Time for a CX
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Time for a CX

Default Time for a CX

Need some advice, after many years of playing with DS's I am wanting to buy a CX. Not sure what is the preferred model, I am leaning toward a 5 speed, but is the 2500 better than the 2400 or is it better to stay with carby models rather than injection? How true are the rumors that they get very hot to travel in, in the summer.
    Going to use it as a daily runner, so looking for reliability and will be using it to travel from Geraldton to Perth (1000 km round trip) regularly.

Advertisement
    Wayne
    Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you may as well dance

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Think you'd find the 2.4 CX 5 speed carb a very reliable car, as good as a DS. But then after a while you might find it not very much different from a DS. A bit more economical, a bit quicker, a bit less roll, a bit quieter with the windows shut. The early 2 litre CX is underpowered but equally as reliable and probably gives the best economy on a long haul.

The CX turbo (diesel or petrol) is the one to go for in my opinion, as it's definitely distinct from the DS if you own both. The diesel one has excellent economy and the petrol one the opposite! But they both have loads of torque low down so you can minimise gear changing. On which note the gear change is poor compared with a D, completely out of sync with the accuracy and smoothness of the steering, brakes etc. The turbo engines are very reliable in my experience, although there were quite a lot of CX T2 diesels made which suffered from porous blocks, requiring engine swaps or stainless liners inserted back in the 80s and early 90s.

The CX is a complete design like the D. It has brilliant steering, brilliant ergonomics, brilliant brakes and suspension. A Pallas or Series 2 car is a very nice place to be in all weathers. I think the only things that let it down are the gearchange, the clicky door hinges and the lousy ventilation system - Citroen managed to make those things worse than on a D.

Have been driving D's and CX's since the early 1980s. Still think the DS edges it by quite a margin in my opinion and your coupe looks blinking fantastic!

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by d coupe View Post
    Need some advice, after many years of playing with DS's I am wanting to buy a CX. Not sure what is the preferred model, I am leaning toward a 5 speed, but is the 2500 better than the 2400 or is it better to stay with carby models rather than injection? How true are the rumors that they get very hot to travel in, in the summer.
    Going to use it as a daily runner, so looking for reliability and will be using it to travel from Geraldton to Perth (1000 km round trip) regularly.
    A couple of years ago a DS BVH man and I did back to back drives of his DS and my CX in Perth. Loved them both. The CX is completely different and more modern, but I'd hate to choose. Having both sounds a good idea. I suggest you PM "SKP" in Perth and ask about his and any others he knows of for sale in Perth. There might be a good C-matic going, all work always done on it AFAIK.

Mine is a 2400 C-matic and I just love it. The faster it goes the more secure it feels and the Diravi steering is fabulous. I think the GTi and 2500 efi manuals had a higher final drive ratio and might be better for Geraldton-Perth but a C-matic would surely do it nicely.

Good idea
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If you can find one anywhere ..... absolutely definitely a petrol turbo .... There's no extra complexity or reliability issues over a standard fuel injected car (the turbo motor really is very, very strong .... known for being unbreakable in standard tune). The performance over a standard 2500 GTi has to be experienced to be understood. Think 300Nm of torque from low revs. As a bonus they get better fuel economy than a standard petrol CX.

The trick is too find one ................................... and make sure it's not rusty "underneath".

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

JBN

I think the 1985 CX 25IE automatic is the best of the CXs. The closest I got to the fuel injection of the 25IE was a CX2400 C-matic with twin Weber DCNF45 carburettors (rare at the time and virtually impossible to source the manifolds now). At 160kph it achieved that at 1000 RPM less than the 2400.

The CX is always awkard with 3 pedals. The C-matic was quaint but problematic, but had room for the left foot. The automatic likewise left room for the left foot. The car is a luxury tourer. Minimal effort Diravi steering, minimum effort brakes and therefore suits minimum effort driveability - automatic.

They are indeed hot. Standing on a platform at the Big Pineapple on the Sunshine Coast, I looked down at my CX. Very small roof, very large glasshouse. Not good for hot days.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I think the 1985 CX 25IE automatic is the best of the CXs. The closest I got to the fuel injection of the 25IE was a CX2400 C-matic with twin Weber DCNF45 carburettors (rare at the time and virtually impossible to source the manifolds now). At 160kph it achieved that at 1000 RPM less than the 2400.

The CX is always awkard with 3 pedals. The C-matic was quaint but problematic, but had room for the left foot. The automatic likewise left room for the left foot. The car is a luxury tourer. Minimal effort Diravi steering, minimum effort brakes and therefore suits minimum effort driveability - automatic.

They are indeed hot. Standing on a platform at the Big Pineapple on the Sunshine Coast, I looked down at my CX. Very small roof, very large glasshouse. Not good for hot days.

John
    Hi John,

Have you ever driven a petrol turbo .................... They probably accellerate in a similar fashion from 200km/h as a 2500ie slugomatic does from 100km/h ..... ....
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Now is certainly the time to jump in and get a CX. With a C-Matic 2400, GTi 5 speed 2500 and a Series 2 turbo 1 all for sale at the moment, it's just a matter of picking which one suits you best. Never has there been such variety and quality for sale all at the same time!
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Quote Originally Posted by donat View Post
    Now is certainly the time to jump in and get a CX. With a C-Matic 2400, GTi 5 speed 2500 and a Series 2 turbo 1 all for sale at the moment, it's just a matter of picking which one suits you best. Never has there been such variety and quality for sale all at the same time!
    What's the turbo 1 for sale That's the sister car too mine!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

You won't regret getting one. The only thing to really worry about is can you put up with the clutch on a manual. I couldn't. So the choice is either a C-matic or Automatique. The auto is higher geared (37km/1000rpm compared to 31.) but they both allow the car to be driven so smoothly, suits the character of the car perfectly. The C-matic will probably be an early narrow track car and so will ride better but trade that off for slightly better handling of the wide track (flared front guards) cars. For the best handling run jot on 195/70 tyres for very little increase in road noise.

As with any old car purchase buy the best you can afford. If that turns out to be a 2500 auto you will have one of the best of the CXs
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thanks for the replies everyone, sounds like any of the models are good in their own right. After reading through the threads I think I will look toward the 2500 injected ones, turbo would be great but I suspect that they are rare. Finding one on the east coast sounds like a good excuse for a road trip.
    Wayne
    Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you may as well dance

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

There's a brilliant CX for sale on here and Gumtree, but it's about $14k. Manual GTI that looks fantastic. I would love to have that one, but too far out of my budget. I just bought a CX25 GTI auto for $1000. Needed a lot of work. At this stage it's with my mechanic in Melbourne getting running so I can at least drive it home and work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBendigo View Post
    There's a brilliant CX for sale on here and Gumtree, but it's about $14k. Manual GTI that looks fantastic. I would love to have that one, but too far out of my budget. I just bought a CX25 GTI auto for $1000. Needed a lot of work. At this stage it's with my mechanic in Melbourne getting running so I can at least drive it home and work on it.
    I did see that one, agreed that would be awesome, however that is out of my budget too. The one you just got would suit as I am a TAFE lecturer in both mechanics and panel beating, so I could use it as a project.
    I have driven a 2500 GTI Auto and they are great to drive. There are quite a few for sale at present, so will get serious when I get back from holidays.
    Wayne

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Injection for sure its much more superior. More responsive, more power, starts and runs well in the cold and none of that constant carby maintenance.

The auto is very slow at any speed below about 80 kph. But feels more fitting at 100 kph +.

I dont do daily traffic driving so the manual is fine for my weekend runs. I'd be more inclined to have an auto or cmatic for daily traffic use. I drove a cmatic for one day on loan once and it was a pleasure, easy and forgiving in traffic, where taking off in second and leaving it in second in traffic was no problem. Probably the most thirsty of the three.

When I owned the CX auto I always thought it lacked power and needed more gears. The petrol turbo 5 speed resolves these issues. The turbo performance gives you much more flexibility with an engine that can deliver huge amounts of torque at low revs allowing sedate driving at low speeds or open the throttle to unleash the monster that will constantly thrill and surprise you and your passengers. It will pull up hills, over take and cruise with reassuring confidence and a massive smile on your face.

Adrian

Current;

Xantia V6 Exclusive Auto 2000

Past;

CX25 GTI Turbo series 1 1985
    DS23 IE Pallas 5sp 1974
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984 Parts
    2CV 1988
    CX25ie Pallas Auto 1984

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Hi John,

Have you ever driven a petrol turbo .................... They probably accellerate in a similar fashion from 200km/h as a 2500ie slugomatic does from 100km/h ..... ....
    No, I haven't driven a petrol turbo. Nor indeed have I driven at 200kph.

Shane, how many times have you lost you licence from speeding? My score is 5 times, the last being exclusively in a 2CV.

If you drive fast, you don't really need that much power. Persistence and a complete disregard for licence points wins out every time. If, on the otherhand, you like to impress at the traffic light GP, there is nothing to substitute for raw power. If the course is only a 200m long straight, any V8 or HSV is fine. On the latter vehicles, I pass HSVs far more than they pass me in my 2CV. When you spend up to $80K for a car which you rarely use 70% of its power, it is an indication of bad money sense conquering commonsense.

The HSV owner has a rapidly depreciating asset, depreciating at the same rate as its potential acceleration.
    The 2CV is an appreciating asset, sadly only appreciating at its potential acceleration, but at least appreciating.

In the UK I was a passenger in the CX Turbo 1. I was impressed by its power. I was also a passenger in a BX 16V, and that driven at the speed it was on a windy country lane had the sphincter muscle at threshold.

Its horses for courses. I have two horses and its good for any course. I also get to watch the scenery.

John

At the other end of the spectrum is the car I drive most days a CX 2000 Safari. It has an awesome ride, is very practical as a load carrier even though the width of the load area is not as much as you might expect. The power is not really there but I like the two-stage throttle which makes it feel like you are doing something if you open that second throat in the carby.......actually it's just making more noise but feels fast.

It's been the best CX for long journeys and also the most economical and I average about 8L/100 these days. I saw you were a panel beater lecturer....need a project?? Mine would be perfect as it surely needs some panel beating expertise before the real respray (industrial enamel is crap and only last a year). The problem is I would be hard pressed to let it go I just love it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy N View Post
    At the other end of the spectrum is the car I drive most days a CX 2000 Safari. It has an awesome ride, is very practical as a load carrier even though the width of the load area is not as much as you might expect. The power is not really there but I like the two-stage throttle which makes it feel like you are doing something if you open that second throat in the carby.......actually it's just making more noise but feels fast.

It's been the best CX for long journeys and also the most economical and I average about 8L/100 these days. I saw you were a panel beater lecturer....need a project?? Mine would be perfect as it surely needs some panel beating expertise before the real respray (industrial enamel is crap and only last a year). The problem is I would be hard pressed to let it go I just love it so much.
    I was wanting the wagon at first because of the load carrying capacity, as I want it as a regular car having something concourse would be a waste. I have been given a wagon that requires a lot of work and is unlicensed, but feel I would rather have something licensed that wants a tidy up.
    Wayne

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Here's the one .... Just get someone to check it's belly for rust for you ..... 68,000miles isn't even run in for one of these things

Citroen CX 1985 Black For Sale, (Car Advert 254881) | ClassicCarsForSale.co.uk

seeya,
    shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

This would be better, I am in Mulhouse France at present. It's at the Schlumberger Brothers Museum. Over 500 cars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time for a CX-1412533664756.jpg  
    Wayne

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

This would be better, I am in Mulhouse France at present. It's at the Schlumberger Brothers Museum. Over 500 cars
    Yeah but the bloody french ..... they have gone and put the steering wheel on the wrong side of all there cars

That CX above .... Did you notice the engine shot. This is entirely normal for a pommy car:

This one could possibly be a good car, there isn't even holes across the top of the air cleaner housing (where salty water will sit).

It's remarable how many Series II Turbo 1's are about. They must have survived way better than both the Series I turbos and the Turbo II's.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Ahh, are you going to any other museums while you're there? I went to France in June, did the Renault Museum in Paris (no cars, just Memorabilia), CitroMuseum in Castellane (up in the Alps), Peugeot Museum and Factory in Sochauex, Schlumpf Collection, and Musee de Automobile (?) in Reihms.

Peugeot Factory tour I expected would be my least favorite, but turned out to be one of the highlights. Probably the CitroMuseum was my favorite of them all. The Reihms Museum is a big tin shed, but has a couple of concept cars, like an R16 sedan, and I can't remember what else. In effect it's a few private collections of car nuts all put together. In Australia a lot of the cars would have been crushed by the manufacturers, or still in their collection. The Schlumpf collection was amazing, but I was a bit disappointed. If you're a Bugatti fan, or fan of vintage cars, it would be one of the best in the world, but I am keen on post-1960's cars, and there were few of them there.

Back on the topic of CX's, that $14k is perhaps starting to seem like a bit of a bargain to me.....

Ahh, are you going to any other museums while you're there? I went to France in June, did the Renault Museum in Paris (no cars, just Memorabilia), CitroMuseum in Castellane (up in the Alps), Peugeot Museum and Factory in Sochauex, Schlumpf Collection, and Musee de Automobile (?) in Reihms.

Peugeot Factory tour I expected would be my least favorite, but turned out to be one of the highlights. Probably the CitroMuseum was my favorite of them all. The Reihms Museum is a big tin shed, but has a couple of concept cars, like an R16 sedan, and I can't remember what else. In effect it's a few private collections of car nuts all put together. In Australia a lot of the cars would have been crushed by the manufacturers, or still in their collection. The Schlumpf collection was amazing, but I was a bit disappointed. If you're a Bugatti fan, or fan of vintage cars, it would be one of the best in the world, but I am keen on post-1960's cars, and there were few of them there.

Back on the topic of CX's, that $14k is perhaps starting to seem like a bit of a bargain to me.....
    Managed to go to the CitroŽn dealership in the Champs Eyes.
    Time for a CX-p1020433.jpgTime for a CX-p1020444.jpgTime for a CX-p1020435.jpgTime for a CX-p1020443.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Time for a CX-p1020435.jpg  
    Last edited by d coupe; 8th October 2014 at 06:16 AM.
    Wayne

Citroen DS 23 Coupe
    Citroen CX 2400 Wagon
    Ford Territory TS AWD

Quote Originally Posted by IE23 View Post
    Injection for sure its much more superior. More responsive, more power, starts and runs well in the cold and none of that constant carby maintenance.
    I forgot to ask - WHAT carby maintenance? I rarely have to touch carburetors more than once every 10-20 years.

Cheers

John
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1950 (R1062)
    Renault R8 1965 (R1130)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2006 (daughter's)
    Renault Scenic Series II 2007 (mine)

CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980 (moved on to new custodian)

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Here's the one .... Just get someone to check it's belly for rust for you ..... 68,000miles isn't even run in for one of these things

Citroen CX 1985 Black For Sale, (Car Advert 254881) | ClassicCarsForSale.co.uk

seeya,
    shane L.
    Very practical on a 40 degree day...

A black CX is guaranteed heatstroke material.
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Managed to go to the CitroŽn dealership in the Champs Eyes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020433.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	61597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020444.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	61599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020435.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	61600Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020443.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	61601

Cool. They changed the display since June. I'm starting to like the Cactus.
    Time for a CX-20140610_121839.jpgTime for a CX-20140610_122554.jpgTime for a CX-20140610_122904.jpgTime for a CX-20140610_123154.jpg

JBN

Cool. I'm starting to like the Cactus.
    You are on the right Forum. This is a mutual self help society for people with cactus Citroens.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information