't the motor so much are poor choice of gear ratios in the auto.

A manual could be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Why would the warranty NOT cover gearbox issues? There would be age/distance limitations on some wearing parts like brake pads, clutches etc., but the gearbox is a fairly fundamental item. I very much doubt that it is excluded. They also offer some sort of deals on the service costs, so it is a fairly attractive deal.

As to the AL4 itself. The bad press, and there was a lot, typically has the most coverage, but there are cars with hundreds of thousands of km on original AL4 gearboxes that you never hear about. I've certainly driven plenty of earlier models from Xantia to C5 with some fairly suspect old AL4 gearboxes, but have also driven some of the later models which were really quite OK. I haven't driven the latest models with what is apparently an AL4 gearbox by another name, but there really wasn't a lot to complain about with the last one I drove a few years ago other than it's not the better 6 speed used with the larger models.

A negative attitude to any kind of automatic fails to recognise that most people effectively want an appliance. Perhaps, a stylish appliance, but an appliance nonetheless and preferably an automatic appliance.
    Your probably right with everything you say... I personally wouldn't touch one with a barge pole though Why buy something that's known to be a problematic for almost decades ... when it can be avoided Have a read of the article again ...

Did you see his closing verdict

VERDICT

Like the looks, the features, the feel, the 'surprise' and the price. It's just that darned auto that cruels it.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Why buy something that's known to be a problematic for almost decades ... when it can be avoided
    Which is why I will never buy a new VW.

I am not sure what motor she is looking at. I hope it is the 88kw version. All though the extra fuel burn for the little power gain is hardly worth it. I did not know that they still made cars using a 4 speed auto and drum brakes these days..

There is cheaper options out there. But she is not a fan of Kia and Hyandai, and she said the Swift was ugly and beyond cheap interior wise. However it seems bit of a mixed bag about the new C3 from the replies so far
    2012 - RCZ.
    1994 - 405 Mi16.
    1974 - Dnper 650 sidecar.
    1997 - Honda CBR1100XX Superblack bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentia View Post

I am not sure what motor she is looking at. I hope it is the 88kw version. All though the extra fuel burn for the little power gain is hardly worth it. I did not know that they still made cars using a 4 speed auto and drum brakes these days..

There is cheaper options out there. But she is not a fan of Kia and Hyandai, and she said the Swift was ugly and beyond cheap interior wise. However it seems bit of a mixed bag about the new C3 from the replies so far
    The new Volkwagen based vehicles are fine. Five year roadside assist and unlimited ks warranty available if you pay around $1000 at time of purchase for the extra 2 years. Otherwise it's three year. Does that sound like a manufacturer that has issues with their vehicles?

Their DSG and engine issues are now well sorted. There was a recall on DSG firmware around 2011.

If you buy secondhand you need to be wary of DSG issues, especially the 7 speed in high performance 132kw/1.4 engines. Also the same engines prior 2012 had oil usage issues. Most were replaced/ upgraded under warranty by VW. These were fitted to the Polo GTI, Audi A1 and Skoda Fabia RS. Just to be complete any engine with CAV prefix is suspicious.

Some of early 6 speed DSG also had issues with dodgy shifting but mainly in the Golf GTI and Passat R36s.(V6)

The press mounted a hate campaign because of that very unfortunate fatal tail end accident involving a Golf on a Melbourne freeway. The allegation was loss of power, a sudden slowing from 100k- 50k(?)

FWIW the vehicle was a manual and the driver was talking on the mobile telephone. So clearly there is no possibility that the DSG caused the accident. Whether the car went in limp mode was determined by a Coroner's enquiry.

The coroner found that VW (Aust) were not implicated in any way.

However it very hard to undo negative press of which many competitive marques are very pleased about.

Ultimately the only way to decide what vehicle suits and appeals is to test drive all of them, create a short list and do some more driving.

Eventually you get down to two vehicles and often the price (or a few really convenient features) clinches the deal.

Everybody has an opinion and horror stories which in many cases can be dismissed with research.

I've just through the exercise of buying a new car.
    Last edited by robmac; 13th November 2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentia View Post

Why doesn't she just try one and see if she likes it If she gets a deisel version (that'll be way better IMO) she'll probably get the AM6 gearbox too

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Not that simple Shane. Sime Darby have shown what they think of Citroen sales levels by reducing the range of C3, C4 and C5. In the C3 you can have the small petrol motor in manual, or, the 1.6 petrol motor with 4 sp auto in 2 trim levels. That's it.

The C4 range now is a choice of 3, all 1.6 - an 88KW petrol in manual or auto, or an EGS diesel. They appear to be pushing the customers towards the DS range.

A shame, because asked to chose a C4 or a 308 with the same motor, I'd take the Citroen.

Has she looked at a Clio? They seem to be coming up trumps in their reviews. 89kw in the EDC, and they're a fair whack cheaper than the C3. Although they're also far more conventional, and the warranty is only 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    Has she looked at a Clio? They seem to be coming up trumps in their reviews. 89kw in the EDC, and they're a fair whack cheaper than the C3. Although they're also far more conventional, and the warranty is only 5 years.
    Yes, the Clio was on our list. Great drive, lovely snappy DSG. Absolutely nothing wrong with the vehicle dynamics.

The very poor view of the front (front of bonnet is invisible when parking) and limited rear driving vision was a negative.

As was the limited head room and the fact that getting in and out of the front required lots of bend and twisting.

Yes, the Clio was on our list. Great drive, lovely snappy DSG. Absolutely nothing wrong with the vehicle dynamics.

The very poor view of the front (front of bonnet is invisible when parking) and limited rear driving vision was a negative.

As was the limited head room and the fact that getting in and out of the front required lots of bend and twisting.
    Great, Citroen importers once again bring in only the models no-one would want.... What planet are they on?

I don't mind the EGS ... but resale is going to kill it .... 'cos it's not a proper manual, and it's not a proper automatic ... so will not be wanted by mainstream buyers at sale time.

My sister purchased one of the little 3cylinder turbo clios. Not my cuppa tea ( I like bigger cars with proper suspension and brakes), but a nice little car to drive. 5year warranty.

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Great, Citroen importers once again bring in only the models no-one would want.... What planet are they on?

I don't mind the EGS ... but resale is going to kill it .... 'cos it's not a proper manual, and it's not a proper automatic ... so will not be wanted by mainstream buyers at sale time.

My sister purchased one of the little 3cylinder turbo clios. Not my cuppa tea ( I like bigger cars with proper suspension and brakes), but a nice little car to drive. 5year warranty.

seeya,
    shane L.
    Shane,

Have you ever driven a high performance vehicle with a EDC/ DSG trans ?

I have. In fact I own one.

I use the sports mode when lazy ( edit## not around the City##). The paddle shift mode when you are serious is real hoot to drive. The shift time of 0.8 seconds leaves any auto and most manual gear changes for dead.

If you have a partner who only drives an auto it's the way to go. If you do lots of city driving it's way to go. If you want the best of worlds its the way to go.

The only minor downside is little bit of jerkiness in reverse and slow maneuvering. Easy to overlook because of the benefits.

Do yourself a favor and drive Clio Rs or VW GTI and find out for yourself.

The way of world is smaller more fuel efficient cars. EDC and DSG is one method of achieving fuel efficiency. Joe public just thinks of a DSG/EDC as an auto. Anyway most modern cars have a little more than a 10 year on-the-road life.

The reason we didn't buy a Megane was because of the "sluggomatic" in the standard range . We considered RS but it was too expensive, only manual and looked like an F1 car.
    Last edited by robmac; 13th November 2014 at 05:01 PM.

Shane,

Have you ever driven a high performance vehicle with a EDC/ DSG trans ?

I have. In fact I own one.

I use the sports mode when lazy. The paddle shift mode when you are serious is real hoot to drive. The shift time of 0.8 seconds leaves any auto and most manual gear changes for dead.

If you have a partner who only drives an auto it's the way to go. If you do lots of city driving it's way to go. If you want the best of worlds its the way to go.

The only minor downside is little bit of jerkiness in reverse and slow maneuvering. Easy to overlook because of the benefits.

Do yourself a favor and drive Clio Rs or VW GTI and find out for yourself.

The way of world is smaller more fuel efficient cars. EDC and DSG is one method of achieving fuel efficiency.

The reason we didn't buy a Megane was because of the "sluggomatic" in the standard range . We considered RS but it was too expensive, only manual and looked like an F1 car.
    Nah, the problem is they hold absolutely no interest for me .... If I had enough to buy one of them them .... I'd no doubt by some shitty classic car worth the same amount that would constantly break down My sisters little clio is a proper manual. It's only 900cc's from memory, but it's not a bad drive for a car with a tiny little turbo charged motor.

Modern junk for the wife to drive is really easy ..... you ask her what she wants and get that. That way when the tediously boring modern merde breaks, she can't blame you

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Nah, the problem is they hold absolutely no interest for me .... If I had enough to buy one of them them .... I'd no doubt by some shitty classic car worth the same amount that would constantly break down My sisters little clio is a proper manual. It's only 900cc's from memory, but it's not a bad drive for a car with a tiny little turbo charged motor.

Modern junk for the wife to drive is really easy ..... you ask her what she wants and get that. That way when the tediously boring modern merde breaks, she can't blame you

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I take your point. However , I would suggest you can't meaningfully pass judgement on "only the models no-one would want...." unless you have driven and assessed what is available.

I'm sure there come a time where you will buy a new car (modern junk?) and enjoy the reliability, 5 year warranty and 5 year roadside assist. Also the capped servicing. Plus, having much improved fuel efficiency (5.0 L/100km?) and all vehicle and occupant safety gear. Essentially pass the hassle of looking after the daily driverr to someone else for 5 years.
    It may just be a few years down the track....
    Whippet likes this.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    If she is peeved enough, she'll find a way
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

I commute in a 2010 DS3 1.6 AL4 auto, so in some ways the same vehicle. As yet no mechanical problems with the car @ approx 33000ks. Do have a recurring fault light on the ESP, but I think I've worked out that it's the way I pull on the handbrake at times affecting the yaw sensor. The AL4 shifts are annoying at times, but you can over-ride and manually up/downshift. I do it everyday on one stretch of road I drive where the car never uses the gear I want.
    If she is leasing I'd be carefully considering the end of lease figures. I'm very glad I didn't lease the DS3, as I would probably have been significantly out-of-pocket at the end of it's 3 years ownership. One of my co-workers had the misfortune of not wanting her Renault Megane at end of lease, and suffered the consequences financially of poor second-hand values.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

New Clio can be bought for 14990 - cracking little car with a bit of style!

5 year warranty makes it top buying. Don't discount the Fiesta - good cars they are : )
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

DS3 for sure, my better half had a c3 and was very happy the only problem was a crack in a spark plug and loved it that was until she saw the DS3 Cabrio so far we have had no issues with the ds3 apart from the dealer put standard engine oil in the engine I have no idea what STANDARD OIL IS however I made the dealer to take it out and replace the oil with the correct oil with TOTAL oil and wouldThe ds3 is a very good stable car and the lady of the house claims its the best so far, and would not part with it.

1000+ Posts

Did she drive the current C3 or the previous model? Mechanically the DS3 Style and the new C3 are similar.

Previous C3 for 4 years, as for the ds3 has features that the C3 did not have she likes the roof and other items road holding especially the esses wet roads are no problem, the 6 speed gear are no problems there have been several people commenting the likes of the car especially the roof and its features no doubt hyundai will jump on the band wagon and come up with resembles the ds3 cabrio we will stick with the DS3 regardless, as for cost they are expensive we traded the C5 hdi a very nice car but for 2 people we decided to download our cost was less than 15K for a brand new ds3.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by august moon View Post
    .....we will stick with the DS3 regardless, as for cost they are expensive we traded the C5 hdi a very nice car but for 2 people we decided to download our cost was less than 15K for a brand new ds3...
    Wow! Now THAT is high tech. You must have a hell of a 3D printer!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information