CX heater box removal
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: CX heater box removal

Default CX heater box removal

I've got to take the heater box out of my CX. Have got the stepper motor on passenger side clicking like mad unless I set temperature to hot, and the clicking rate goes faster if I turn the fan down. Like having a woodpecker in the car!

I'm guessing it's the motor gear not meshing with the flap gear, but it's a sealed unit on this CX so I am going to have to get at it from the inside. Not obvious to me what's gone wrong to cause it. From cold start with temperature set on cold I can drive about 5 miles before it starts clicking, then have to turn the temp up to get rid of it, and then turn it up further again a bit later. Death by woodpecker or heat!

I've got things nearly out but two questions. Do I have to take the dashboard out to free it at the inside top? Do you need to take the seats out to get enough room to pull it all through?

Advertisement

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Default CX heater box removal

That's a huge job. You have mentioned this issue before. No luck by just removing the carpets from sides of console? CX ventilation flap clicking CX ventilation flap clicking
    The UK link plus a few other euro sites have covered this issue. Good luck.
    Last edited by Jinandfonic; 21st September 2014 at 06:45 AM.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Quote Originally Posted by Jinandfonic View Post
    That's a huge job. You have mentioned this issue before. No luck by just removing the carpets from sides of console? CX ventilation flap clicking CX ventilation flap clicking
    The UK link plus a few other euro sites have covered this issue. Good luck.
    Yes I've gotten away with it all summer by having the connector to the motor unplugged and the temp on cold. But need to sort it now as the weather will change soon here. Why oh why did they change it from an external gear and make it a sealed unit on later CX's!

I've checked the motor and cogs and it's working fine, so it must be fouling on the gear inside the heater box. Think it relies on mechanical force to stall the motor at the end of the flap cycle. Only other idea I've had is to find the 12V feed to the motor and put a switch in line with it so I can choose 'cold' without the clicking.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by marc61 View Post
    Yes I've gotten away with it all summer by having the connector to the motor unplugged and the temp on cold. But need to sort it now as the weather will change soon here. Why oh why did they change it from an external gear and make it a sealed unit on later CX's!

I've checked the motor and cogs and it's working fine, so it must be fouling on the gear inside the heater box. Think it relies on mechanical force to stall the motor at the end of the flap cycle. Only other idea I've had is to find the 12V feed to the motor and put a switch in line with it so I can choose 'cold' without the clicking.
    I've done that with my earlier CX fresh air flap. It had failed all together. I renewed the motor (hobby store) & put a spare power window switch in to activate it. Otherwise it will burn out as they is it always on one way or the other. There are rubber grommets under the screws holding the gear unit against the flap cog. They could have perished causing it to bounce & click.
    Citroen C5 II manual '05; C4 Exculsive '07; Citroen CX2200 Pallas '76; CX2400 C-matic Pallas '78

Thanks, that's a great tip fitting an extra window switch!

I put one in line with one of the supply wires to the flap motor and can now get full cold without clicking because when I let go of the switch it cuts the power to the motor - hooray!

Have obviously lost the automatic temperature control, but will see how it goes. Just need to touch the switch every now and then to reposition the flap. A damn site easier than pulling out the heater box!

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Thread Information