Bump Stop Housing
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Bump Stop Housing

Tadpole

Default Bump Stop Housing

Hello D people,

I was replacing all of my rubber bump stops. Thanks to the advice on here re the hose clamp and freezing installation was proceeding really well until..

The housing of the rear arm for the upper stop has split at its base. I was wondering where I can go from here. Has this happened to anyone else and would there be any way to repair it? From what I can tell the housing is integral to the radius arm and that would seem like a pricey item to replace.

Bump Stop Housing-img_1500.jpg

Advertisement

cheers
    Owen

Fellow Frogger

That is just where the pressed steel cup is joined to the arm. It's not a crack in the arm, but your cup has been crushed and the new bump stop will likely fall out anyway. They are available from the usual European vendors if you have to replace it. You could try straightening it a little and tack welding if it is very loose. It only has to hold the rubber in place, so it may not matter a lot if only partly detached and you probably don't want to make work for yourself.

Tadpole

Thanks David

that is so annoying, I'd clean it up, ie get the crap off it and maybe even try a good smattering of metal glue on it, to do it properly would require removing the whole arm and getting a replacement cup and welding in. Guess what? Your bearings are probably up the pooper as well. : (
    have alook at this-
    74 DSpecial Renewal

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    that is so annoying, I'd clean it up, ie get the crap off it and maybe even try a good smattering of metal glue on it, to do it properly would require removing the whole arm and getting a replacement cup and welding in. Guess what? Your bearings are probably up the pooper as well. : (
    have alook at this-
    74 DSpecial Renewal
    In the US (and I would think you can find something similar in OZ) Dorman makes an engine plug (555-076) that makes a good substitute for the holder. You only need to make a hole in the base to go over the round protrusion that the original was crimped to. In my case I used a good epoxy cement to hold the the Dorman plug in place. You do need to clean the metal on the suspension arm throughly so the cement holds well. 6 years on I would say it the fix is more than adequate.

The problem with the original holders is that over time they get bent inwards. Makes putting in new rubbers a PITA. If not completely destroyed I have been able to salvage them by pressing the bottoms flat and then brazing a large metal washer to their base to reinforce and then reattaching to the suspension arm using epoxy cement. If destroyed then the Dorman plug is a quite viable option.

Steve

Tadpole

Thanks everyone, I will have a go at tidying it up and using some metro glue and let you know how it goes

Fellow Frogger!

Had the same thing on my D
    Just broke the cup off, straightened it up, tacked it back on with a light stick weld
    Doesn't look like coming off
    The stops if the cup is not distorted just push in with robust clamp as a press
    If they are not going in you will find the cup distorted
    They don't need much distortion to not accept the stop

Thread Information