CX wiper washer
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CX wiper washer

Default CX wiper washer

Was wondering if anyone knows a fix for water leaking from the wiper spray bar onto the screen? Seems to happen when driving fast around corners and roundabouts, water dribbles out, I guess due to a surge up the supply tube caused by the movement of cornering.

Advertisement
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Is it the original pump. That has a filter on the inlet which keeps it under control. I know because it started happening more when it fell out. I replaced the pump many years ago with a pump that fits into the side of the tank. I have a loop in the feed tube but can't get a compromise where it will wash properly but not leak onto the screen. My solution is find a solenoid valve that will work with water and wire that in parallel with the pump. Find being the operative word.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

I thinks it's the original pump, will have a look for the filter. Starting to think maybe something like a small fuel filter in line would buffer things so water was less inclined to push through the hose due to the car moving around, unless the pump is on.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Fellow Frogger!

This is a bit left field but...

Most washer pumps are an impeller pump - spinning vanes thrust the water up the outlet tube.

I once had an orphan import 1974 Simca 1100 (hence my ID) and it had a different type of pump - it had the usual small motor, driving a reduction gear with three lobes at the end and a roller at each lobe. The lobes pressed against a rubber hose, and the housing it all was in was shaped so that as the rollers rotated against the rubber tube, they pressed the tube against the wall of the housing. The shape and function was vaguely like a rotor moving in a Wankel rotary engine.
    The difference is at any point in the cycle, at least one of the rollers is pinching the rubber tube shut. So, unlike a conventional impeller pump, there is never an open tube from the washer bottle to the spray nozzle - so it can't flow unless the pump is running.

If you could track down one of these weirdo pumps, it would fix your problem.

i vaguely recall that type of pump also being on another French car I have owned - R18? R20? R18 headlight washer?

good luck with the search.

Quote Originally Posted by marc61 View Post
    Was wondering if anyone knows a fix for water leaking from the wiper spray bar onto the screen? Seems to happen when driving fast around corners and roundabouts, water dribbles out, I guess due to a surge up the supply tube caused by the movement of cornering.
    Yup, mine does that.... As did the BX.

I'll watch the answers with interest - I've no idea how to stop it.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by simca1100 View Post

Most washer pumps are an impeller pump - spinning vanes thrust the water up the outlet tube.

I once had an orphan import 1974 Simca 1100 (hence my ID) and it had a different type of pump - it had the usual small motor, driving a reduction gear with three lobes at the end and a roller at each lobe. The lobes pressed against a rubber hose, and the housing it all was in was shaped so that as the rollers rotated against the rubber tube, they pressed the tube against the wall of the housing. The shape and function was vaguely like a rotor moving in a Wankel rotary engine.
    The difference is at any point in the cycle, at least one of the rollers is pinching the rubber tube shut. So, unlike a conventional impeller pump, there is never an open tube from the washer bottle to the spray nozzle - so it can't flow unless the pump is running.

i vaguely recall that type of pump also being on another French car I have owned - R18? R20? R18 headlight washer?

I vaguely recall that being a "peristaltic pump", used a lot medically as you separate seals, impellers etc, all sources of contamination, from the fluid. Good idea - essentially they are positive displacement pumps. In turn, THAT method of pumping means a blockage will cause a joint to blow apart somewhere or other, presumably somewhere really inaccessible....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

Quote Originally Posted by simca1100 View Post

Thanks, thats a good idea. There's a good description of that type of pump on Wikipedia http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump .

I had a look on eBay and there are lots of very small 12V ones but they flow very little, too little I think.

Think I'll experiment with extending the hose and putting a big U bend in it, see if that makes any difference.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by marc61 View Post
    Thanks, thats a good idea. There's a good description of that type of pump on Wikipedia Peristaltic pump - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

I had a look on eBay and there are lots of very small 12V ones but they flow very little, too little I think.

Think I'll experiment with extending the hose and putting a big U bend in it, see if that makes any difference.
    Doesn't need much. I'd guess about three egg cupsful per minute. Have a go at measuring what yours delivers.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)

I have a solution - AT LAST !!!!!!

The washer pump gave up years ago so it has a new washer pump that you fit by cutting a hole near the bottom of the tank fitting the pump inlet into it and do up a nut on the inside which seals it all up. Easy and no leaks at the tank. But this baby can shift water! Just about lifts the the wiper off the glass when you pull back to engage wash. Trouble is there is no resistance to water flowing out so if nothing is done right hand corners have water leaking onto the screen. I started with forming a loop in the line and trying to get a compromise of no leaks and reasonable wash performance. It is not possible and I have been trying for about 6 years. So I went into the local car parts place and asked if they had anything. I was thinking of a solenoid valve that would shut the line and only open it when power was applied to the pump. They looked at me as if I was nuts (probably accurate) and offered me this one way valve for $3.50 as the only thing they had for windscreen washer systems. I thought can't loose so took it home and fitted it. There has been no leaks but this afternoon we went for a Prestigious drive and I purposely washed the screen just before a set of tightish corners came up. Now after the water on the arm had blown off there were NO leaks. Repeat NO leaks no matter how quickly the corners were taken. The wash performance is still very good so all in all success

https://niceproducts.com.au/product/...-washer-valve/
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thread Information