Another French Ambassador's DS for sale..........
  • Help
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Another French Ambassador's DS for sale..........

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default Another French Ambassador's DS for sale..........

Don't mean to be a killjoy, but something really gets up my nose.......

It's when DS's are for sale with a supposedly glamourous history. I went down that road before with my own DS23 which was purported to have been General De Gaulle's car when he visited Australia. Come on , pull the other one.
    I had to fight long and hard battles with some in the Sydney community who swore the car was indeed the General's car. Until I made them aware De Gaulle died in 1970, but my car was manufactured in 1974..... No one had bothered checking that.

Now it's on again with the "French Ambassador's car" own DS that is for sale.

Advertisement

Once again it's too bad my Mum was working at the Embassy in Canberra from 1970 till 1979, and I knew by heart most of the vehicles there. All the official Embassy cars were Peugeots. Dark blue Peugeots for that matter. With a little flag holder included.
    Never ever seen an Ambassador's purple DS there...
    I guess you could claim an Ambassador could have sneaked one in whilst I was not looking. But my guess is it would then have been a French car and not RHD. In Canberra all the European Embassies were allowed to drive in lHD cars, and the staff personal imports were LHD. Askme how I know? Even my white 2cv was LHD.

So if interested in that DS, don't believe the hype
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 10th October 2014 at 09:49 PM.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Peugeot Boxer Van hired from T.....y, that was manual!
    and bloody good too!

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

I had to fight long and hard battles with some in the Sydney community who swore the car was indeed the General's car. Until I made them aware De Gaulle died in 1970, but my car was manufactured in 1974.....
    No one had bothered checking that.

C'mon, Phil, surely you know that with all the other lore that surrounds the General, he was also a time traveller.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post

C'mon, Phil, surely you know that with all the other lore that surrounds the General, he was also a time traveller.
    Ohhh, that's right, now I remember, they shot at his time capsule, but he survived because of the kinematic suspension system!

and bloody good too!

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry Harrison but not all French Embassy imports were LHD. We have a 403 Panel Van in the family that was imported by and used by the French Embassy as a delivery run-around vehicle from 1958 until the late 60's. It was found at the back of a wrecking yard in Queanbeyan in the early 1970's and it was always RHD. I seem to remember, Nick, an ex-president of the PCC ACT, driving a white 309 (?) S/W that was a French Embassy vehicle and also RHD.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post
    Sorry Harrison but not all French Embassy imports were LHD. We have a 403 Panel Van in the family that was imported by and used by the French Embassy as a delivery run-around vehicle from 1958 until the late 60's. It was found at the back of a wrecking yard in Queanbeyan in the early 1970's and it was always RHD. I seem to remember, Nick, an ex-president of the PCC ACT, driving a white 309 (?) S/W that was a French Embassy vehicle and also RHD.
    Heeee,Hoooo!! Hold your Chevaux for a minute. I don't deny the Embassy may have had a service vehicle that was RHD, I'm talking here about the Ambassador's car - because the seller on carsales says it is -
    Although I was there since early 1970 and I can't remember an old '58 panelvan doing deliveries for the Embassy. Also what would they deliver in a panel van? Nuclear test leftovers?

and bloody good too!

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Also what would they deliver in a panel van? Nuclear test leftovers?
    The bombs for the divers under diplomatic immunity..... ....err....hmmm..... wrong country
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Fellow Frogger!

I don't know about nuke stuff but those who drove it when it was at the Embassy said it had a reasonable easy life as was used mainly for shopping and picking up any parcels, etc. It is doubtful that it was used by the President or the Ambassador or that they even drove in it but it was definitely a French Embassy vehicle.

The deal with Embassy vehicles then was that once the vehicles "they" imported were no longer required by the Embassy the vehicle had to be re-exported or wrecked which is why it was found in the wrecking yard when the yard was purchased by Pated Industries. Pated ran the Queanbeyan Total Service Station at the time and the yard came with the service station.

Pated expanded their horizons and opened Canberra's first commercial wine shop in Fyshwick (where MB Spares are now) and they recommisioned the van and it ran between Debortolis winery in Griffith/Leeton once or twice a week loaded with large plastic bags of wine, and often towing a trailer loaded with same, to sell in bulk back in Canberra; it was a 1 gallon licence bring your own container. They found a loophole in the ACT rego rules which stated that if a vehicle had been registered in Canberra before - even if it was a model not sold in Australia - it could be registered again. The van was replaced with a 403 S/W fitted with a 203 block with 404 bore and the van then became Lew's work van at the Total Service Station and then RenRepair Motors when they moved to Bayldon Road in Queanbeyan. When the RenRepair partnership was dissolved Lew and Carolyn bought the van from the company and it is now owned and driven by Lew's sons Bob and John.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Car 76 View Post
    I don't know about nuke stuff but those who drove it when it was at the Embassy said it had a reasonable easy life as was used mainly for shopping and picking up any parcels, etc. It is doubtful that it was used by the President or the Ambassador or that they even drove in it but it was definitely a French Embassy vehicle.

The deal with Embassy vehicles then was that once the vehicles "they" imported were no longer required by the Embassy the vehicle had to be re-exported or wrecked which is why it was found in the wrecking yard when the yard was purchased by Pated Industries. Pated ran the Queanbeyan Total Service Station at the time and the yard came with the service station.

Pated expanded their horizons and opened Canberra's first commercial wine shop in Fyshwick (where MB Spares are now) and they recommisioned the van and it ran between Debortolis winery in Griffith/Leeton once or twice a week loaded with large plastic bags of wine, and often towing a trailer loaded with same, to sell in bulk back in Canberra; it was a 1 gallon licence bring your own container. They found a loophole in the ACT rego rules which stated that if a vehicle had been registered in Canberra before - even if it was a model not sold in Australia - it could be registered again. The van was replaced with a 403 S/W fitted with a 203 block with 404 bore and the van then became Lew's work van at the Total Service Station and then RenRepair Motors when they moved to Bayldon Road in Queanbeyan. When the RenRepair partnership was dissolved Lew and Carolyn bought the van from the company and it is now owned and driven by Lew's sons Bob and John.
    Great stuff. This is the stuff I like , when it is factual and backed up with interesting information, observed by someone who was there.
    Whilst the DS advertised as being the "Ambassadors car" is straight out of someone's imagination.

Hey Flash, I've tried before to find someone on here who remembered Jim Prendergast ,the Citroen serviceman who was in Fyshwick and later moved to Queanbeyan, can you remember him at all?

and bloody good too!

Fellow Frogger!

i do remember him but I reckon it would be at least 18 to 20 years (maybe more) since I last had anything to do with him. A friend had a gold coloured 5 speed manual DS23 that he bought from Jim and restored. The car was later sold to a bloke I worked with at BMR but he went back to England and I have no idea where the car ended up, maybe he took it back with him.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post

At least that had the late General associated with a late (1974) DS. If he died before the car was built, it leads credence to any claims of low kilometres, rarely used. If the tyres were shot, I would say it was genuine.

John

Well no doubt the seller Gary will have Original owners documentation to prove his statement? Otherwise it makes him look like a liar. I'm put off by liars. What other untruths are going to be spun?

It's Irrelevant who owned the car, it adds no additional value in my opinion. What is important is its current condition and the history of how it's been maintained.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

come off it they were all owned by DC staffers, every last one of them!

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by IE23 View Post
    Well no doubt the seller Gary will have Original owners documentation to prove his statement? Otherwise it makes him look like a liar. I'm put off by liars. What other untruths are going to be spun?

It's Irrelevant who owned the car, it adds no additional value in my opinion. What is important is its current condition and the history of how it's been maintained.
    Its amazing what some people have de gall to say when it comes to selling a car.

At least he is properly credentialled to go into politics.

John

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Don't mean to be a killjoy, but something really gets up my nose.......

It's when DS's are for sale with a supposedly glamourous history. I went down that road before with my own DS23 which was purported to have been General De Gaulle's car when he visited Australia. Come on , pull the other one.
    I had to fight long and hard battles with some in the Sydney community who swore the car was indeed the General's car. Until I made them aware De Gaulle died in 1970, but my car was manufactured in 1974..... No one had bothered checking that.

Now it's on again with the "French Ambassador's car" own DS that is for sale.

Once again it's too bad my Mum was working at the Embassy in Canberra from 1970 till 1979, and I knew by heart most of the vehicles there. All the official Embassy cars were Peugeots. Dark blue Peugeots for that matter. With a little flag holder included.
    Never ever seen an Ambassador's purple DS there...
    I guess you could claim an Ambassador could have sneaked one in whilst I was not looking. But my guess is it would then have been a French car and not RHD. In Canberra all the European Embassies were allowed to drive in lHD cars, and the staff personal imports were LHD. Askme how I know? Even my white 2cv was LHD.

So if interested in that DS, don't believe the hype

I'm not sure this is a fair comparison. One would have to be really loopy to entertain the De Gaulle story at 100 paces (for reasons even more obvious than the build date!), but the same can't be said for the offering of the Adelaide car. I'm assuming none of these nasturtiums arise from any contact or verification with the seller? When your selling such a nice car, you must be a bit of an enthusiast, and, really, I don't think you'd bother making stuff up. I don't know the current owner, but a previous owner of that car is an Aussie doyen of the marque and certainly not predisposed to fibs. For interest, here's another DS with authentic French Ambassador heritage: My Citroen 1973 DS23 Pallas Prestige: Car News- CarsGuide.

Best,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    I'm not sure this is a fair comparison. One would have to be really loopy to entertain the De Gaulle story at 100 paces (for reasons even more obvious than the build date!), but the same can't be said for the offering of the Adelaide car. I'm assuming none of these nasturtiums arise from any contact or verification with the seller? When your selling such a nice car, you must be a bit of an enthusiast, and, really, I don't think you'd bother making stuff up. I don't know the current owner, but a previous owner of that car is an Aussie doyen of the marque and certainly not predisposed to fibs. For interest, here's another DS with authentic French Ambassador heritage: My Citroen 1973 DS23 Pallas Prestige: Car News- CarsGuide.

Best,

Tim
    Well, of course this was not a comparison. It was to illustrate that a lot of those stories do not add up when confronted with the simplest of checks. And it appears you are casting nasturtiums my way instead. I am offering facts to prove that this DS cannot be a French Embassy DS.

Please don't get me wrong but you prove my point exactly when linking to the ad for the other "Ambassador's DS", it so happens that this one was imported for the "Ambassador" in 73 , then he supposedly left , then the other "Ambassador" specially imported his one in '74. But it so happens that between 1971 and 1975 there was only one Ambassador: Mr Gabriel Van Laethem

As I say, and you don't have to believe it of course, but between 1970 and 1979, I was a resident of Canberra, a French citizen, my mother was employed there in the Press and Information service of the Embassy. I often went to do's or picnics with some staff members, went fishing to Bateman'Bay with the military attachť -in his Dark blue Peugeot - but never ever seen a Citroen DS at the Embassy. The only Citroen dealer at the time was Jim Prendergast in Fyshwick and he surely wasn't servicing the Embassy's DS because he would've told me about it. So unless the Ambassador did his own oil changes in the carpark, it wasn't serviced either.

From the 2 supposedly embassy DS's - there maybe claims to some other - I would pick the one from Alec Lowe as being genuine, being LHD and the right specs, but even that deserves proof.

You have to understand that the French diplomatic service was and still is pretty staid and likes to adhere to some bureaucratic rules. ie if a car was to be imported specially for the Ambassador, it would be coming from France as a matter of principle and therefore a LHD and certainly not burgundy in colour. It would be either black or Bleu Marine. You cannot depart from those facts, and anyone who thinks different is going down the wrong road. Just Sharing the knowledge.
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 12th October 2014 at 04:08 PM.

and bloody good too!

One question ??
    How many bvh 5 speeds are there in aus?
    from 74?
    agree colour is awful
    mike
    Mike Holt
    C5/C6/XM/DS21
    prev CX /Xantias

UFO

If there are any BVH five speeds in Australia, then they have the Harry Limmens 'box installed. Any 1974 BVH four speed in Aus would be a private import as BVHs were banned from sale in Aus in about 1972 (?) as the BVH 'box does not have a parking pawl.
    Via the aussiefrogs App
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

One of the French ones had a parking paul, otherwise known as Anka.
    enjoy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl0PTa2wm6A
    but then he is probably better known for his immortalisation of the 2CV Dyana
    Last edited by gerry freed; 13th October 2014 at 11:07 PM.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    One of the French ones had a parking paul, otherwise known as Anka.
    enjoy
    Paul Anka "Les Filles De Paris sont les plus jolies." - YouTube
    but then he is probably better known for his immortalisation of the 2CV Dyana
    OOh that hurts
    Peter
    1950 11BL
    1970 AZUA "La Poste" van
    1986 2CV Dolly (red and white)
    2004 C5 HDi silver 2.0L

Thread Information