C5 2004 HDi 2 litre auto..engine RHZ Fault with EGR valve,anti pollution,ESP etc
  • Help

Default C5 2004 HDi 2 litre auto..engine RHZ Fault with EGR valve,anti pollution,ESP etc

typical C5 fault....dash warning anti pollution & esp etc not working..
    symptons in my car was intermittent but getting more frequent...no power over 3,000 rpm
    (turbo not spooling up...computer stops turbo to protect it if values are out..)
    possible cause's are
    *brake light switch..it shorts & causes electrical gremlins...cheap to replace & easy to fit
    *MAF sensor...
    *EGR valve...or EGR solenoid....
    *Vacumn lines
    "battery....low on voltage

Advertisement

In my case the brake light switch was faulty and replacing that helped but after having the faults cleared the only fault to come back was faulty EGR valve...
    This valve relies on vacumn to open/close but can build up with carbon/oil and starts to stick or be slow to open/close affecting turbo spooling...
    the EGR valve is top left side of engine (slighty hidden) remove the rubber vacumn line so it is still attached to egr valve and suck on line...when you release sucking you will hear a clunk of the valve...if not then the diaphram in egr valve has had it (if so it can be replaced or blanked off)
    If there is a clunk then diaphram is ok and egr works (even if badly)
    next..run engine and put finger or tongue on end of egr vacumn piping that leads to egr solenoid...you should feel vacumn..if not then suspect solenoid faulty...
    My car's EGR valve diaphram is ok and it clunks but it took a lot of sucking to acheive it...so I suspect it is clogged up...time to remove & clean (with oven cleaner..see Youtube example)
    meanwhile..to drive with full boost again simply remove blue plug in to egr solenoid and remove egr valve vacumn hose from valve and block end....
    You will still get the anti pollution light but it now drives with power over 3,000rpm
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Fellow Frogger!

Hi dogboy, good to see a result posted, so many don't bother. In my case I simply disconnected the vacuum inlet hose to the EGR solenoid and plugged it. Left everything else as is. That way when the engine management commands the operation of the EGR, it thinks the operation has been completed. If that matters to it. Anyway Cheers.
    Last edited by shanadoo; 9th October 2014 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    Hi dogboy, good to see a result posted, so many don't bother. In my case I simply disconnected the vacuum inlet hose to the EGR solenoid and plugged it. Left everything else as is. That way when the engine management commands the operation of the EGR, it thinks the operation has been completed. If that matters to it. Anyway Cheers.
    a pleasure...Instead of taking my EGR valve off I'm having my mechanic put a WURTH product via inlet so cleans up not only the EGR valve but any other deposits of carbon etc..
    Then I will try to reconnect...meanwhile the transmission is getting used to revving right out now
    such an easy 'get me home trick'
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    a pleasure...Instead of taking my EGR valve off I'm having my mechanic put a WURTH product via inlet so cleans up not only the EGR valve but any other deposits of carbon etc..
    Then I will try to reconnect...meanwhile the transmission is getting used to revving right out now

I can't wait to get on to this at the weekend. It's only been annoying on a scale somewhere between distraction and exasperating but would be good to clear it up. Fingers crossed.

Care to specify the product?
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Fellow Frogger!

I'll leave mine disconnected, don't need it here in Queezsland. Cleaned out the manifold and intake ports a few years ago by removing the inlet manifold. What a bastardo-of -a job. Haven't seen sludge build up like that since the early Jap pre-combustion chamber diesels. Good luck 'ol buddy.

Thread Information