How hard is it to rewire a CX?
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: How hard is it to rewire a CX?

Default How hard is it to rewire a CX?

After 6 weeks in at the mechanic, my car has finally had a thorough going over. Unfortunately the seller was right when he said there's a big electrical problem. There has been attempts to rewire the car in the past, at which point power for the starter motor was accessed by splicing into one of the front power window switches. I know nothing about electronics, but I know that is wrong.

Advertisement

Basically it's going to cost quite a few thousand dollars to have done professionally, otherwise I'm thinking of giving it a go myself. If I can get hold of a wiring diagram, how hard is it to re-wire a car? Is it possible with no experience, but a fair bit of patience, and some basic soldering skills? I presume a lot of the looms can be bought online already set up.

It could be that my best option is to sell it, save my pennies and buy an example that's already running, although the body on this one is fantastic.

Which Model and year CX are we talking about?
    Cheers Gerry

85 CX25 GTI. Fuel injected. I'm happy to learn and have the patience. But I don't want to go starting the impossible. I intended on getting a mechanic to get everything going, then learn to work on it myself once it was originally running.

The rewire is going to be very intricate! The early models are a little more straight forward. It may be worth your while to source a replacement loom for the car. Try talking to Jochen Heusel at CX Basis.de. He may be able to point you in the right direction! Expect a fairly hefty cost although this approach may be more economic than a custom installed loom!
    Cheers Gerry

The rewire is going to be very intricate! The early models are a little more straight forward. It may be worth your while to source a replacement loom for the car. Try talking to Jochen Heusel at CX Basis.de. He may be able to point you in the right direction! Expect a fairly hefty cost although this approach may be more economic than a custom installed loom!
    You may only need the forward loom for the engine bay! Or you may need the dash loom as well, as this feeds down into the console!
    Cheers Gerry

JBN

Before you consider rewiring the complete vehicle, start by soldering each pair of wires in the multi-wire connector blocks behind the engine. Naturally, as you do so, slip a heat shrink sleeve over each join.

The muti-wire connectores are only used for
    (a) easy attachment of the engine electrics to the main loom at initial car construction time and
    (b) in the odd (for CX) removal of the engine from the car (and hence the engine wiring from the main loom).

At worse, you have wasted an afternoon but not destroyed the evidence required should you persevere with making a new loom.
    At best, you may have solved some/all of your problems.

Should you rewire the whole car, don't add unneccessary connectors. They are always a weakness. If down the line you did need to remove the engine, applying identifying tags to to wires before cutting them and then resoldering the joints after reinstalling the engine is the better option.

There is a NSW CCC member close to where I live that did rewire his CX (a 2 litre Douvrin engined car). If in a masochistic moment you decide to go that way, PM me with your phone/email details and I will get him to contact you with advice or a book of jokes, whichever he deems most appropriate.

John
    Jinandfonic likes this.

Fellow Frogger

The most difficult aspect of it will be that many wires are identified not by their colour, but by the tag on the end or the pin in the connector. There are about 5 colours used, so it's a matter of looking for all the cuts and splicing in new wires using solder and heat shrink tubing. It should be mostly the same as a 25ie Pallas, so you might be able to scrounge the forward part from a wreck, such as the parts car listed in northern NSW a few weeks back.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Best thing to do first up is find every "foriegn" wire .... snip it out and remove it. Every dodgy bypass, every crappy connector.... put it back to the way it was originally..... Now is the fun bit... Figuring out what is actually wrong. Remove the spare wheel and the shroud beneath it. There will probably be a stack of connector blocks there. Replace them if there the ones that allow you to unplug the engine harness for removal. Simply remove all connector blocks if they are just there to join up wiring harnesses (there is quite a few of these). Just snip them out and solder/heat shrink the wires together.

Above the battery, clean the earth point. Replace both the earth and power cables and battery terminals. This made a bloody enormous difference to my car.

Once you have done this, find what doesn't work and get back to us all.... Someone here will know how to fix it. Oh yeah, check all the relays... Any crusty connectors (eg: series/parallel/fan relays ....). Snip them off, solder in new relay bases. You can refit the existing relay. They seem to last forever, it's the connector that gets hot and melty.

Once all this is done.... Now your going to add some dodgy after market wiring of your own. You need to relay high beam, low beam and the starter solenoid. This is very simple to do.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information