CV joints CX
  • Help

Thread: CV joints CX

Default CV joints CX

Who has had experience with replacement/repair. Advice please.

Advertisement

mine has just started making noise, hard left turn.

When I bought the car the boots were held on with plastic zip ties, so these were replaced with the proper clamps, but I think exposure to contamination was already done.

cxbasis is selling entire drive shafts set. But surely I can just replace the CV joint and keep the existing drive shafts?
    CV joints CX-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CV joints CX-image.jpg  

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

Amusingly, I was looking at the website of a chap calling himself "Ted" only last night, in which he goes through the kitting of CX drive shafts.

It's my understanding the clicking usually originates in the outer CV, whereupon the hub side and balls/cage are renewed, while wear to the inner CV is manifested in vibrations.

Triaxes seem to be almost a closed shop, the only ones I have seen on the open market are for Fiat stable cars.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Amusingly, I was looking at the website of a chap calling himself "Ted" only last night, in which he goes through the kitting of CX drive shafts.

It's my understanding the clicking usually originates in the outer CV, whereupon the hub side and balls/cage are renewed, while wear to the inner CV is manifested in vibrations.

Triaxes seem to be almost a closed shop, the only ones I have seen on the open market are for Fiat stable cars.
    Hi Adrian,

Recently had a passenger side drive shaft rebuilt by Hardy Spicer- at a cost...

The inter joint was completely stuffed - deep divots in the cup plus a bush out of one of the balls ground to a paste. Failure was due to lack of grease thanks to an "expert" who had the engine out and split the inner joint and did not re-grease on re-assembly but I digress.

After it got back I ask the local agent what had been done. Apparently the inner cup was repair by welding and the triaxle re-machined. The outer joint had been cleaned and oversize balls fitted.

Anyway, the long and short of it is now tight and smooth and working as it should.

It is an easy exercise to remove the shaft and tap off the outer joint. So the cheap and cheery solution may be just to replace the outer joint with a good second hand one.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Pretty sure they are the same as a Chrysler K car. Take apart a K car and you will find chevrons on the axles. Might be worth a little research time.

Doing the Daffy Duck dance with the AussieFrogs app and a cane.

Quote Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
    Pretty sure they are the same as a Chrysler K car. Take apart a K car and you will find chevrons on the axles. Might be worth a little research time.

Doing the Daffy Duck dance with the AussieFrogs app and a cane.
    That must be a 'WOW!' I guess. It wasn't the best of times for US car styling...... If the CX shafts were the right dimensions (accident or design I wonder) I presume it was because they didn't have time or money to tool up to make them? Nice earner for PSA.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

I had the joints overhauled by a local mob who were supposedly very good. They were shocking, I had to get them taken out again and they were redone. Still not 100% perfect but they have now bedded in to the point they feel perfect. I looked at CX Basis for a long time but the price, especially with postage charges were a bit high. They would want to be perfect in every way for the money. Then I kept thinking, surely we can overhaul drive shafts in this country to as high a standard as the Germans. Therefore I think if you take the shafts to a competent outfit to overhaul them, and get a guarantee on them you should be OK. Don't be afraid to get them done again if you have to, a CX is very sensitive to drive shaft imperfections.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Make sure you get a pair with ABS rings. Weren't they going through quite cheaply on ebay UK for quite a while
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Feb 85 build pre ABS.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988