Replacing front suspension bushes procedure - C5 2003
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Replacing front suspension bushes procedure - C5 2003

So while doing some googling, I came across this video.

Xantia replace front wishbone suspension arm bush - YouTube

Advertisement

Although for a Xantia, I've read in these forums that the procedure should be pretty much the same. Would this work? I'll have the Haynes book on hand as well when doing this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by garethb View Post
    So while doing some googling, I came across this video.

Xantia replace front wishbone suspension arm bush - YouTube

Although for a Xantia, I've read in these forums that the procedure should be pretty much the same. Would this work? I'll have the Haynes book on hand as well when doing this.
    That'll work, it's a straightforward job. But don't forget to puff and grunt the same number of times as Gordon. Verrrry important.

Fellow Frogger

Consider also replacing at least the larger of the two bushes at the front of the arm and using genuine parts, which are not especially costly relative to the effort involved with the job.

The balljoint splitter he has is fine, but a better type for this job is the two arm type with a central bolt. Don't forget to put the suspension to low so the strut is not under pressure. I forgot that once and couldn't get the balljoint to let go for fairly obvious reasons.

If it's gone soggy because LDS is leaking onto it, address that first or you will be back at this job again.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks, will do. You wouldn't happen to know the part numbers would you?

Folks,

For those that find this post when they search for how to get that dratted bush off the back of the Xantia arm, I have found that you can remove it easily using a 20 ton press. I will take some pics when I do my next one. My 6 ton press was not strong enough to do the job so it was down to see my son who has the 20 ton press. I did find my angle grinder and buy a cut-off disc as a backup though. My bush did not fall apart as easily as Gordons so I thought I would try some nicer methods first before butchering the existing bush.

I put some jaws from a bearing puller behind the center collar of the bush, then lowered the arm through the bottom rails of the press so that the bearing puller jaws could sit on the blocks of steel that sit across the rails of the press. Then fit a press accessory between the press ram and the centre piece of the arm in the bush and press away. We did hold our breaths initially as we applied force but then it started to move easily and came away cleanly.

I have not put my new bush on yet. Can anyone suggest a nicer way to install the new bush rather than the belt if on with a hammer method that Gordon uses?

Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by Ken W; 23rd May 2018 at 06:07 PM.

Thread Information