Anything to worry about ?
  • Help

Default Anything to worry about ?

Hey guys been a while since i posted been having a great time with my 2007 C4 2.0ltr Love it it does everything it promises and more.

Now all us french car owners hide the dirty little secret about how unrliable the electrics can be at times so hence tonights question.

I live about 10 mins from shop and was taking car threre from a cold start. Stopped at lights all fine went to take off wrked normal then once changing into 3 service light came on gearbox locked in three.

Advertisement

Pulled over turned off and on again service light clearned car ran fine.

Should I be worried or can it wait the 1700 kms to service

Thanks

It has the AL4 gearbox and what you describe is the box going into full hydraulic limp mode. Has the gearbox oil ever been changed? AL4s need the ATF changed every 20k for reliability. Can you wait the 1700km to the next service? My advice would be to have the service done early and get the car looked at ASAP. The problem is probably the pressure regulation solenoid, fairly easy to get to and may as well change the converter lock up solenoid at the same time as it is nearby.
    Mine

CX Prestige
    Toyota Prius

In the family

Xantia SX

Thanks for the quick supply should have the folding to do it next week, Let me assure you it does not go far buying a scooter in the next month or so since Im so central to everything feels like running the C4 is just wasting it away on nothing lol.

again thanks guys

Stuart

1000+ Posts

Default AL4 problems !

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    It has the AL4 gearbox and what you describe is the box going into full hydraulic limp mode. Has the gearbox oil ever been changed? AL4s need the ATF changed every 20k for reliability. Can you wait the 1700km to the next service? My advice would be to have the service done early and get the car looked at ASAP. The problem is probably the pressure regulation solenoid, fairly easy to get to and may as well change the converter lock up solenoid at the same time as it is nearby.
    Hi madmanau
    Would agree in principle with the above statements. However if you are getting a Citroen dealer to do the work I would recommend you get a quote first. Citroen dealers have been known to charge thousands for this job. You have been warned.

Any competent Auto transmission place should be able to do it for hundreds instead. Also upgrade the oil to a better quality synthetic type than the original. Just check that you get a suitable oil type not just any generic one.
    good luck Jaahn

Thread Information