c5 2004 bsm connector ruined - urgent help needed
  • Help
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: c5 2004 bsm connector ruined - urgent help needed

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    israel
    Posts
    71

    Default c5 2004 bsm connector ruined - urgent help needed

    heya
    i have a big problem
    tried to replace the green connector on the BSM - got one from an old car - but i cut all the harness at onse in my car - didnt fit wire to wire 1:1 - so now i dont know what wire goes to which wire.

    how can i manage the sutuation....?????????
    b i g t r o u b l e

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudale mudale View Post
    heya
    i have a big problem
    tried to replace the green connector on the BSM - got one from an old car - but i cut all the harness at onse in my car - didnt fit wire to wire 1:1 - so now i dont know what wire goes to which wire.

    how can i manage the sutuation....?????????
    b i g t r o u b l e
    OK, Mudale. First things first. Yes, I am going to scold you.

    That was not a particularly bright action.

    End of scold.

    Moving on, do you still have the old connector? Are the wires color coded? For example: Red with a green tracer? Can you discern wire sizes? How many wires are in the old connector compared to the new one? Do you have access to a C5 service manual for your year and engine type? The big question for me is what led you to do this? Body and fuel module plugs seldom if ever fail.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    israel
    Posts
    71

    Default

    The old connector molted due to high temp in the ac wires. The problem is that many cables are just white. And what with the +/- I can't tistingwish

  4. #4
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudale mudale View Post
    The old connector molted due to high temp in the ac wires. The problem is that many cables are just white. And what with the +/- I can't tistingwish
    Christ on a motorized pogo stick, it blows my mind that PSA would design such a crappy connection system, it permits arcing and burning on a high-amperage circuit into a body module. No excuse for that PERIOD.

    Alright- rant over for now anyway- do you still have the burned connector? That will give you clues as to what pin goes into what port on the connector. It will also allow you to determine whether or not you have enough pins on the new connector, or too many, to complete the job.

    How closely to the old connector did you cut the wire? I'll get to the reason in a moment. On the flip side, did you cut a good length of wire from the donor harness? You are going to need at least a 100-150mm of working room to effect a splice.

    You say the wire is pretty much all white. Here is why I'm asking about how closely you cut the burned connector. On that wire, there is likely a series of numbers, and possibly letters in either black or silver ink. That numbering very often happens near the end of the wire. Now, don't panic if you don't see it! Cut the harness wrap/tape/covering back a 100mm or so, and look again. Yes, this is going to be tedious. Look very carefully. Use a magnifying glass if you have to.

    Now, if you didn't cut the old connector off too closely, look for evidence of the wire markings there. From there, you can draw a diagram up of what goes where. If you did cut them closely, here is where you'll need the wire diagram. Remember- it has to be for your model, year, and engine.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    brisbane Au
    Posts
    940

    Default

    As another old fart, I've bemoaned long and often over the use of these connectors, which in my opinion are the cause of many seemingly unrelated faults. Rubbish they be, designed by Citroen made to order by Molex, with terminals which are impossible to buy as a replacement part. The best you can do is use a Chinese replica with a slight modification, but they don't come with female terminals either. But if you do need any, some electrical wholesalers may stock the small ones only but you may have to buy a pack of 500. Those A/C- heater wires use heavy brass female terminals to carry the juice and are subject to much arcing and loss of contact due to heat and resulting contamination build up. Have I said they were rubbish? well they are. I feel for you mudale mudale.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    10,192

    Default

    Should we have the 'Mudale' awards for Automotive blunders??? Darwins for cars. Cutting a harness like that is almost a car killer.

    Even with a wiring diagram, it could be a challenge to put back together. The wire colours and cut lengths will narrow it down a bit as you wouldn't have cut each wire exactly the same way. The markings on the insulation and the angle that the insulation has been parted will also help.

    Once you have figured it out, change the wires one by one into the new connector, soldering in new ends where you have to. You need to stagger the soldered joints so they are not overly bulky. Don't forget to slip on some heatshrink before you join the wire, so you can then slide it down over the soldered joint. It would be a really good idea to find another car the same and see how the wires are allocated to the socket. The attached picture is from a 2001 HDi, but the green socket could have much the same wiring layout. If the melted wires extend further up the harness, you really should consider replacing the harness with one from a wreck as you will not know how many short circuits you have hidden inside the bundle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c5 2004 bsm connector ruined - urgent help needed-c5_hdi_fuse_sml.jpg  

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    brisbane Au
    Posts
    940

    Default

    What engine? and what number BSM unit do you have?. there are several different units but if it's a B3, I can give you the wiring numbers and where they plug into and which terminals are common. Cheers.
    Last edited by shanadoo; 10th October 2014 at 06:57 PM.

  8. #8
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    C'mon AF, he's been chastised enough. He made a mistake, he knows it, now how about let's help the guy, OK?

    Mudale, do you have the burnt connector? From what I see in David S' pic, there is a color scheme. This may not be as difficult as I had feared.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    israel
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Solved it guys, that's a relief for my wife (hers car)
    Took some time, shrinking isolation, Haynes diagram. Thank you all.
    Been very stupid.
    Thank god I'm ob&gun and have nice hands (but lousy mind)....cheers to all you helpers

  10. #10
    Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    3,543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudale mudale View Post
    Solved it guys, that's a relief for my wife (hers car)
    Took some time, shrinking isolation, Haynes diagram. Thank you all.
    Been very stupid.
    Thank god I'm ob&gun and have nice hands (but lousy mind)....cheers to all you helpers
    Ahhh, just be careful with those hands. They do some pretty sensitive work.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    israel
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    Should we have the 'Mudale' awards for Automotive blunders??? Darwins for cars. Cutting a harness like that is almost a car killer.

    Even with a wiring diagram, it could be a challenge to put back together. The wire colours and cut lengths will narrow it down a bit as you wouldn't have cut each wire exactly the same way. The markings on the insulation and the angle that the insulation has been parted will also help.

    Once you have figured it out, change the wires one by one into the new connector, soldering in new ends where you have to. You need to stagger the soldered joints so they are not overly bulky. Don't forget to slip on some heatshrink before you join the wire, so you can then slide it down over the soldered joint. It would be a really good idea to find another car the same and see how the wires are allocated to the socket. The attached picture is from a 2001 HDi, but the green socket could have much the same wiring layout. If the melted wires extend further up the harness, you really should consider replacing the harness with one from a wreck as you will not know how many short circuits you have hidden inside the bundle.
    DAVID S - after solving the problem. i would lie to learn how to bypass the AC connector because i think in a few months the connector will melt again.

    can i splice the fuel pump wire from the PP2 pulg and connect it to the blue thick AC wires??? that way discnecct them from the connector PP1.????

    can you tell me how to bypass ? lke in your attached picture ?
    please

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    brisbane Au
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudale mudale View Post
    DAVID S - after solving the problem. i would lie to learn how to bypass the AC connector because i think in a few months the connector will melt again.

    can i splice the fuel pump wire from the PP2 pulg and connect it to the blue thick AC wires??? that way discnecct them from the connector PP1.????

    can you tell me how to bypass ? lke in your attached picture ?

    please

    Sorry I replied, now deleted, I see the question was addressed to David S.
    Last edited by shanadoo; 11th October 2014 at 07:07 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •