SM ignition key switch
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default SM ignition key switch

Can anyone help with the removal of the switch.The key won't fully insert and I would like to get the switch to a locksmith without causing damage. thanks

Advertisement

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

You need to remove the cover above and below the steering column ( slide the side chrome strips to release)
    This exposes the steering lock. From memory... ( I can't get at mine at the moment - the gearbox is out getting a birthday, and the car is parked against a wall.) the two securing bolts underneath are the conical head type and need to be loosened with a small chisel on the side.

Cant recall any more... should get you started at least!

SKP

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

There is all the SM experts you could ever want here

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages

Join up. It'll be more than worth your time! The LHD cars maybe different to the locally converted RHD cars too.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Good info as usual thanks Shane.

If the tumblers are jamming, I'd suggest trying some graphite powder down the barrel. It worked wonders on my DS23.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Quote Originally Posted by dave m View Post
    Can anyone help with the removal of the switch.The key won't fully insert and I would like to get the switch to a locksmith without causing damage. thanks
    I removed mine by drilling a hole at the 12 o'clock position through the aluminium casting to enable the shaft of a thin screwdriver to be pushed through it to push back the locking finger so that the ignition switch can be withdrawn. I can take a look later to define exactly where you need to drill.

Once the switch is out it was relatively easy to take it apart, two C clips, but watch the position of the bits inside as you take it apart slowly. Mine was really grimy but it cleaned up ok. Its all copper inside apart from one solder track which may be a bit worn and need some fresh solder adding to build up its profile.

I did all that put it back together and still got intermittent starting issues! Hence the suggestion of fitting a pushbutton starter switch. I fitted mine in the hole where the cigarette lighter goes, it's just a case of running two wires from it to two of the wires feeding the ignition switch that sit on top of the bundle. Then the button operates the solenoid and the key just operates the ignition. Solved the problem in my case.

Cheers

Marc
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Thread Information