• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By ds21bvh

Thread: Kissed on the cheek

Fellow Frogger!

Default Kissed on the cheek

My Dspecial was kissed on the cheek by a mitsubishi trade ute yesterday...

Anyone know where I can source a front bumper and lower front panel?
    Also, does anyone have 'Steve auto body' (?) contact? I think he is down Dandenong way but I can't find any listing for him...

Advertisement

Sent from the future...

A front bumper is almost impossible to find - unless that's changed with the wave of people making reproductions. Sorry to hear about your fender-bender!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

The bumper's very fixable. You're not at fault?

Fellow Frogger!

Correct, I parked the car at the front of my house.
    He did a good job in collecting the front bumper and not touching the front guard!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

the bumper should come part into 3pieces, you should only need the one piece. Dunno about repairable. It is after all stainless steel. finding a rust free undertray will also be "not a lot of fun".

I'm not sure where to even look for the parts these days. Anyone with a spare, isn't going to part with it..... 'cos if they ever need it themselves they'll be in your position

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

I had very similar (although self-inflicted) damage to my D Special a year or so ago. I was told by numerous shops that it would be very difficult/impossible to repair, due to tearing and the apparent difficulty of welding of stainless steel (?). I was fortunate in sourcing a replacement from a fellow aussiefrogger, and can confirm that they are difficult to find.

I remain confident it's fixable, just it needs the touch of a restorer, not a panel swapper.
    DanielBendigo and CarNut like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes agreed addo, stainless can be worked and welded by the right hand, I know such a panel beater but at $75 an hr it may be econmical it find a right side replacement.

Sent via the future...

Hi Harley,

Where abouts are you...?
    There is a chance I "might" have something (need to have a look) if you have english bumpers.... but I suspect you have the French ones based on your valance type in the pics.

Cheers,

Mark...

JBN

There is a white D Special for sale on Gumtree - $4,000 or offer. What do you think your chances would be to get the tradies insurance to pay for that car. It includes a good front valance. The plus point would be that you would have many spares.

Just park your car in such a way that only those parts for which you have spares are exposed to possible damage.

John

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Hi Harley,

Where abouts are you...?
    There is a chance I "might" have something (need to have a look) if you have english bumpers.... but I suspect you have the French ones based on your valance type in the pics.

Cheers,

Mark...
    Given that it's last nose then it must be French built. Slough production stopped at the start of the third nose.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Given that it's last nose then it must be French built. Slough production stopped at the start of the third nose.
    Hi Craig,

This is new knowledge to me - so perhaps my terminology is confusing - I'm not sure how to correctly refer to the difference. I did not know the nature of the two types so recently put a call into Peter and Les (Gayndah) who set me straight...

It has nothing to do with where the cars were made.

The "English" type has a "cutout" in the lower sections of the bumper between the rubber buffers over the number plate - this type has the "short" joining piece in the centre (to join the left and right sections) and is coupled with a "flat" number plate valance. This was to meet UK number plate visibility requirements. It is also often associated with the Lucas rear lights and seems to be more common on Aussie cars from the 69-71 era. See below..

1968 Ds21 Safari Pallas Left Hand Drive 5 Speed Semi Auto Bleu Royal

The "French" type does not have the cutout and is associated with a curved front number plate valance. It has the "long" joiner piece in the middle.

THE STREET PEEP: 1970 Citroen DS 21 Special

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Mark...
    UFO likes this.

It is very possible to repair these Stainless Steel bumpers. You just need to find guys who weld up dairy/food equipment and if they are any good you will never find the welds.
    Best example, but a very nasty character, is my mates ex F-I-L. Would make various exhaust systems for his Harley just because he could and at last count had at least six distinct types.....all of them flawless. The Hog was beige but no-body, repeat no-body, tried to take the p15s from the President of this Outlaw Motor Cycle Gang about it's colour.
    Brendan.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    It is very possible to repair these Stainless Steel bumpers. You just need to find guys who weld up dairy/food equipment and if they are any good you will never find the weld.
    Best example, but a very nasty character, is my mates ex F-I-L. Would make various exhaust systems for his Harley just because he could and at last count had at least six distinct types.....all of them flawless. The Hog was beige but no-body, repeat no-body, tried to take the p15s from the President of this Outlaw Motor Cycle Gang about it's colour.
    Brendan.
    I understood the first two sentences, but it went south from there. Even google looked at me funny...

Sent via the future...

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the responses guys.
    Mark I'm in Melbourne, I make semi regular drives to Sydney/Canberra, I'll be up there at the end of the month.
    I needed to get the feelers out about the front bumper, I have lodged a claim with my insurance and will wait to see the verdict.

Harley

Sent via the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    Mark I'm in Melbourne, I make semi regular drives to Sydney/Canberra, I'll be up there at the end of the month.
    I needed to get the feelers out about the front bumper, I have lodged a claim with my insurance and will wait to see the verdict.
    Harley
    Sent via the future...
    Hi Harley,

You might like to just find out what bumper type you have....? The possibility (from me) exists only for the english type... The reason I'm hesitant is I went through all my french bumpers thinking I'd have at least one or two for the 71 (and my longer term ID20) - nope... there was an issue with every one... so I'm looking for french bumpers myself.

Happy to go through the english ones but I suspect the same could happen...!

Cheers,

Mark...

Thread Information