Anyone had any success tracing the history of your cars?
  • Help

Default Anyone had any success tracing the history of your cars?

I'm curious how many here have ever attempted to trace the history of your cars if you don't already have it?

Advertisement

I've been surprised how much information I have been able to find on all my cars starting with very little. Prior to today, the DS was the odd man out as I had very little, but I just got off the phone from a conversation with a previous owner of my car (from about 1986 to around 2000) and had a really nice chat about the car and how much she loved it and was sorry to see it go. Everyone I have spoken to for all my cars has been very happy to talk and in most cases really happy to hear that the car they once owned is still being looked after and on the road. I've even had a few people send me family photos that included the car and it's owners at the time - one from the 70s for my Mercedes and one in the 80s for the DS. Generally I find that a nice letter or if you don't have a mailing address an email to start with is well received. I've learned so many interesting stories about all my cars this way.

So far I know, that by 1986, my car was in Adelaide had been painted red and somewhat renewed/restored and sold to nice lady I was just talking to (for reasons of privacy I won't reveal her name). It was her only car until almost 2000 starting in Adelaide and then later Sydney. Unfortunately by 2000 it had some mechanical problems and rust around the boot and doors. It was then sold for $500 to a man in Alstonville, NSW (near Balina) who had it for a while and then sold it to the man I purchased it from on the Sunshine coast, QLD, who fixed the rust in the doors. I still need to trace the owner before the man I purchased it from, I have a name, so this should be possible. Original owner is probably much harder, but you never know.
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

UFO

I think I have the receipt for the original sale of my D and rego papers. It still has a Manly Warringah Shire parking permit on (probably) the original windscreen too (must replace the screen real soon...)

I also have wads of info from the second owner who passed it all on to me when I bought it.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Great to have all that history. Warringah council dropped shire from the name in 1993, so that sticker has been on there a while!
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

Thread Information