D Series cars: Where are they now?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kenlin

Thread: D Series cars: Where are they now?

Default D Series cars: Where are they now?

Collectors of D series Citroens are often interested in the history of the car they are working on.

This thread is an attempt to address the question from the other direction. I have managed to find some info on a few cars we owned in the '70s and '80s and offer these details to any one who may happen to own one (or more) of these cars now.

1. Sold new in January 1966, this Heidelberg ID19 was Lido Blue white a white turret. Registration number then was DZL 984. Engine number was 193014091. Its early years were in in rural areas of south-west and later north-western NSW.

2. Bought by the first owner on 9 June 1970 was this White D Special, with black Targa upholstery. Engine number was 559015205, registration BEB 103. Its first two years were on the lower north shore of Sydney with commutes to the inner city. Later it worked harder in country areas of northern NSW.

3. Engine number 559012451, registration BBB 536 was a D Special sold on 5 August 1970 spent the first 10 years or so in western Sydney but with lots of long distance rural travel. It was a striking deep maroon (Bordeaux) colour with white turret and tan Targa upholstery.

4. Engine Number 652008475 experienced many number plate changes in its early life. It was a white D Special with deep green velour upholstery and was sold on 26 May 1972, spending its first 2 years in the inner city. Later, it spent many years in the Central West of NSW where it may possibly have "retired".

Anyone recognising any of these snippets of Citroen history is welcome to anything else I can share with them about their car.

Advertisement

Happy motoring!

Ken
    brycedunn likes this.

Default D Series cars: Where are they now?

Haven't found one of those old Ds or their engines yet.

It would be interesting to see how the years have treated them.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kenlin View Post
    Collectors of D series Citroens are often interested in the history of the car they are working on.

This thread is an attempt to address the question from the other direction. I have managed to find some info on a few cars we owned in the '70s and '80s and offer these details to any one who may happen to own one (or more) of these cars now.

1. Sold new in January 1966, this Heidelberg ID19 was Lido Blue white a white turret. Registration number then was DZL 984. Engine number was 193014091. Its early years were in in rural areas of south-west and later north-western NSW.

2. Bought by the first owner on 9 June 1970 was this White D Special, with black Targa upholstery. Engine number was 559015205, registration BEB 103. Its first two years were on the lower north shore of Sydney with commutes to the inner city. Later it worked harder in country areas of northern NSW.

3. Engine number 559012451, registration BBB 536 was a D Special sold on 5 August 1970 spent the first 10 years or so in western Sydney but with lots of long distance rural travel. It was a striking deep maroon (Bordeaux) colour with white turret and tan Targa upholstery.

4. Engine Number 652008475 experienced many number plate changes in its early life. It was a white D Special with deep green velour upholstery and was sold on 26 May 1972, spending its first 2 years in the inner city. Later, it spent many years in the Central West of NSW where it may possibly have "retired".

Anyone recognising any of these snippets of Citroen history is welcome to anything else I can share with them about their car.

Happy motoring!

Ken

Fellow Frogger

Chassis numbers may be more useful Ken.

I can tell you what happened to these, assuming I have recorded them correctly:
    00FC0196 D Specials
    08FD1638
    05FD8026
    05FD2896
    08FD1594
    00FC0192
    10FD7107

3874807 ID20/Supers

3787654 ID19Bs
    Last edited by David S; 19th November 2014 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks David. Chassis numbers certainly a good idea. Unfortunately, we did not have the foresight to record those back then.

Getting a match with one of these cars these days would certainly be a long shot. But, it sometimes happens.

Cheers

Ken

I missed out by one serial number didn't I Ken?

Default D Series cars: where are they now?

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    I missed out by one serial number didn't I Ken?
    Yes, what are the chances of missing out by one engine number?? Engine numbers can help a little in dating your car, though cars were not always sold in engine number order in those days.

Are you still coming to Sydney over Christmas, Steve?

Ken

Thread Information