How to remove a rounded off bolt
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How to remove a rounded off bolt

Default How to remove a rounded off bolt

Hi all
    Basic question trying to be dealt with by use of a basic toolkit.
    I'm trying to remove a GS undertray, and one of the rusty bolts connecting it to the edge of the guard is a bit rounded off and the 11mm sockets and spanners keep slipping rather than undoing it.
    What's the easiest approach to getting it undone, remembering that I will need to do it up again with another bolt? I've contemplated grinding the head off the bolt, but that won't let me get the threaded part out.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks.

Advertisement

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

1000+ Posts

Go to a serious toolshop and ask for a bolt extractor - they usually come in small sets. There is a coarse left hand thread that grips the bolt head.

How to remove a rounded off bolt-extractor.jpg

Failing that you could try a pipe wrench.

How much access to the bolt head do you have? Is it possible to use a Dremel to cut a screw driver slot in it? The Guard edge bolts have a slide on captive nut that the bolt screws into. If you cut off the head entirely you should be able to bend open the sliding part of the captive nut and remove it from the guard. These can be easily replaced with a good captive nut and M7 bolt!
    Cheers Gerry

Tadpole

I suggest you first try putting a liberal dose of coarse or medium valve grinding paste around the head of the bolt then try the spanner again. This often works and is also effective on slotted screw heads which have been damaged.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

weld another bolt to the head of it is usually the easiest way ... the heat helps loosen it too!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Vice grips?

Via the aussiefrogs App
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Hi Bruce,

Are you using 12 point or 6 point sockets...? If your using 12 point - then try a 6 point socket. I would dose the thread with a liberal amout of WD 40 and leave it a day or so as well.

Cheers,

Mark...

1000+ Posts

JUst to add to the above: before you attempt any of these may I suggest that you give a short sharp smack with a decent hammer. If your swing is limited put a broad pin punch on the head and give that a crack. Try filing the bolt head to give it a couple of flat sides again. Sometimes a good shifter with its broad jaws gives a little more purchase than spanner.

There's a socket that grips the flats and not the corners, you might be able to source one of those.

Of the gristle-grabber caste a good pair of vice grip may be the best last ditch option.

P
    Daily Drivers: R10, R12, R17T(?) Decouvrable

In the Shed(s):
    R8 (1.4 motor, 4 shock rear end), Dauphine, Pugeot 404

In the Past:
    Dauphine X2, R10 X lots, R12 X2, R16TS, R17TS

dvr
    Fellow Frogger!

Self locking wrench. I've got a few sizes and they're brilliant. Try ebay and sometimes Bunnings has them.

Lock nuts on primary mirror - Getting Started General Help and Advice - Stargazers Lounge

(The 4th post)

If the bolt is rounded, use a round ended spanner.
    Apply lots of WD39. That may be hard to get now, so try WD40.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Hi Bruce,

From your description, I'm guessing the bolt in question goes into a "u nut" clip with a pressed thread (as opposed to a captive nut)?

If this is right, then chances are the bolt stripped due to the thread being rusted solid. So there is nothing to be gained by extracting the bolt- Simply grind it off and deal with extracting the thread from the clip once it is out (soak in vinegar or WD), or find another one.

If it is one of the ones that goes into the weld on bolts on the front guard, a more careful approach would be worth while to avoid ending up with the end of the bolt jammed in the guard.

Personally, I am a big fan of using an electric impact driver on the front of GSes- it this seems to loosen rusted bolts very effectively and is much, much faster than socket set.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

nothing beats air driven implements! give it a gentle whack to bust the rust and tighten it first lightly to also aid this process. plus the WD
    lots of great responses here I like cutting a groove in it so you can have a crack with a screwdriver. lateral thinking rules!
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 5th October 2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    A week sprayed with inox, then filed the edges a bit flatter, and bought a set of vice grips which did the job.

Now, has anyone managed to successfully unscrew the one that holds the GS dashboard in up behind the instrument cluster? Last car I had to drill the head off, think I might have to use that approach again as all I've managed to do so far is start to mangle the Phillips head.

Via the aussiefrogs App
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Is it Phillips or Pozidriv? Make sure you have exactly the right bit.

The other old-timer's tricks for cross-head fasteners, are to flatten the point a little by careful grinding so the "grip" is further out from the centre, also to use coarse valve seating paste on the driver tip (as mentioned for the nut).

Thread Information