wiring warning lamps for indicators
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: wiring warning lamps for indicators

Default wiring warning lamps for indicators

wiring warning lamps for indicators-img_2334.jpgwiring warning lamps for indicators-img_2335.jpgwiring warning lamps for indicators-img_2340.jpg

Me again. This time I need help regarding green warning lamps for direction indicators. Both lights flashing when either side indicators are turned on. Three pin relay for indicators appears to be non original and is working fine.
    I'm not an auto electrician expert but wiring on multi pin connector where the brown wire feed on the left side should be operating left warning lamp and should be another feed to the right operating right lamp. Brown wire is coming from the harness and appears to be original. Not shore if someone mess up with this or me just miss something when reconnecting wiring. Also I should mention I don't have hazard lights installed.

Advertisement
    Attached Files Attached Files

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Challenge accepted.

That brown wire leading into the plug does not look original. It would be if your car were a '69- obviously yours isn't. What should be in that plug are taps leading from the turn signal switch wiring, from inside the harness. IIRC, the wire itself will be green. The sleeve colors are yellow (left) and green (right). The color sleeves at the turn switch are the same.

See if you can crane your head into a position to look at the wiring from the instrument cluster. I bet you'll find the original wires, or what's left of them. That brown wire will come out, or at least get taped up and set aside. Wire jumpers like that are non-extant on a D.

If you don't find evidence of a pair of wires, no sweat- this is very easy to set up.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

wiring warning lamps for indicators-img_2343.jpg
    This is where the fun begins. Located yellow and green sleeved wires from turn signal switch. I checked them and they operate correct side signals. However there is no sign of any spare wires hanging around.
    I guess they would have to be with blade female connector yellow and green sleeved to go into the multi pin connector.
    I forgot to mention it is D Special 1974 model.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adjole View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2343.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	61859
    This is where the fun begins. Located yellow and green sleeved wires from turn signal switch. I checked them and they operate correct side signals. However there is no sign of any spare wires hanging around.
    I guess they would have to be with blade female connector yellow and green sleeved to go into the multi pin connector.
    I forgot to mention it is D Special 1974 model.
    OK- second try. My computer decided to puke all over itself again.

The cars 70-75 were fairly consistent electric-wise.

Yah- there would have been the 6.3mm spades w/lock tangs for that. The fix to give you separated turn indicators will be pretty easy.

The first thing to do is get a pair of jumper wires from the turn switch to that white connector. You can do this in two different ways:
    1) You need two lengths of .8mm wire. Say, 400mm each will give you lots of working room. At the harness side of the switch wiring, splice in the wires on each the green and the yellow leads. Route these through the pod and to the white connector. At the white connector, you're going to cut the brown wire like so: Where the two wires are in one connection cut the looped wire away from the main wire. You are going to use this for one side of the connection. The other wire from the switch will connect to the longer of the two brown wires. In other words, you're using the 6.3mm spades already in place to make your connections. Make sure you get left and right in the correct spots before you finish splicing. Ensure you either remove the brown wire from the flasher can (insulate that terminal) or insulate and tuck away the remainder of that brown wire so it doesn't go to ground.

2) Very much the same as 1, except instead of splicing directly to the switch wiring, you make an insert jumper for each side. You'll need the same 400mm of wire, plus a 4mm female end and a 4mm male end, each with a short length of 1.0mm wire attached. Splice a male to the female. At that splice, add your .8mm wire. You can solder and insulate (my choice) or you can use a blue butt splice (there is room enough in the splice). This reduces the amount of cutting and splicing you need to do on the harness. This also has the added advantage of, if you want to, you can add an additional 4mm female end w/1.0 wire to each for easy setup of hazard flashers.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Thanks for your instructions. I think this would be quite easy to sort out coming weekend.
    Interesting...today I bumped in to another D Special with the same set up accept it had aftermarket hazard lights. I wonder if the separated warning lights come as an option back in those days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2334.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	61845Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2335.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	61846Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2340.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	61847

Me again. This time I need help regarding green warning lamps for direction indicators. Both lights flashing when either side indicators are turned on. Three pin relay for indicators appears to be non original and is working fine.
    I'm not an auto electrician expert but wiring on multi pin connector where the brown wire feed on the left side should be operating left warning lamp and should be another feed to the right operating right lamp. Brown wire is coming from the harness and appears to be original. Not shore if someone mess up with this or me just miss something when reconnecting wiring. Also I should mention I don't have hazard lights installed.

Don't all three dial DS's do this. All of mine had both green lights flash when either indicator was on. Weird I know but true. So there is nothing wrong.
    cheers Tony

Weird and mysterious Tony. Maybe something to do with RHD version cars. In DS Handbook sad:
    "E-Green Light for right hand indicator
    F-Green Light for left hand indicator
    If they don't function, check the corresponding indicator"

Then again it's a Citroen. Wouldn't it be weird to have separated left and right indicator lights

Quote Originally Posted by deesse View Post
    Don't all three dial DS's do this. All of mine had both green lights flash when either indicator was on. Weird I know but true. So there is nothing wrong.
    cheers Tony
    My 72 DS21 flashes each side independently whereas the 74 DS23 doesn't.

I'm not sure if this is a 72 peculiarity or perhaps a previous owner has done some fettling?
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Then again it's a Citroen. Wouldn't it be weird to have separated left and right indicator lights
    Based on cars I have driven, what I have observed is that early 3 dial cars light up individually, late 3 dial cars light up together. Not sure of the date of the change. My 1970 is individual, as was a 71 I saw. 74 and 75 cars i have driven are together. So change is probably in 72 or 73.
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

Looking at boyracer's post we can add 72 to separate, so looks like the change was made either in 73 or 74. Anybody have a 1973 car?
    --
    1954 Light 15
    1970 DS21 BVH
    http://www.classicjalopy.com

UFO

My D Special flashes both indicator lights. I like it like that - an unknowing passenger who notices will say "No I said right, not left..."
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

My 72 D Special lights up one at a time (if that helps)

Fellow Frogger!

It's a 70's French car.

Wasn't it standard practice to ensure that no two cars were wired exactly the same?

I suppose it depends if your car had its dash assembled by Pierre or Frederic..

Thread Information